Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Tyre pressures would you run?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by VCM, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Just confused regarding tyre pressures on my baby hornet.
    I am running a set of Bridgestone Battlax on the rear, and Metzeler M-1 on the front. The tyre placard on the bike is not legible.
    I've searched for recommended pressures but have failed to find a 'recommended' range. ( ie 39-36ps1 etc ).
    So far all I have found is a SET figure of 36 - front 42 - rear. <<< no bottom or top range? Surely there must be a recommended range, You surely wouldnt use the same pressures in summer/winter/different loads etc. :?
    The tyres state MAX PRESS >> rear - 42 front - 42.
    I'm only a short-ass and weigh about 62Kg, so the bike carries a relatively light load.
    Any advice is always appreciated.

- Vinnie

2. Use the recommended pressure. Manufacturers who quote different pressures for heavy and light loads often don't change the front tyre pressure at all, and the rear only changes by a couple of PSI.

Check the pressure regularly,
    with the tyre cold, with an accurate gauge (not
    a service station pump), and as you get used to the bike you'll
    get the feel of different pressures and can choose your own
    settings.

3. I've always been told you shouldn't run different tyres. Can someone clarify this???

4. I've been told it's ok as long as the profiles match.
    I'd presume the compounds should be similar too.

I run 36psi on the back and 33psi on the front - that's what the sticker on the chain guard tells me. I've experimented a bit on the previous set of tyres ranging from 30 psi to 40 psi and 36/33 seem to be a comfy medium.
    I'm running Pirelli Diablos, if that makes any difference.