Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What to do, what to do...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jimmym, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Maybe I am asking too much? Anyway...

I have my fulls now and have been tormented by the plethora of bikes avaliable. Hence, my commings to you all for assistance...

I should start with my mindset as to what I want from my new bike, which begins with a tale from my past haha. As well as loving bikes I have had a long relationship with fast, modified cars. They were my life. Until I bought my first roadbike that is. I treated it the same way as my cars, warm and lovingly, careful to keep it clean and without a scratch. After a short stint of only having a bike, i needed a car (only cause the girl I was seeing lived a while away and had no license... but she was alright looking). So instead of going and getting the latest and greatest I purchased my brothers dilapidated VS commodore off him for an enormous $1,000.

Given the price of my new beast i had adopted a new approach towards cars, which I only describe as: caring. Or lack thereof. And I love it. Not caring when it gets a scratch or dent, not caring if i hurt my suspension by taking speed bumps fast enough to get air, not caring about the tremendous splutter on acceleration. I can honestly say that its the most fun I have had in a car. Its terrible at doing ANYTHING, but you can drive it on and over its limits.

(Note: I don't intend on treating my bike as badly as this but I guess it shows that I don't want the fastest, lightest, best looking bike in the world, just the one that makes me smile and laugh)

Yes I realise I have become sidetracked. ANYWAY, the above sums up what I want out of my bike. Basically I have a few requirements that go with it:

- I have given myself a budget of $5,000 - $5,500
    - It must accelerate well
    - HAS TO be pretty easy to wheelie :dance:
    - The less it weighs, the better
    - Would like it to be 'a trooper'

I realise a lot of you will be going "Motard!, Get a Motard!". I agree this is what I should focus on, but i would also really appreciate 'outside the box' thinking (plus a motard with decent power is on the high side of my budget).

Disclaimer: Sorry if the above sounds like nonsensical ramblings.

So, without holding you up any longer, suggest away....................
  2. 2 stroke sports bike? Super light and fly like a bat out'a hell once you hit the power band :demon: Even my old farm bike wheelies pretty easy (Sometimes to easy:eek:)

Just make sure you grab something that you can still get parts for...
  3. Late 80s/early 90s sport bike. Oil cooled GSXR, early FZR, GPZ900R/1000RX etc. They all offer stonking performance for very few dollars (grotty 900Rs can be had for <$2k). They'll be worn out of course, but are perfect mounts if you want to thrash their potatoes off, before slinging them, uninsured, into the sand trap at a track day. Then you go and spend another 2-3k on another one, preferably the same so the first can be cannibalised for spares.

Remember, as an LC racing mate f mine says, "not caring about the bike is worth 5 seconds a lap".
  4. Forgive my lack of 2 stroke knowledge, but are you just referring to the RGV250 and RS125/250?

I kow they made an RG500 but from memory they'll set me back a fair bit?
  5. Rg/rgv, rs, nsr, the later rd and gt models, probably a few others I don't know about. Though on another look most are more expansive than I thought :( RGV 250's are going for 2.5 ~ 6 grand on bike sales and seam to be the cheapest.

Most of my knowledge of 2 strokes is with the last two, my uncle has a '79 RD250 and I picked up a pair of GT250x7's last weekend ('78 and '79 - can still get most parts for them from suzuki :D)
  6. I would buy a streetfightered R1 or something. Fast, cheap that you wont care if you crash. Maybe not an R1 on your budget, though you might be able to get a crashed sportsbike and rip the fairings off yourself.

A two stroke would be a pain if you are looking for a bike that just goes and that you dont have to worry about.
  7. If anyone was wondering (which im sure you weren't) i bought a 2009 DR650se and im quite content with it!!