Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What to look for in a record player?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by thecptn v1.1, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I know this thread may sound out of place in todays day and age, but I have been really thinking of going back to old school vinyl records, after hearing the differance between digital and analog, well simply I think vinyl sounds so much richer and deeper, thought id take the plunge, though im not exactly sure where to go, been doing some research, some recomend getting a high priced unit, and avoiding non belt drive units, hmm, dont get too nerdy though I dont want to go that far, I was thinking of grabing a second hand unit of fleabay though I heard some need to be serviced, any particular pointers from any audiophile heads out here?.

2. make sure it has the ability to interface with a computer, or at least has the ability to rip vinyl content to .mp3 or another digital format; a good percentage of my digital music collection has been created by this method, as I'm too tight to buy what I already own, and some of my records are not available at any price on-line.
  3. The critical part is the cartridge & needle - make sure they are of high quality - and importantly, make sure you can get replacement parts.
  4. What's your budget?

The company I work for imports turntables & cartridges, If you want to give me a call tomorrow I can help you out. (I'm typing this on the netbook, not really condusive to a long post!)
  5. "Audiophiles" are idiot pretend experts.
    Here's some light reading.

Simply buy yourself better speakers, maybe pad a room or listen when the traffic outside is at a minimum, and enjoy the world of excellent sound reproduction and convenience that digital music offers.
  6. Get a decent one that you can get the bits for. Direct drive was supposedly the go, but so long as the quality is good you'll be happy enough.

There must be some prime examples stashed away in garages across the country. Problem is having an amp with the turntable input, since the older ones didn't have line level outputs. Newer ones do, but I haven't looked for ages since I've still got mine from years back (just need to have the amp fixed and get a new needle).

Once it's up and running I'll probably digitise my collection. But I'll probably still put a record on occasionally for sentimental reasons. Those vinyl albums are strong reminders of when and where I bought them over the years.

There's also a lot of cheap vinyl around, and not all available on digital media.

If you want to delve more into it, then I'd check out some of the relevant magazines, but hopefully not wanky ones. A crap turntable is definitely not worth it.
  7. In all honesty, the best turntables will be DJ ones. Technics make some really sweet kit.
    I agree that vinyl sounds much better than digital, it's a much smoother and richer sound. But you can spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on getting a speaker system perfect, modifying everything from the needle to the cables to the speaker stack. Would you get a tube amp or solid state? Will you use a balanced output or standard output?

About vinyl to mp3, vinyl rips sound terrible. For some reason computers really don't like vinyl.

If I were setting up a decent system without going crazy, I'd probably go with a technics TT, a half decent solid state amp and some mid range yamaha monitors. But I'd need to borrow all my oldies vinyl for it not to be pointless.
  8. Ok, I'm at work with a bit of free time!

If you are concerned about sound quality I would stay away from the generic dick smith etc turntable & definitely stay away from the ones with USB input.

If you do want to digitise your records, there are stand alone pre-amps that will do a much better job. Likewise, if your stereo doesn't have a phono pre, there are plenty of good quality ones that will do the job, again, stay away from tricky dicky.

The speed of a turntable is critical to accurate playback, most of the cheap units won't have a good enough power supply to keep a constant speed with load.

Without naming any brands, I would go for a brand that only makes turntables, there are a few out there, & a cartridge again from someone who only makes cartridges, there are plenty of very good value turntable for around $500 with an ok cartridge. A cheap cart is a throwaway item, a good cart with a replaceable stylus will last 4-5 stylus changes no worries.

Start out with a Moving Magnet cartridge, these are cheaper & usually have replaceable styli. (Makes sure you get one with a replaceable stylus)

If you do go ahead, spend some time learning how to set it up correctly. Tracking angle, tracking weight, Vertical tracking angle, speed adjustment, etc etc etc. A lot of the cheaper turntable won't have any of these adjustments, another reason the spend a bit more initially.

Direct drives like the Technics in general are a bit easier, but can be noisier as the motor is usually part of platter, not isolated like in a belt drive turntable.

Belts & carts (or styli at least) will need to be replaced every few years, as the rubber in both will degrade over time.

Anything specific you needed to know?
  9. What does this even mean? In terms of objective defined terms.
  10. It means if you LIKE the sound of analogue systems, then listen to them. Simple. There's nothing more to it than that.
  11. zactly. though i guess im saying a violin sounds more like a voilin. edm sounds much better as vinyl than digital.
  12. But this is more than about liking a spinning piece of plastic, the overall claim is that the sound quality is superior.

If theres a difference, it can be measured.

Just as long as we are on the same page.
  13. More pleasant is superior, not necessarily more accurate or 'correct'.
  14. Wow, some good advice here haha, my budget yeah, im willing to spend a few hundred on a decent record player, im looking for some thing that is entry level but with some decent quality behind it, ease of use is another thing im looking for, doesnt have to be tottally noob friendly, but I dont want to feel like im operating a diesel locomotive each time I want to listen to records, converting them to digital is a non issue, I just want to listen to Pink Floyd the way it was meant to sound :d

Come to think of it, I could use a decent sound system, mine is well..shite, all for all, I want to spend about $1000 to $1300 all up, even more if I have to, for a decent record player and a decent sound system.
  15. Yeah, we just the 30th anniversary edition of Dark Side of the Moon on Vinyl... :)

If that's the case, an automatic turntable wouldn't be a bad idea, I know a few good one's, one of the brands we import is Thorens, they do a very nice entry level auto for around $500, the TD158.

Of course we sell those, so that's the one I would recommend , but there's also some good one from Rega & Pro-Jekt at that price point.

If you can spend more, then you'll be pretty happy with the results!

Second hand is a good way to go, but factor in getting it serviced/setup & probably a new cart.
  16. Nice to see another Floyd fan! I did some looking up on that model, must say I am quite interested in getting that, though id like a good sound setup to go along with it.
  17. .. which, of course, opens up the whole argument about what would Floyd have done if they had had today's technology available back then ...:LOL:

{Nothing to see here, move along please}
  18. I don't think they would have done as well.