Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What tyres are road legal?

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' started by MattiasL, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am new on this forum and have only been in Australia for 1 year.

It is time for me to buy a motorbike and I am thinking to get an off-road/adventure bike that is legal to register on the road, but I don't know what off-road tyres that is legal to use on the road? Is there somewhere I can check online? As I am looking for second hand bikes I don't want to buy one with tyres that's not legal on the road, or at least if there is some easy way to find out so I can add new tyres to the price.
  2. check the tyres, they wil have "off-road use only", of "not for road use" written on the sidewall
  3. Thanks.
  4. It's usually "Not for highway use" if they don't have that then they are road legal. What bike are you thinking of getting?

5. Ok thanks.

I found a Kawasaki KLR 650 on Gumtree that I was thinking to enquire about, but I am looking for any older 250-650 Enduro/dual-sport as long as its not too expensive and not too run down.
  6. I recommend the Suzuki DR650, look into it
  7. Ok I will, I appreciate your help.
  8. thats cuase he owns one:p
    also look into the transalp and the tenere
  9. :)

I actually found a Suzuki DR650 within reasonable price, but I will look for the ones you mentioned as well, I am not in a rush.

10. Kernel, why does it say, "Banned User", under your name. It makes no sense.
  11. +1 for the DR650...... cause I have one =D>

Cheap, reliable, basic mechanically(easy to fix), heap of aftermarket parts, alot of info / knowledge available.

check out the advrider site, particularly for info regarding Adventure bikes / tyre choice.... it's all there.
  12. You can say what you want under your user name, it's in the usercp.
  13. Oh fair enough. Cheers for clarification.

14. Thanks.
  15. Hi. I have a 2001 WR250F and I require some road legal knobby dirt bike tyres for road and dirt. I will be riding on mostly dirt so I was just wondering which tyre/tyre brand would be best
  16. Dunlop d606 mate
  17. Cheers
    So that is a reliable brand I guess.
  18. They get great reviews and I thought they were Pretty good. The road doesn't chew them up and for a beginner dirt rider they worked well IMHO in the bush. Apparantly guys get a lot of road klms out of them.