Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What tool do I need for this?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by JP, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Sorry if this seems like a basic question, I'm still in the process of buying the tools I need for my bike. Okies, so I bought my VTR250 a Christmas present, a new handle bar which is a bit wider and lower.
    So my problem now is, removing the hex bolts (sorry if that's the wrong names) that hold the bar down.
    I have a set of allen keys, I think they are also called hex wrenches.
    Looks like this:

And these are the bolts I'm trying to get off:

I can't get enough leverage with the allen key I have. There has to be a better tool out there for the job!
  2. Get longer-armed Allen keys or find the allen keys/hex wrenches that have a t-bar at the top. Much easier to locate on the hex and better leverage. Most auto shops or tool stores will have them.
  3. You have two choices, and bear in mind in either case these bolts have been done up in the factory and will be tight anyway.

1. Buy a set, or at least one the right size, of T-Handled Allen Keys. This will give you more purchase

2, use your existing Allen Key and give it a bit more leverage with a short piece of pipe on the end.
  4. Thanks guys, off to Bunnings!
  5. I just use the socket wrench extension bar on the end of an allen key to get more leverage... agricultural but it works.
  6. [​IMG]
    This should do it :wink:
  7. Do you know the correct torque for refitting?
  8. I doubt it 2wheels... Most likely doesn't have a torque wrench. I'm going to recommend loctite with a torque setting of 'FT' (f@#kin tight), find out what will snap the bolts/strip the treads, and back it off a bit lol
  9. yep to all of the above, or if you have a ring spanner slide that over it and you again increase your leverage. :wink:
  10. As the only link to any control I'd be finding out what setting it should be.
    It will be in a workshop manual. We're talking about high tensile studs going into aluminium.
    I know what it is for the Bandit :wink:
  11. Just get clipons Chriss what you on a dirt bike :LOL: ...

You should Torque and locktite them and make sure there is an even gap on both side of the clamp ...and I use 1/2 in drive hex set and a braker bar to remove .
  12. Yep, I know that they have to be tightened up to a specific torque setting. Thanks for the replies :wink:
  13. Torque wrenches are for homos.

Just tighten the bastard up, sheesh.
  14. we have a winner.

And another.

Just don't over tighten them
  15. So get your self a 1/2 in drive hex set ,Its a bit hard to get you L key in a torgue wrench..
  16. If you use a torque wrench for that, JP, an angel loses it wings. Just tighten the prick!
  17. Once upon a time, not so very long ago, hardly anybody owned a torque wrench. Oddly enough, bikes didn't seem to fall to bits any more frequently or suffer any more stripped threads.

Once you,ve got the bolts out, when you put the bars back on, just tighten the clamps down evenly (as noted by a previous poster) with your L-key, without any additional leverage. That way, unless you're King-Kong's grandson, you are highly unlikely to get the bolts tight enough to strip anything. Give the bars a heave or two (really lean on them) to make sure they're not going to twist forwards under heavy braking, tighten further if necessary and you're good to go.

It's all I've ever done and I've yet to have a set of handlebars fall off. One of the few failures I haven't experienced at one time or another :grin: .
  18. Buy yourself some allen key sockets. Much better than stuffing around with little hex keys. Those and some long handled allen keys and you'll be set.

Also, torque wrench FTW. Nothing worse than stripping a thread :( especially on a critical part. Like, oh I dunno, a caliper mounting bolt...
  19. You also didnt have soft aluminum casts to work with in the old days..And plenty got stripped..
    Torque setting ....Thousands of dollars many man hours and highly qualified engineers work on Torque setting for 99% of the bolts on a bike If you didnt need them Im sure the company's wouldnt waste so much money researching and just throw the thing together in some sweat shop
    If you dont use Torque settings then imho you dont respect your bike or the engineers that made it posible for you to have it..Its not that hard or expensive to do it right .. :wink:
  20. i once thought like you mate.

3 snapped bolts on 3 different bikes later. a touqe wrench is on my xmas list to santa