Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What was socially acceptable 20 year's ago but is not now?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by jonnymac, Jul 13, 2016.

1. So I'm not old, not even close but even in the last 20 years what was acceptable but is not anymore is huge.

So tell me about a time long ago when something was normal but no longer is.

One that jumps out at me is smoking in restaurants!!!!!!

2. When I first worked in IT (1980's) at a major Data Centre, there was a pub across the corridor for staff only.
    It was big enough for 70 people and smoking was permitted.

3. People frown on the smacking of kids these days in public... Not sure about 20 years ago but go back 30 and it was a prerequisite to being a parent!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. I always imagine the new smoking rules (designated smoking area - no food to be consumed past this point) in pubs going like this:

"So there I was at my local the other night, in the designated smoking area, trying to enjoy a delicious cigarette, and some pig sits down next to me and starts eating a schnitzel. Can you believe this? God, it was all I could smell... Another one of those disgusting food-eaters ruining a perfectly good cigarette!"

I find this funny... To add something constructive to the conversation though, if I am able, one very specific thing I remember from my childhood (which wasn't all that long ago) is blackface comedy...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yes, the HeyHey It's Saturday incident with the moronic Harry Connick Jr. certainly put a nail in that one.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Only in public Sim?

I reckon the frown on it completely now.

Personally I believe there's a big difference between discipline and actual abuse. But I think those lines are very blurred now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. We are in the grip of the Contrived Outrage epidemic, and Governments can't keep out of it, all for our own good, of course...

As for stuff that's not acceptable these days, but used to be, the list would be too long to document. One thing that does amuse me, however, is that in an age in this country where people are less religious than ever before, we are positively up to our armpits with kids with Biblical names :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I don't think the lines are blurred; what's happening is that one person might be in danger of falling over the railing at a lookout, so they build a 20foot high wall, erect two hundred signs, and set fines of thousands of dollars if you even dare look over the edge. I'm certain that men, and women, have and do physically abuse their children, but I'm equally certain that millions of parents have raised god-fearing and solid citizens by applying the rod of correction to the seat of understanding. The Bible says 'foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah you're right JM, even hinting that you smacked your kids has you immediately on the back foot to all those PC do-gooders. Sure, using the jug cord on your kid isn't warranted at the best of times (I got it a lot in my day) but a warning smack surely can't be classed as abuse but yet is. You start getting into a contentious zone with this topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. drunk parents using kids on their Ls to get home :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Humphy B Bear being able to be on TV with no pants on - as far as I am concerned the world went officially mad on the day that he was banned

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wasn't Fat Cat in trouble for similar shenanigans?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. of course no-one could possibly be harmed by the stuff that SexBeforeSoccer dish up, could they???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. indeed he was

and don't get me started on what moron thought it was okay to bring the Thunderbirds back without the strings...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. FADS: Used to be called Fags when I was a kid, guess they went out with the smoking thing and the connotation of the word.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Heard a talkback story yesterday about police showing up on a parent's doorstep to investigate after a teacher reported a suspicion that he (the father) might yell at the child, who had been caught stealing.
    Which would constitute child abuse.
    (As it turned out, no charges were laid, but still...)

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. You think that's bad? Find the redubbed Kimba the White Lion with techno/house soundtrack!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. and they has red tips

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo say it's not true

• Like Like x 1
  20. That was back when gay meant happy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1