Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What was it? (motorbike)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Sep 21, 2006.

1. When I was younger (around 10 -15) my aunts and uncles used to joint own a motorcycle.
    They were all school teachers, so every school holidays we'd all stay at my grandparent's beach house.
    Now, the bike used to live at the beach house. I'm pretty sure it was a Suzuki, it was road regisetred and green. What was interesting though is it had super wide tyres on it (the wheels weren't a huge diameter), the bike was specifically set up for sand or mud work, it would climb right up sand dunes with ease. I know my relatives didn't have the nouse to build up something like this, so I was wondering what it was, as I'd like one for beach/ soft ground work.
    It was only a fairly small bike, but was not a mini bike.

Regards, Andrew.

2. Two things come to mind:

1. Monkey bike
    2. Road/Trail

3.  Top
  4. Monkey bike. Well cool. You can even get road registered versions new. Saw one in Rocky the other day. I think they wanted about $1600 ride away :shock: 50cc I think the new ones are.

Edit: Disregard the above cause you said it wasn't a mini bike. Monkey bikes are still cool however.

Cheers

5. Nah, I don't think this was a monkey bike: he said it wasn't as small as a minibike, and monkeys are even smaller. I remember a similar thing: tires almost like a trike or quad, but on a 2-wheeler. Is that what you meant?

6.  Top
  7.  Top
  8. I'd never seen one before. Kind of freaky looking.

9. From what I've seen they're quite a popular road bike in Japan - the large tyres are actually designed for potholes and riding up over high kerbs and gutters (something scooters aren't too good at).

10. i want one they look bizarre

11. With tyres like those I wouldn't know which way to get on the bike. :) :grin: :)

12. For the older farts here,they will remember the Leyland brothers.Two brothers and their families,kinda like Christian puritan explorers with a wholesome image.They used to rock all around Oz and go to places viewers asked them to.Kinda like the original getaway but just oz and with caravans. I seem to recall that they had a couple of them years ago,fitted nicely on the back of the caravan or sometimes the bullbar of the 4WD.Theory was there tyres are better for sand,especially if you got lower power me thinks.