Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what to see in mirrors

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by enzise, Sep 28, 2006.

1. hey. just got a bike bout 2 weeks ago. so far am enjoying it alot.
    just curious to know though how does everyone have there mirrors set. i seem to spend a lot of time fiddling and reajusting them. is there a set way to have them. if not what is you preferences. i havnt found anything i like yet.

hoping to become one of the regulars on the forum. sorry bout my gramar and all that im lazy. look forward to getting to know u all.

2. Welcome to it all - it depends on where your mirrors are i.e. on the fairing, bar, end of bar etc. It can depend on your size i.e. a bigger person on a small bike - some mirrors are hard to adjust past your arms which can block your view.

It's personal preference really - if you are constantly fiddling with them, they're either moving due to vibration, wind whilst riding or they're being bumped/palyed with. No set way to have them, up to you. I like mine to be slightly wide so they form part of my view as I do a headcheck to pass or change lanes. Whatever and wherever you set them, they need to be doing the best job they can for you.

3. Yeah what ever makes you comfortable and allows you to see what you want to, obviously you won't be able to see everything.

Personally I position my mirrors so I can see just the edges of my elbows and a bit of my own bike. Still each to his own.

4. Its funny that you dont think about this until you start riding. Makes it a little hard to see when the fuzz are behind you.

Wasnt till I got on a sports particularly that I noticed some silly bastard keeps puting his elbows in the way so I cant see behind me.

When I stepped of the gpx and onto my zx6 I sat bolt upright to adjust my mirrors.
    Once I started moving I thought hang on something is not right here. Then I realised that I was way more forward and needed to adjust them while seated as if I was going to ride.

Also theyre like a tear drop shape and pointed to the outside.
    I had them set up so the outside was slightly higher than the inside (pointed up and out kinda) when I got the bike back from a service they had move the mirrors lower and kind of pointed downwards on the outside (make sense?) .

Anyway I've left them like that because I get a much better view this way. It was a simple change but made a big difference to my field of vision

5. Its funny that you dont think about this until you start riding. Makes it a little hard to see when the fuzz are behind you.

Wasnt till I got on a sports particularly that I noticed some silly bastard keeps puting his elbows in the way so I cant see behind me.

When I stepped of the gpx and onto my zx6 I sat bolt upright to adjust my mirrors.
    Once I started moving I thought hang on something is not right here. Then I realised that I was way more forward and needed to adjust them while seated as if I was going to ride.

Also theyre like a tear drop shape and pointed to the outside.
    I had them set up so the outside was slightly higher than the inside (pointed up and out kinda) when I got the bike back from a service they had move the mirrors lower and kind of pointed downwards on the outside (make sense?) .

Anyway I've left them like that because I get a much better view this way. It was a simple change but made a big difference to my field of vision

6. Just remember that you are likely to set up your mirrors while you are sitting upright on the bike. Once you get up to speed you generally slouch and lower your head a bit, changing the field of view.

Just keep fiddling with it until you find the sweet spot...until of course someone knocks them while they are parking their bike next to yours.

7. On the 250 I didn't really have a problem with mirrors... I just set them and I could see everything behind me. On the 9R, I set them to show about 1/3 (of the mirror) as my elbow... this gets them pointing in the right spot. Then I just have to lift the arm a little to see everything properly. ;)

8. If i can see my elbows then my mirrors are doing a good job! If i can see a blur of vibration induced sky and trees then some bugger has clipped my mirror again.
    Anyone who's seen my mirrors would know that they're more of an ADR requirement than a functional part of the bike.

9. no mirrors here

10. I have the left mirror adjusted so that I can see as far 'straight' behind me as I can. I have the right mirror adjusted so I can see the blind spot just over my right shoulder......

11. where you sit on the bike while riding is important when adjusting... i like a tiny bit of elbow just so i have a better perspective of whats in my mirrors and so if i move i can see what's directly behind me, just so i know if i can't brake to hard!!! :p

12. That's interesting Paul. as I do it the other way. I have my left mirror set so I can see the left lane, for overtaking purposes, and to see anybody sneekign up in the left lane. The right mirror generally behind, and a little to the right. This means I must headcheck before moving right or overtaking.
    IMHO it is inefficent to see the same thing in both mirrors behind.

13. Im the same hornet600. for some reason i really want to have a good view of whats behind me and decided that id sacrifice the left hand side to show behind. Once you been riding for a while you begin to be aware of everything thats around you and headchecking even when not intending to change lanes/overtake just occurs naturally ie none of us really rely on our mirrors too much.

Great to see yet another across rider in sydney!! Come along for the group rides youll never regret it.

14. I have two mirrors (both of which i hate immencely) but am used to them and they keep me more aware of my surroundings.

One is set for a leaned forward view(left) the other (right) is set for a more upright view. Both show my elbows and straight back.

When i want to check these mirrors i have to slightly move my elbows and sometimes lean my body forwards/backwards depending on which side i want to see ... its a system that works for me.

Don't forget your headchecks, they're the most important - i've gone Kms without mirrors - they're not as essential as headchecks.

15. what to look for...

pffft, you should set them up so you can see your awesome self, of course :shock: :grin: :) :wink:

[img:461:432:ee29e9a4d1]http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/threads/000/147/541/2202839-newriderpackage.jpg[/img:ee29e9a4d1]

16. I use to stuff around with mirrors. Try adjusting them when you are parked on a hill (or in the dark). I use to compenstate with moving my body around (which I shouldn't do) until I reached the next traffic light. Then I adjust them. I have not been gamed to adjust my mirrors whilst the bike is moving. I don't think I ever will be. I can only open my visor up or down at low speeds. Once I knocked the mirror when my left hand when from the visor back to the handle bar. (I thought how stupid, next time I'll know).

However, I will say that I am touching my mirrors less. Hopefully I am adjusting them more correctly now. I should following HART's advice about using two hands to adjusting mirrors. (One to hold the mirror holder). Sometijmes just use only one hand.

17. I adjust mine with mine bike stationary in a upright position but rarely need to re-adjust unless they get knocked! If yours are moving around then check that are tightened up enough!

I use mine for scanning so view is relatively wide, for lane changing I only trust my own eyes so head check is a MUST! I do scan my mirrors on turning head back just in case something behind changed in that split second!

18. I have my elbows in both, LH mirror pretty much straight back (this mirror is fairly useless to me...seems to cop a lot more vibration) and the right to get my blindspot on the right as that's the side I'm most likely to move into (and my crappy Shark helmet has cut a lot of my periferal vision compared to the Shoei, so I have found that setting most useful).