Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC What triggers the MCIU coming to an accident?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jul 23, 2012.

1. What triggers the MCIU investigating an accident?

The police news includes a report of an unfortunate driver fatality, that reads like a car car SMIDSY - and the MCIU were called. My understanding is that they rarely attend a similar type of motorcycle SMIDSY crash - which this sounds like, except for the number of injured.

Here's the story:

Woman dies in fatal collision at St Albans
    Thursday, 19 July 2012 22:09

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision in St Albans which occurred earlier tonight.

Investigators believe a sedan, travelling east on Taylors Road, commenced to turn right into East Esplanade when a car travelling west on Taylors Road struck the turning vehicle.

A woman, one of five occupants in the turning car, was thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene.

The collision happened at 8.40pm and the intersection remains closed to all other traffic.

Major Collision Investigation Unit investigators are on the scene.

Two other people involved in the collision received minor injuries.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Provisional Road toll:
    2012: 152
    2011: 172

Creina O’Grady
    Media Officer
  2. MCIU are automatically responded to any crash involving multiple fatalities (more than 2).

There are other triggers which I can't remember right now
  3. if there is a chance of criminal conviction I believe is another one. And, if there is a police car involved, they're also automatically called out.
  4. TAC don't have sufficient understanding of why bikes crash, so they lever everything back to speed. This is their focus. The only data TAC has is from the copper on the scene's crash report - particularly for injury accidents. At least MCIU have some element of science to their investigations, which may or may not make a difference (witness the reconstruction advert as proof of that), however without any real genuine data, TAC a free to run their campaigns.

It's a good thing there's the MUARC case controlled crash study going on... which interestingly coincides with a big dip in bike crashes.

I guess I was raising the issue here why MCIU were dragged out to a car turning right across the path of another car, but rarely ever do when a car turns right across the path of a bike. :-k
  5. yes, it's a bit surprising. I can only assume it's because they thought there might be some kind of criminal negligence they could go for. Obviously that's not required if it was a bike, cause they all know it'd be the bikes fault anyway.
  6. I found this in a MUARC report from 2010:

The MCIU criteria for attending a crash are: if three or more people are killed; if someone is killed or suffers life-threatening injury and the person who caused the crash is in some way culpable, and that culpability can be by way of excessive speed, or drug, or alcohol, or reckless behaviour.

Apparently they are called out to 300 crashes per year and investigate half of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If those are the criteria, then MCIU aren't going to be attending all that many bike crashes. And if those are their criteria, maybe they aren't the right, impartial kind of investigators who should be gathering and controlling the macro data anyway.

It appears to lead strongly toward what is prosecutable rather than what happened IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The intersection involved in the report in the OP is traffic light controlled, is only a few years old (having been a roundabout with a rail crossing in the middle but is now a rail overpass with the road going under the rail line) and limited visibility of anything more than 100m away approaching due to the intersection being below ground level.

One of the occupants was thrown clear of the vehicle according to media reports the next day so perhaps that.

There's been a few collisions at that intersection since it was completed which is interesting considering it has traffic lights??
  9. I thought thats how police crash investigations worked?

Reminds me of a time when my sisters honor roll law student friend struck an elderly woman who walked between two cars with out looking and broke her leg.
    Elderly woman said it was her fault at the time and says she wont take action.
    Cops decide, nah this ****ing p plater is going down, **** her future career being a QC, lets make an example out of her now. She is then dragged through a bunch of courts given a wad of criminal driving charges and now probably wont be able to be anything more then a Dennis deneuto at best.
  10. Don't knock Dennis mate, he went to the High Court ;)
  11. A road engineering treatment that has increased traffic danger?? Sensational. :roll:
  12. Don't get me wrong the old set up was worse with a rough rail crossing mid roundabout that if hit just the right (or wrong) way could have you changing lanes as you bounced over the tracks.

Prior to the roundabout it was a pair of T intersections and with the increasing traffic flows on Taylor Rd was really bad.

It's safer to drive through now so long as the traffic lights are obeyed which is likely the cause of Thursday nights collision that occured about 10 minutes after I went through there.
  13. Proximity to a McDonalds or Krispy Kreme perhaps?
  14. More than 2 fatalities

Involvement of a police officer (on or off duty)

Involvement of a police vehicle (on or off duty)

Involvement of a police chase

Probability that criminal negligence is involved.

However they are informed of every fatality, and are available to assist at any major crash anywhere in the state, if requested, workload permitting.
  15. Or a hit & run. They always attend a hit & run.
  16. Coroners Court transcript from RSC Inquiry of 17/10/2011.

Page 53:

Judge COATE — Our investigations are conducted generally in the first instance by members of Victoria Police. It may be the major collision investigation unit if it is a multiple fatality, if it is a fatality that involves one of the emergency services or indeed if it is a fatality that involves police, as in a police pursuit. But primarily they are our investigators: Victoria Police and the major collision unit.

The CHAIR — Good. Thank you.

Page 53:

Mr TILLEY — Can I go on with an unrelated one, just to follow up in relation to the quality of inquest briefs submitted particularly by Victoria Police. You did make mention that the major collision unit investigates multiple fatalities in the state of Victoria, but those incidents where significant motorcycle fatalities occur will probably be single cycle and the investigation more than likely would be undertaken by the officer on the spot who does not necessarily have the breadth of experience that those who are part of the major collision unit would have. Are you able to give some comment in relation to the quality of the evidence that is provided by Victoria Police in enabling the court to be able to significantly investigate from that brief?

Judge COATE — The short answer is it is variable, the quality of the initial content of the investigation. We are doing some work on that with Victoria Police at the moment and trying to standardise the way in which that report material comes to us depending on the nature of the investigation — there is quite a lot of work going on — but we, as the investigating coroner, also have the capacity of course to ask further questions, request further information, seek directed statements from individuals, and we will often do that. That is where the important work of the prevention unit comes in. If they say to us what is really important to understand about the particular circumstances of this death, the sorts of information that trained epidemiologists and people working in the health field can tell us and say, ‘We have got no information about A, B and C and driver fatigue, driver clothing, driver attitudes. Can we please, through you, go back and get our investigating member to get that information for us?’, we can do that. It is resource intensive and leads to complaints about delay, but the quality is important for us, so we will take that on and can do that. Our capacity to do that has been enhanced recently by the new act.

The CHAIR — Thank you.

Mr PERERA — You have highlighted that one of the major impediments to responding to all motorcycling injuries has been the lack of a lead agency to coordinate efforts. Given the large amount of data collected by your office and also other agencies, how do you coordinate the data you have collected? Is there an issue?

Judge COATE — David?
    Mr HOGAN — The question is in regards to the quality of the data available?
    Judge COATE — And the sharing — —
    The CHAIR — Do you share data with other organisations?