Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What would happen if...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ilovemynsr150sp, Jul 8, 2007.

1. hey everyone, about 2 weeks back i experienced a small problem on my nsr... they wires comin from the ignition barrel itself were loose, so me and my dad soldered them bak on...its working perfect now, we will bring it to an auto mechanic to get it fixed right...now my question is what would happn if the wires come loose again during riding?? thanks,

2. Short answer, bike would turn off.

well this is based off my knowledge of car ignition barrels

there's the positive wire for power from the battery, and the other is for when the bike is "on". When you turn the key you connect the +12v wire to the "on" wire and then all the electrics are on. Then you press the starter button to start the bike.

If either of the wires were to become disconnected the bike would lose all its power and shut off. the engine would stop, the lights would go out etc
  3. thanks for the reply, that is just what i thought...i just thought i should post it up here before i kill myself haha...thanks
  4. The bike just shutting down would be the best case scenario the worst would be a dead short followed by flame/fire etc etc .
  5. i like fire, especially engulfing an nsr 150.

"Small" electrical problems like this are not uncommon. If your old man did a competant job of it i would not bother even taking it to an auto elec. But if you are at all concerned definatley get it checked out.

Unfortunately for me you bike would not likely engulf in flames as the ignition circuit is fused close to the battery. Any short circuit will blow the fuse and create an open circuit.