Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What to do when a rider goes down

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ljiljan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Seeing the off today made me think of this, because it seemed other than checking that the rider was ok everyone sort of sat around with their thumb up their ass. Note that every off is different, sometimes its on a small group ride, large group ride, individual or pair. You just gotta make do with what you got.

So there's been an off. It might involve one rider it might involve a few.

Once vitals have been checked and rider removed from the road into recovery position:

1. Have someone who is standing around go and mark the corner preceding the lane involved, getting people to slow down. No good having a couple people and their bikes sitting on the side of the road get cleaned up by the next few to come through.

2. Try and get passing cars to stop. Ask if you can steal water off them. Water is as close to the magic healing liquid as you will get, particularly in the middle of nowhere.

3. Get the downed bikes upright so that nothing more will leak onto the road or into different parts of the bikes internals. Keep the road clean for those following, and if the bike can run again you want it running as smooth as possible for however long it needs to be running.

4. Thanks to Hornet for this one. Have someone scout the road ahead and behind for a better place to park bikes and wait out the next hour or two. Murpy's law states that you are certainly not going to have it at the location of the crash. Sometimes this just can't be done, life goes on.

Other ones involving the rider's well-being are particularly obvious, concussion, the crew with the disco lights and noises etc.

Ride safe.
  2. Do not remove the riders helmet, especially if unconscious or if they could possibly have a neck/back injury
  3. If there was something on the road that caused the accident, take a photo of it.
    If the rider was doing all the right things, take a photo of where it happened. The direction they were traveling in.
    Basically cover his ass. Even if there was no one else involved.
    If there was another party involved. Get all the information you can from the other person for the rider. Car, bike, rego, name, number and insurance company.
    Best thing is to keep calm and kewl. No agro.
    Even if you think the rider is ok. Keep him talking till the ambo's arrive. Don't let them up. They can sit up if need be but don't let them walk around.
    There is a good chance they will throw up if they have had a knock to the head. So yeah be careful. It's hard to keep the noggin up when you slam the ground.
  4. thanks guys.

The main point of this thread was trying to highlight that there are many things that can still be done while the rider is being cared for.
  5. Isn't it the opposite? If they are conscious you leave the helmet on, if they're unconscious take helmet off carefully and check their airwaves?
  6. Fair enough, out of curiosity was it a learner/learner friendly ride?

I went for a ride today and decided to play with the fast group. Very polite, no nonsense, safe, not scary at all. People knew exactly where they stood and didn't really try and prove anything. I think I'll be doing the same in future, even if it means I'm sitting at the back. Can't say the same about the middle group though I did hear a rumour of some rubbish going on.

However, my point stands. If you don't go on group rides, then you can't really relate too well to a thread about group rides, can you?
  7. just so you dont get confused-this is what you said----
    sometimes its on a small group ride, large group ride, individual or pair. You just gotta make do with what you got.
  8. ok that actually makes it much easier.

I'll break it down for you.

If you are riding by yourself and come off, then there is no one to help you. Help yourself or rot in the hole you fell in.

If you are riding with another, that person is all you got and they are going to be taking care of you. S/He'll be acting according to their means. Traffic management can wait, the downed rider is more important.

If you are in a group ride, some will be looking after you, others will be standing around looking at each other. That's when they can do something.
  9. Don't know what rumour you're referring to Lilly, I saw nothing that would have caused a stir. I was in the middle group and the only thing I can think of was a bloody white Camry that held us up for ages heading towards Broke. The bugger slowed to a crawl at every corner and then accelerated like a banshee on the straights. Either he didn't check his mirrors and was oblivious to the group of riders behind or he simply had a weiner sizing issue. Nobody appeared to be trying to prove a point or do anything stupid as far I could see.

Back to the downed Gixxer rider... I felt like a "fart in a space suit" hanging around (hence why I left when I did for Grey Gums). My only contribution was to kick some stones off the road and pick up a piece of his screen adding it to the pile of broken bits which had already been gathered. Once I had been assured the rider was okay and others were tending to his needs, I should have left rather than hanging around for 20 minutes.
  10. oh, one of the guys in the fast group got caught up in the middle group leaving wollombi and said he had a few issues getting through.
  11. i wouldnt give water if you think the rider is pretty injured.

i was given water when i crashed and busted my arm and i couldnt go under a full anesthetic for many hours because of that.
  12. Fair point, but water has other uses too, in yesterday's case, just splashing it on the rider's face was appreciated :)
    I don't think Lilley was intending this thread to be a medical one, just some general observations....

Talking through a tap on my Galaxy S!
  13. NO. Don't remove their helmet. Ever. [Edit: well... if they aren't breathing, ie. the chest isn't rising, I suppose you don't have a choice, as you can't do mouth-mouth with a helmet in the way.]

If they have a low speed lowside, and don't collide with anything, don't get hurt and can easily get up and walk (and you saw that it was a very minor slide), then they can take their own helmet off.

If they can't move enough to remove their helmet, you definitely shouldn't. The ambulance crew know how to do it properly, and it requires at least two people.

Also, some riders are pumped full of adrenaline after an off and happily get up and wander around, at which point they may feel claustrophobic and take their helmet off. Better to stop them and wait for the ambulance. Be insistent on that - how guilty would you feel if they died of internal bleeding because they "felt fine" and "didn't need an ambulance"? :(

Edit: See here
  14. Depending on the condition of the rider I wouldn't be inclinded to move them off the road. In the crashes I have been at as soon as there is mention of back / neck pain or lack of conscienceness or mental alterness the rider is left where they landed.

One of the groups I ride will have 1 personal in either lane slowing traffic down. Generally speaking you will want them to have line of sight to each other. It gets hard when you do this on a road that can barely fit 2 lanes of traffic and having one blocked.
    Water and food shouldn't be given unless the rider is fine and just a little shaken up.

Just to add to this, if possible find out if the rider is insured if a tow truck is needed.
    It pays to have an experienced rider take it for a very short ride to make sure things like the throttle doesn't stick, brakes work and the bike can turn etc.

When the helmet is removed that is now YOUR head, you are responsible for all stopping movement of it. So get comfortable you're not going to be moving for a while.

One other thing I will add, if calling an ambo and the rider has mentioned even slightly of back or neck pain / discomfort be sure as hell you mention it to them. Even though the paramedics will ask many times on sight about this, mentioning it on the call will bump the call out up to catagory 1, high dramatically increases priority. As told to me by a QLD paramedic at my first crash.
  15. geeth, theres a rider going down on you, just lay back, STFU and enjoy it
  16. hahahha nice one.
  17. thanks geeth, great input
  18. Tell you what would help and we have no control over, friggin phone reception, i had no reception till i hit windsor, i knew something was wrong when i got to twin gums and was waiting for 10 minutes, was about to suit up again and track back till a few bikes started rocking up, i heard a few people where cornering pretty bad but they are also beginners, need to learn somehow
  19. Lilley, I did a writeup on this maybe 6 mths ago. If you feel like digging it up and handing it around at the rider briefings, it will save alot of angst at accident scene, mate.
  20. There was an awesome resource that was linked in a thread a long time ago that i found useful...

Clicky: Accident Scene Management