Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What to do when this happens...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Blaise, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was riding home last night (~8.00pm) and was coming down Hunter St Sydney CBD (to get back to The Rocks) when somebody on my side of the road hailed a cab. There was a cab going in the opposite direction who was obviously hungry for a fare. He simply slammed on the brakes and did a U-Turn right in front of my bike! I was on a downhill section of Hunter St and performed an E-Stop (to the best of my ability) with the bike squirreling and swaying underneath me with the rear locked. I do remember thinking, "this is it; we're going down Blaise" but all those years of motorcross/supercross must have amounted to something... I steered between the cab and a parked car and came to a halt - upright. I also recollect a few pedestrians commenting regarding both the cab and the fact I remained right-side-up.

By the time I gathered my thoughts and composure, the gent who hailed the cab was in the back and the cab was gone. Took about 10 minutes for the pulse rate to return to normal levels and I was simply angry that a cab would perform such a stunt a) right in front of me; b) across double yellow lines; & c) in such a busy area of the city.

Now I know I titled this "" what do I do if this happens" but I wonder if there is anything that could have been done differently. It seemed that no sooner had the person raised their hand for the cab and he was doing the "Starsky & Hutch" to get to him leaving no time to react on my part. Luckily I wasn't going at much of a pace (pedestrians cause enough grief around Wynard anyway). Still, having the bike nearly sideways going downhill towards a semi-parked cab isn't my idea of fun!
  2. Well done keeping upright, shame you or a witness couldn't get a taxi/rego number

Buy a lotto ticket.
  3. I would guess that you don't ride in the city much, if that's the first time it has happened to you.

Just feel lucky that you were able to keep it upright, through what would seem to be no fault of your own.

In the city especially, you should be scouting the eyes around for things that may happen without you knowing....
  4. sorry I missed everything you said, I was too busy watching your avatar....
  5. I guess you're right grange... next time I see an arm flinch on the footpath, I'll be covering my brakes. I doubt he couldn't see me, my headlight would have been right in his face as I was coming down the hill. Maybe he was startled by the thought of dollars going in his pocket.
  6. i live right near Sydney CBD mate and go in every day.

yes this sh1t happens.

i think its important you do something about it so the offender learns their lesson and hopefully wont do it again.

either yelling, honking, or knocking off a mirror will all do the job.

i know how you feel though after something like this happens - your hearts racing and last thing you think about is telling the cabbie off.
  7. Blaise , I delivered in the city for 2 1/2 years with my truck, and I know hunter st well, if you think they didn't see you on a bike, I can tell you from experience that they don't see trucks either.

You just have to be more aware of the unexpected in the cbd, than you do in outer suburbs.
  8. You did good, maybe get a rego number next time.
  9. Yep you could have kicked the taxi door on the way past. Practice. Practice. Practice.
  10. Or you could've leapt off the bike ninja style, flicking the side stand down as you went. Screamed "HAY-YAHHH" and smashed through the windows of the taxi feet first and unleashed your fists of fury on the driver as your bike landed awesomely on it's stand and screeched to a halt right next to the blonde with the humongous assets that instantly ripped out her hair tie and exclaimed 'Wow'. Then you could've casually strolled over to said blonde and said "Baby... All in a days work."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.