Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What went wrong...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Donshe, May 4, 2007.

1. Just thought Id get some opinions on what couldve gone wrong today.

I was coming into a fairly large roundabout, did the usual things, setup speed, checked for cars, started to lean in, looking forward, leaned a little further than I normally would but I was feeling good.

Last thought was "Im a little close to the centre of this lane" (Oily patches in the centre of the road bother me)

Next thing I know Im seeing my bike sliding to the kerb and Im looking at the headlights of the car behind me.

It was very gentle, at speed but gentle since I was leaned over the bike didnt have far to drop. My thinking is I just caught a bad patch of road and it slipped out from under me? But I also THINK I may have eased off the throttle mid turn for some reason, Im not sure, but if I did, could this be a factor too?

Anyway, I hate roundabouts now !!

2. "Drifters" dump diesel/oil on 'bouts all the time.

3. depending how far you geared down and how much throttle you had on at the time, yes backing off the throttle could have caused you off, as the engine has reduced revs causing a compression lock up

the center line you say? unless you have hit the center line and it was wet i dont think your positioning had much or anything to do with your off, as the oil isnt on the center line, its in the middle of the lane between the wheel tracks

4. Yeah, cos they have no idea how to "drift".

5. if it happened that quick, you probably lost the front end.... usually you wont lose the back unless youre really low, but its all over real quick when the front tyre slips out :shock: .

6. Are you OK? how'd you come out of it? and the bike?

Your post doesnt specify if it was the front or rear that went out from under you, but if you rolled off the throttle mid turn then the weight transfers to the front, causing the rear tyre to have less bite on the road. Perhaps, as you were near the centre of the lane (where there may be, as you say, oily patches) this was enough to cause the back end to lose traction?

Stay on the throttle through turns. And if i recall correctly you have a pretty narrow rear tyre, so you can't go leaning it over too far. If you went over "more than I normally would" you may have reached its limits (combined with the possibly oily road surface).

Sure, drifters put oil down on the road, and innocent people have had accidents because of it, but really, its unlikely you were a victim of that. Did you go back and check the surface?

Hope you're OK mate.

7. If you lost the front end, it is maybe because you were keeping too tight a grip on the bars (the cause of my big crash a while back). Allow the suspension to do its job by maintaining a light grip on the bras, I mean bars.

Should have put this in my last post, sorry.

8. Qbnspeedfreak- It was the centre of the lane, not the centre of the line.

Withnail- Yeah my tyres are narrow, but Ive leaned over that far before, and even lower on some occasions. But i don't usually lean as far as I did today on roundabouts if that makes sense.

It happened pretty fast, so Im not sure which tyre cam out, but it felt like I was leaning over and the bike just slid out from underneath me really gentyl. The damage to the bike shows that, its only got scuffed lower fairings and the rear brake lever was bent up. So it didn't go down hard. I was told by a friend that if I did infact run out of tyre, I wouldve gone down harder than I did.

I didnt go back to check it out, I rode onto Uni for class once the brake lever was fixed. Have to say thanks to the fella who stopped in his car to help me get it straight, turns out he was a rider, said a couple of his mates went down on the same roundabout :S

Throttle off- Im not sure if that was before or after I came off, which is why I said I "think" I rolled off, but I'll keep it in mind never to roll off mid-turn.

Grip/position was my usual relaxed seating.

Oh and, I came out fine, just skinned my knees and tore my Draggins. It was small but very irritating as they kept rubbing the knee alllll day !

Andyeah, Im pretty certani no drifters have attacked this roundabout, Im personally attibuting it to misjudging the road surface and leaning where I shouldn't have been.

9. hmmmm maybe its just me but i always tend to take roundabouts real easy as sometimes its a little hard to keep watching ur exit and keeping an eye out on the road surface.

To many accidents happen @ roundabouts.(all types of vehicles)

Glad to hear ur ok :cool:

10. Heaps of possibilities here. Definately sounds like the front went though. Losing the back is a more noticable feeling.
    If you had rolled off the throttle the bike would have started to stand up a bit, weight moves forward and would have improved front traction.
    I think just a case of the front slipping on some oil or smooth surface. Some roundabouts get real smooth after a while so making a 90 degree right turn on a tighter roundabout needs a bit of care.
    Have a good look at your front tyre (or both). Has it been on the bike a long time. Old tyres get hard and lose grip regardless of the amount of tread left.

11. yes

your front tyre has less traction in the lean, less wieght, when you ease off the throttle, the wieght is transfered to the front tyre and you get a low side which is a gentlel fall off.

kinda like tapping the front breaks mid corner.

stump it up! :cool:

12. Agree. My only off(crosses fingers, touches wood, tightens sphincter) was like this. Sedately turned into a city corner at night doing about 25 looking well ahead into the corner and didn't see the patch of diesel/oil right on the best line around the corner. First thing I remember was the sound of the bike screaming as it wore it's fairings and exhaust can off on the road. I don't remember anything about the 1/2 a second it took between controlled riding to hitting the tarmac as I was pretty much thrown into the ground. The front end had instantly departed the fix and for such a low speed crash it ended up being pretty violent. My whole right side was sore for about 3 days but I had mostly good gear on so the only damage I received was some lost skin on my knee because I just had normal jeans on.

It doesn't take much when that 10 square cm that is holding you to the road is no longer there.

13. notice you live in blacktown. use to ride through there frequently, myself.

out of curiosity which roundabout was it?

14. +1 check your tyres. Could also happen if tyres are cold too, need to ride more gently until tyres are warmed up.

15. The first roundabout on Vardys Rd as you turn off Sunnyholt. So, heading towards Blacktown from Hills, take a left onto Vardys, the first one. Its got a weird angle to it.

Id been riding for around 10 mins. My tyres are factory from 1989 :p... But they have 4000kms on them so far. So theyre not worn down to a bad level at all.

After replaying it in my mind, Im now of the opinion that I did infact roll off the throttle, don't ask me why, it just happened. Either ways, I'll be paying closer attention from now on ! I just don't get to the twisties much so roundabouts are a quick fix for me... Heh

Oh and my leg is killing me !

16. WHAAA!!! Factory from 1989!!!!???...They're no good any more...too old...the rubber is useless no matter how much tred you have on them.
    John.

17. Yeah the rubber can go off and get rock hard.

18. Have to agree. That is 100% your problem right there. After 18 years your tyres are about as grippy as standing on marbles on a tiled floor.

19. Lots of things can cause your front to tuck - If you didn't see any surface conditions gravel/oil/surface chance/man hole cover and the list goes on .. that may have caused it then..

Having your rebound dialed up to much can cause the front to tuck. Worn/notchy steering head bearings can do it.

But as others have mentioned.. the 1989 tyres seem to be the most likely suspect. The compound degrades over time - you can slow the process by storing away from the air, and out of light (wrap it in gladwrap, then in a black garbage bag i'm told does the trick).

The advances made in motorcycle tyre technology in the last 18 years is quite extrodinary. Get some new tyres, you'll be amazed at the difference.

20. Again, it seems that a combination of factors has contributed to this mishap! I'd suggest that the combination of old and degraded rubber and a bit of lean (from what I gather you felt you entered the roundabout a bit warmer than normal) were major contributors, with throttling down etc just adding to the situation.

May I be so bold as to suggest investing in some new tyres?

Cheers

Neil