Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What sort of rpm's should I carry

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Cobes71, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Hi All,

The serial pest here.

Ok how many rpm's should I be taking into my cornering.

I am a little unsure of which gear to use in corners. ](*,)

As I either feel I am revving the guts out of it, or labouring the engine.

I currently ride like the postie and what to ride like the track rider. :rofl:

I am not rushing it as I have been riding all of 7 weeks.

:biker:

I have been reading all the tips and doing twisties daily with big rides on the weekends. I have managed 9500km's already.

I am doing the same corners over and over. Trying to be smoother and ultimately quicker.

I am just a typical aussie bloke and chasing instant gratification. The riding has become an obsession.

But the cornering is becoming annoying. I just can't seem to trust the bike. :cry:

So some help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Shane

May it always be sunny. With the road long and twisty.

2. Brake early, go into the corner with some throttle. When you're just cruising and not fanging, you want to go into the corner so that by the time you accel out you're near power. Since your revvs will drop as you slow down going into the corner you need to be coming in at more revvs than what you want to come out with.

It varies for each bike, perhaps someone with the same bike can tell you, but even then its dependent on how aggressive/how you like to ride. FYI I'm going through the same thing with my new bike at the moment - the gears are much longer than the 250 obviously so I've found myself going into 25 hairpins in 1st gear, which I def shouldn't be.

Look through the corner/where you want to go at all times. Keep steady throttle mid corner, don't shut off suddenly. As you see the exit, bring on the power slowly.

3. May help to tell us what sort of bike you ride.
    A 4 pot screamer needs plenty of revs whereas a vtwin just needs to be prodded along in the appropriate gear.

4. Cbr600f, carby one I believe.

5. CBR600F

Apologies,

I am riding a CBR600F.

I just really am unsure what rpm's you are meant to run a bike at really.

After being a car driver all my adult life. And this being my first road bike.

The tacho redlines at 15000rpm which still blows my mind. For the first week I was changing gears at about 4000rpm.

It still feels funny to ride along with the bike doing 6000rpm in a gear, feels like I should be changing.

Then there is the corner, where you brake to wash of speed, down change, then wind it out and the engine is screaming or as I mentioned labouring until it just jumps.

I just am not as fluent as I would like to be.

I know. Many out there will say it takes time.

But I want it all and I want it now. :oops: I am an idiot :LOL:

Cheers
    Shane

May it always be sunny. With the road long and twisty.

6. CBR600F 2005 model

Fuel injected ?

7. Lots and lots of 'em

8. If you're trying to become smoother and increase corner speed, and you're unsure between two gears, pick the higher one. It'll be less snatchy, give you some room in the rev range to work your speed up next time through, and encourage you to maintain momentum a bit more. This will work best with doing the same corners over and over like you're doing.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

9. So it will not hurt

Thanks for the advice,

Just a couple more things.

So how many rpm can you give it without damaging the bike?

And does it effect anything if you do it over a long period?

Sometimes I feel the engine is going to explode. I just am not used to the revving the engine so much. I feel like I am over doing it.

But part of my mind realises that they are probably designed for this.

Cheers
    Shane

10. Slower in faster out, so you need to be in a gear that provides acceleration.
    Somewhere about the middle of the rev range should be about right.
    But FFS take it easy. Practice on roads you know or better still do a couple of track days or maybe even a HART session. There is nothing worse than not trusting the bike so having someone show you you can trust it would be a help.

Is it to much bike for you at this stage?

11. Booked for Stay upright course

2wheelsagain,

Have booked for Stay Upright Advanced Course at Oran Park on the 11 Feb 08.

I have just been trying to have some idea before the day, so I can get the most out of it.

Originally I thought it was to much bike. But have learnt it's a flick of the wrist on any. It seems to be pretty forgiving, or I would already have speared in.

I am not going crazy, and if its bumpy or I don't no the road its back to postie bike speed. Have been doing the same corners, smooth road, back street, when there is no traffic. Or allow cars to go ahead and have plenty of space behind them.

I also find some corners are posted 35km/h and you can go through at 70 km/h no hassle but others are like 50 km/h. I don't think they are much different it just feels wrong. Road leans away, bumps, or just can't select the right gear.

Can't wait to get on track, so I can remove alot of hazards from my mind.

Cheers
    Shane

12. Don't bother with rpm fixation in corners at all..................just look as far through the corner as you can and LISTEN to your bike. You will become "as one" with her quicker than you think if you listen rather than trying to work out numbers.

Choose the gear for accelerating out of the bend and once cracked on, stay steady on at this stage and accelerate out only when you can see your exit line. Resist throttle off and make sure your vision is where you WANT to go. Extra lean and throttle are your friends.

If you know a bend has an uphill exit, you may need a lower gear.

Remember, the road is not a track

Patience grasshopper, patience :cool:

13. shane, it really depends on what you are trying to do mate. if you want to ride FAST, i would say on the apex you'd want to be sitting at between 8 and 10 grand, this way you built up the revs enough but you are not going to run out of revs before you get the bike reasonably upright. you dont want to be shifting mid corner as it can create some interesting traction losses on the rear hoop.
    but im thinking you not worried about this just yet, so for the time being between 5 and 6 grand will be plenty. you are still making reasonable torque at this point (for a I4 600 that is) but you wont be making enough power to seriously risk spinning up the rear hoop. its all about a smooth throttle action. as you exit the corner, gradually yet increasingly apply the throttle, whilst easing into the right position in the lane to set up for the next corner.

give it time mate, you are already well above par considering the amount of time you have been riding, if you want i can sit behind you on monday (i assume you're still coming) and offer what advice i can.

better yet, if you got mates that go dirt riding, ask to go along with them for a weekend, you learn more about throttle control on the dirt in a day than you will on the road in a month.

cheers
    dom

14. There's a difference between riding fast and becoming fast though. Riding is all about doing things in a repeatable manner and improving on them. If he was already within a fraction of the full corner speed realistically possible, then yeah by all means work on having the maximum power coming out of the bend. But with corner speed which is more than likely pretty bad (only riding 2 months), the most gains are to come from having a docile motor which you can wind on smoothly at or just before the apex, and having room within the gear you're using to be increasing your corner speed by the massive amount that it probably needs to improve by. The gear that was once a tad too high, is now right in the sweet spot. Improvement!

15. hence the second part of my post :grin: i was more just trying to give food for thought devo.
    thats the beauty of a twin, no need to think about which gear unless you want to ride it eight tenths and above. :cool:

16. Now boys......Jason has only been riding total (including L's period) for 7 weeks and we shouldn't be filling his head with apexs, weight shifting yadayadyada.

Corner set up is vital in approach speed, vision and corner lines.

Jason, Pm me if you want a gentle ride mentor through McCarrs to help you out through this early stage (sorry about Wednesday :oops: )

Target fixation, steady acceleration and lines are far more important at his stage even if it means he goes through a few corners sluggishly from having too higher a gear, He will learn what gear to choose as time goes on and he can increase hs speed as experienced is gained.

Jeff

17. 9500km's + practicing twisties each day + consciously trying to improve.... I'd say he's probably quicker than a lot of the folk out there that have been commuting for 20 years. :LOL:

Point taken though, I don't really know where he's at.

18. he was telling me at coffee on wednesday he is wearing the side of his tyres quicker than the centre, he cant be doing too bad if thats the case

19. Yeah, he is going really well and on a full sports bike has got a great attitude.

On the twisties, he was a speck in my mirrors within a couple of bends (and I am not that fast), so he does need some help....................just need to ask! :cool: