Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What the heck was that?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nathanshnoz, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I was riding along today at about 100km/h when a bird (about the size of a seagull) flew straight in front of me and smashed into the front of my bike! :shock: i was ok, the bike was ok, the bird...(good riddance)...was not ok. But i barely even saw it before it hit, shit it was fast! And so for about one hundredth of a second, i shat myself. :oops:

2. ahahahaha, thats gold mate.

reminds me of a bird related thing that happened to me while driving my cage one day: im driving down my street, and i see a bush turkey on the side of the road, so i slow down expecting it to cross the road, but it turns to me, and looks at me, and then looks over the road, then looks at me, then looks at the road, and at the very LAST second it runs out to cross the road! i had to basically E brake to avoid hitting the thing, which would have done some damage to my cage; big turkey, small hyundai accent (just coz i dont need to compensate for anything :LOL: )

it constantly amazes me just how stupid birds are.
  3. B I R D S T R I K E :shock:
  4. #4 rs101, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  5. unfortunatley,thats all the time it takes for the poo to come out :cry:

I narrowly avoided the same situation on the weekend but the bird was at head height. :shock:
  6. Rofl !!
    i have had encounters with dogs and chicken...on the road... but flying birds !?!?!?!? FFS !!
  7. OH NO!

that would have scratched your visor if it hit
  8. In the twisties, with pillion, bird comes through trying to play chicken (lolpun) it hit my shoulder giving it a whack... didn't stop to see what happened to said bird... :grin:
  9. i got a bat the other night. again was that quick i just saw a black flash in the light and then he / she was gone.. RIP my little fruit eating pal.
  10. I copped one right in the head once on the way back from Eden. I thought my visor would be rooted, but the blood and gunk all washed off at the next servo.
  11. Better ya bike than your face :shock:

12. Hit an emu out in the Goldfields once (was in the car fortunately) when the damn thing just exploded out of the bush level with my front bumper. Drivers side front corner of the old VS Repmobile was fairly well mangled from the 90 kph impact. Pretty much every internal and external panel right of centre and ahead of the a-pillar required attention.
  13. I hope you stopped and rendered assistance. We are all God's creatures, great and small.

... :p
  14. well i pulled over on the side of road, saw how clearly dead it was, and then did a burnout on its mangled corpse :p
  15. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ahh you guys crack me up.... I once managed to 'duck' a bird lol
  16. what do you mean, "What the heck was that?"
    you seem to have established what it was.
  17. Must be a red an white r1 thing... I better be extra careful!
  18. There's good (pretenderised!) eatin' on a roadkill emu
  19. One of MrsB's rellies hit a pheasant years ago. Being of the waste not want not turn of mind he picked up the corpse and laid it on the passenger seat of his mini pick up (ute) intending to take it home for later consumption. Which was a great plan until, 10 minutes later, the bloody thing regained consciousness and went berserk.

Apparently being trapped in a small space with a mad, panicking ball of spikes and loose feathers, whilst travelling at an unwise 70 mph on an English back road is quite exciting :shock: .
  20. [​IMG] karl2ltgc

Good find.
    Those photos are yuk! [​IMG]

[​IMG] @ PatB