Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What to use to fix leaking tank?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by mattb, Nov 11, 2006.

1. My tank started leaking tonight. It is ever so slow - a small drop every 10 seconds. It had some sort of putty placed over it, which was accidently scraped off when I moved the tank. I have no idea what to use, but I'd like a similar substance I can pick up cheap tomorrow from a Hardware. Can anybody recommend what to use? Can I apply it straight over the tank as it is, sitting in place and with the leak constantly happening?

2. Super Cheap and Repco have petrol tank repair stuff.

Selleys have a product called "knead it". It is a putty that comes in various forms for different applications and may be suitable for petrol tanks. It sets in about 5 minutes and can be found in the adhesives isle at Bunnings.
  3. Loctite make a fuel tank and radiator repair putty. Any good spares shop will carry it. Can be used on a hole that is leaking fuel, but on a bike, you have teh luxury of taking the tank off to work on it. Then you can look at your options re sealing teatments for teh tank.
    I'd fix your tank properly, given teh bike's age, another tank will be a lottery.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. I've use the locktitte product. It's very good. You might find that, as I did that there is not actually a single hole or weakness, but a whole field of them, hidden by the paint. Sand off all the finish with wet&Dry paper. Poke out all of the holes, or weak spots, and probe around the area to find pitting. make them real holes to make sure that you don't miss any damaged areas. clean it up again, then apply the putty. the holes will help provide a good "key" not that it is really needes. Make sure there are 3 mm or so thickness over the damaged area, smooth, and work quickly. You've got maybe 5 minutes until it goes too hard to work, then sand back to smooth with wet&dry It's hard stuff to sand, so try to get your hand worked coat as near to smooth and true to te finished shape as you can. Wait the recomended curing time, then prime and paint. This product works real well. Don't forget to rinse your tank out well to remove any rust chips or putty fragments which enter. It's not a bad idea to put an in-line fuel filter in at this point to catch anything you can't get out. One good thing about ethanol in petrol has, is that ethanol will mix with any water in your tank and effectively dry out any that pools in the bottom parts that are below your petrol outlet.
  5. Quicksteel. It's an epoxy based 2 part putty. No need to empty the tank, just take it off and tip it so the hole's at the top. Put some Quicksteel over the top of the hole and let it dry. Job's done in no time and paint over if desired. Best stuff in the world, get it from Repco, Supercheap etc.. :)

You could also just put a fibreglass patch on. It'll work as well as anything (and probably give the best finish) if you keep glass and resin in the shed. :)