Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What type of scooter should I get

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by hugbear, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Am a big guy weigh 125kg would a 125cc scooter suit me, I just need it for a new job that i will be starting. I dont even have my licence yet, which i will need to get, how do I get a scooter licence and would a scooter be ok for my weight. I live in box hill melbourne

2. What's your budget?

Don't forget you'll need to factor in the cost of gear as well - gloves, helmet, jacket and possibly pants/shoes (tho you may have something suitable already there).
  3. at 125kg? i dont think even a six speed 125cc bike would get you going at a fair clip...
    might have to look bigger. if u need to get your bike licence anyway, y not go for a bike? tutor at uni rides a Yamaha XV250 (Virago). If you are into cruisers, that is not bad (and cheap when 2nd hand). He cant be far off 125kg and has no trouble moving around on it... or if you dont like the cruiser look, a 250cc naked will usually be cheap and go you well. or just do what all the cool kids do and get a GPX250 :)

4. No, you are far too heavy for a 125cc scooter. Even a 250cc would be very laggy and slow. Definately do NOT get a 125cc scooter, I've ridden a few eg. bug agility 125 and bowell or however its spelt.. and they took an epic time to get up to 80kmh and I'm around 85kg.

Don't do it. You've been warned.
  5. Do the rider training! Most scooter riders don't think like motorcyclists when they really should!
  6. >>> Most scooter riders don't think like motorcyclists when they really should! >>>

Really? So they should think like this then?

"Us motorcyclists, We're different. We live a life of ever-present danger mixed with sheer exhilaration as we soar through the car-bound mortals like gods mounted on super powerful steeds"

You wouldn't have a clue what scooter riders think, simply because they don't all think alike. Just like motorcyclists. I, for instance, think your tagline is the sort of self-justifying crap that gets riders killed due to feeling the need to live out the bullshit speed-is-all stereotype.

I know a few scooter riders who can ride rings around you, son, including the poster above you. They ride 'em because they like 'em. Freedom of choice. Novel concept it seems.

To the OP, try the Piaggio Fly 125. Good honest scoot with decent road speed. Not fast enough for the freeway but good for most suburban roads.
  7. Bumblebeeman1150 why so angry?

U have taken my comments the wrong way.

I have ridden scooters for years, I love them. I OWN ONE! anlong with my Motorcycle. I probably should have explained myself a little better, for that I apologize.

What I meant was that scooter riders (alot of first timers) buy one not having any riding training (like myself when I first got one). They head out on the road with no real understanding of the need to 'own' your part of the road and can get into some dodgy situations. Yes I know that speeding motorcycle riders can do the same. Thats another discussion for another time. I see alot of scooter riders without any protective gear bar a helmet flying along at speeds that I would be scared of coming off my bike at. Alot of they ride around without the 'health paranoia' that comes with motorbike riding.

I am making sweeping statements here but the message is the same. Without enough training some people (bike or scoot) look a little lost out there on the roads and you are left wondering when (not if) they are going to get knocked off. You are taught about looking around ALL the time when you get your motorcycle licence. Who tells a scooter rider to be aware of thier surroundings? I know it sounds simple and obvious but you would be surprised.

Once again it has nothing to do with me not liking scooters or scooter riders, Im sure the person it in the post above my orignal post could ride rings around me. Next time I see a ring riding competition on down at my local track ill be sure to message u to get his number. Those scoots surely do have a tighter turning circle! Great for ring riding comps!

As for my tagline. Mate, I wrote it because I like it. Freedom of expression. Novel concept it seems.

Im off to ride my vespa down to the shops.
  8. Okay, unnecessarily angry. Didn't quite mean to be that, and I take your point as a scooter rider. I'm calmer now :cool:

My concern is that this forum, like most others, continues to question scooters' validity, and tends to dismiss all scooter riders as dangerous/stupid/unskilled/morons/obviously unaware of the vast superiority of motorcycles. None of which is true for every case. Just as it isn't in motorcycling either. Good and bad, safe and unsafe.

I have friends who work in the scooter business (as I do sometimes to help out) and they are all fans of bikes and scooters. They encourage safety, safety gear and rider training. But all have customers who have had long and uneventful riding careers, with no training whatsoever, and who are clocking up tens of thousands of kms on fifties.

You might prefer they do a training program, and I share that view. But that they don't isn't automatically a guarantee of disaster. Some people just get it, and others don't. One customer racked up 28,000km on a Bug Pronto 50, realised she wanted to go further and faster and flew through her 250 licence. Now on a Vespa GTS. The licence was her first formal training, yet she has a better record than many trained riders.

We tends to forget that an 'unlicenced' rider on a fifty is not unlicenced to be on the road. Awareness of other road users comes with car experience, and the required strong instinct for self preservation on two wheels comes when you remove the comforting tonne and half of steel that used to surround you!

Riding a fifty takes a fair bit of nerve if you've never ridden anything before, and I'm horrified when I hear or see the odd rider overconfidently doing something monumentally silly, like take on 80km/h roads with a top speed of only 60. Just as new riders on sports bikes can scare me just the same way, getting in too deep too soon.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I think we agree, but I'm not happy when the world of motorcycling, sorely in need of getting its own house in order, takes a shot at scooters in general. Your post just brought my reaction to many other posts and threads to the surface!! Sorry.
  9. In principle you're right - I always thought a decent car driver should have no problem handling a small scooter. The problem is driver training and people's attitudes in general are so hopeless a lot of people who are licenced to be on the road in fact should not be allowed anywhere near a vehicle of any kind.

Also, your 50cc rule only applies in Queensland and ... ummm... WA perhaps?. But for the bulk of our population living in NSW or Victoria size makes no difference - 50cc or 500, they have to go through the same rider training that bike riders have to go through. But we still hear the same opinions being expressed about 'green scooter riders' being a menace while apparently it is OK to be a green bike rider.
  10. So to give you an idea hugbear, I'm anywhere from 110-120kg (i work in pounds), I've got a Vespa 50cc and I can get it up to 70 on flat surfaces(rare I want to or try to), or 40-45 going up Barkly Hill in St Kilda, or maybe 40 going up studley park road. That's pushing it for all she's worth.

No problem going 60 up and down st. kilda rd.

Keep in mind that two stroke engines will give you better power than a four stroke (typically). The 50cc is a joy to drive around, so freaking nimble and easy. Off a light I get up to maybe 25km/h before its starts to lag a half second and then zip again.

The main thing you need to consider is what you plan on using it for. The key to that is do you need to use the highway? If you do look at a 250cc. Otherwise anywhere from 50 to 125cc could work for you. If it's for work some of the bigger scooters may come with lock boxes in addition to the helmet box.

Yamaha city downtown has been good to me and they have a selection of larger scooter to look at.
  11. After watching Top Gear last night if you dont get an old Vespa you have rocks in your head :LOL:
  12. I had a 125 Vespa ET4 back in England , was great I loved it.
    I was about 95KGs and could easily get it to 70mph.