Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What the ----

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Nov 30, 2006.

1. :( poor puppy.
  2. Just another reason cops shouldn't have guns. My faith in police marksmanship has been shaken once again. If it was a vicious dog then put it down, but do it properly :roll:
  3. And the police wonder why the public has a growing disrespect for them..........this is what happens when you let people into teh force without proper screening, and people who want a "career" rather than want the job.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. With a bit of luck, someone will have the sence to tie the two cops to a tree and shoot them in the neck. FFS, why would that be a reasonable thing to do to a dog? :evil: :(
  5. Through abuse, neglect, poor training, or just unrestrained loyalty to an unsuitable owner - some dogs are dangerous and must be destroyed.

If the animal bit an officer, it was likely doing it in defence of it's owner who it perceived was under attack.
    If the dog was still unrestrained, it is in a position to do it again.
    The owners say they were 'coerced' or tricked/lied to by police before the dog was shot.

... indicating to me that they didn't willingly co-operate to restrain the dog and give the offender up to police.

Obviously we aren't being given the full story in the article.
    However, I'll wager the owners have only themselves to blame for the death of their pet, and although the police did a crap job of despatching the animal - they aren't trained specifically for that sort of thing, but obviously felt they had to make the call on the spot.

What do you do?
    "Please wait here Mr Criminal Man while we hide in our car scared until an animal control officer gets here so we can sedate your dog and arrest you" :roll:
  6. Three questions play on my mind a bit here. If they percieved the dog as a threat, how were they able to get it to stand still why they tied it to a tree? Also, it they believe it to be dangerous why would they no longer want to kill the dog? Lastly, how they fcuk to they miss from close range?

It's all very suss if you ask me.
  7. Exactly Sean........judge, jury and executioner.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. It's not always easy.

Criminal owns dog.
    Dog bites policeman.
    Dog gets shot.

Seems right to me.

If it didn't die? Well then, get the job done properly obviously. Can't just leave the thing wounded.
  9. Read the article again. What happened was inexcusable.

* TWO policemen have not been prosecuted for shooting a dog after tying it to a tree.
    An inquiry recommended the men be summonsed under the Animal Welfare Act.

* Ombudsman Carolyn Richards, who investigates complaints against Territory
    Government departments, said she was "appalled".

* Dog-owning Police Minister Chris Burns said he was also appalled.

* The Joint Review Committee - made up of police and staff from the Ombudsman's office -
    investigated the case and found the officers had made "misleading" statements and been
  10. Only because they screwed up and didn't kill it.
  11. If they had intended on killing that dog, there is no reasonable argument as to why it isn't dead.

They have shown and admitted the dog was no threat to them. They injured it horribly and then coldly let it run home in unimaginable pain. Why did they do that?
  12. Accidentally:
    Article says the same bullet that went through the dog's throat, cut the rope it was tethered with - letting it loose.
    Bajillion:1 odds. Freak thing.

Obviously it runs like hell when given the opportunity.

I dunno why they shot it when it was apparently already tied up - maybe it was going savage and they quickly shot it after getting it's lead sort of wrapped around a tree [without confidence that it would hold].

Maybe they were in a remote area and knew that as they were arresting the owner, there wouldn't be someone to care for this dog that is happy enough to bite people.
    They made the call, maybe it wasn't a brilliant one, but they made it and got unlucky IMO. I'm certainly not screaming animal abuse and police negligence/brutality.
  13. No place in this world for vicious people or dogs. If they thought it needed shooting (remember they were there and we were not) then they should have done it right.

Sometimes I don't agree with peoples priorities. They tried to shoot it and through a freak occurance it escaped. Crap happens beyond your control sometimes. Very bad situation but I don't really beleive they just shot it for fun.

People do horrible things to each other, children, the elderly etc and it's par for the course and slap on the wrist time. Shoot a dog and suddenly you are Adolf Hitler re-incarnated. WTF?

The only people to blame for a vicious dog are the owners. Dogs don't "go bad" unless somebody lets it.
  14. Shooting stars join the ranks

By entertainment editor Andrew Banks
    December 07, 2006 12:35pm

HERE'S a really good idea: take a washed-up TV hero, a rehab-hopping son of a reality rock icon,
    Wacko Jacko's sister and a cast member of Jackass and give them all guns. Real guns.

Just when you though reality TV couldn't get any dumber, we hear CBS is working on Armed And Famous,
    which follows celebrities as they enforce the laws alongside city police officers.

Among the cast to be sworn in as reserve officers of the Muncie police service in Indiana are ex-CHiPs
    star Erik Estrada, singer La Toya Jackson, Ozzy Osbourne's son Jack Osbourne, Jackass's Wee Man and
    Trish Stratus, a former WWE professional wrestler.

In their new roles, they will be able to flash police badges (let's hope La Toya doesn't have a wardrobe
    malfunction during an arrest) and carry guns.

Estrada starred as a police officer in the 1970s motorcycle-cops drama CHiPs, but he very rarely pulled
    his gun out of the holster to catch crooks.

"Roll call is at six o'clock," Muncie Police Chief Joe Winkle told the celebrities at the a Muncie City Hall
    auditorium. "Do not be late."

Let's hope Osbourne's got an alarm clock.

Still, the thought of C-list celebrities hooking into the slipstream of real police officers should make you

What next? Celebrity surgeons?

15. None of you were there so how can you make subjective comment on things such as the manner in which they tried to kill the dog and what occurred after the rope broke. How many of you have fired a handgun? I have to do it every year as a basic qualification of my job and it isn't as easy as you might think. If the dog is barking and jumping around it will make it extremely hard. As far as the rope breaking, that would have been a freak occurrence and then what do you expect the cops to do, go running down the street guns blazing trying to hit a now sprinting dog? Please!

I'm not making comment on what led up to this incident, but I don't think some comments on the shooting of the dog are fair.
  16. I don't think the Police becoming judge, jury and executioner is fair either.....
    I have a problem with what they did, not how they botched it up or otherwise.

Regards, Andrew.
  17. I must agree, if the dog was tied to a tree it was clearly no longer a threat, so why did they need to shoot it at all? They should have called the relevant authority (shire?) or the RSPCA, and if the dog was judged to be dangerous it should have been put down humanely........bastards.