Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What the hell are these? (Electrics question)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Marlon, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm doing some amateur electrics at the moment on my SR400, and installing some different blinkers. I'm earthing the blinker on the frame itself, but running from the positive to the battery are these little doobiwhackers...

They say:

"Royal 661
    5W 1(Ohm Symbol) J"

Now my question - these heat up a far bit when using the indicators, quite hot to touch. The engine wasn't running when I was testing this. Is this normal? They were wrapped in factory gaffer tape when I started. Oh, and what are they?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. They would be a resistor
  3. Thanks Vic!

Are they supposed to heat up when the indicators are on?
  4. Yes.
  5. Grey Gentry and Vic, thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated! :grin:
  6. a resistor reduces the amount of power that flows through a circuit by using up electrical energy. the easiest way to disperse this energy is by heat.

as above, it is normal to heat up. just was thunking you might want to know WHY its normal....
  7. Hey, thanks Joel...

I was thinking back to year 9 science and that was my chain of thought, but your help is muchas appreciated. Cafe racer project back on track now... All I'm waiting for his the muffler and gathering up the courage to start the clipons!