Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What sort of license do I have?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Aly, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. I got my license at the end of Dec. On the actual license it says I have restrictions but doesn't say anything about it being "p's" etc.

    So do I have a...
    Probationary or
    Provisional License

    i would have thought Probationary and Provisional were the same thing...

  2. My understand is provisional = P's, probational is what you get stuck on if you get caught doing something naughty.
    As you're in Vic and NSW that's all I can offer in help.
  3. do you have a car licence as well?

    i have an unrestricted motorcycle licence, but have to display a p plate because i have a P's car licence.
  4. Thanks Orb. That's a start :)

    I forgot to add I have a full car license. So I dont need to display P's.

    It sounds like maybe the answer is still provisional though. I'm hoping the answer is Full...with restrictions.
  5. You are correct Aly. Full but with restrictions pertaining to MCs.

    Tappin' not talkin'
  6. You had a full car license prior to your bike license Aly.
    And I believe you are just over 21? ;)

    If so then you have a full license but with restrictions for 12 months, you are not required to display a P plate but you are restricted to LAMS bike, no pillion and 0.0 BAC.

    See: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...rcycleLicences/MotorcycleProbationLicence.htm
  7. Thanks Ant and Chris. :)
  8.  Top
  9.  Top

  10. No, a full license, it says:

    If you already have a full car driver licence , you will be issued with a full motorcycle licence (motorcycle licence category added to your card). However, all newly licensed riders are subject to certain restrictions and conditions for the first 12 months from the date of issue.
  11. Thanks...the title of the whole page is "Probationary" but I do think you are right.

    In that case....Aussieak....reread your swan policy. I think we only get screwed once and not sideways like we were talking about. Yay? :)
  12. hmmm shall do. But I will wait till you get your bill 1st and you then win the case.
  13. #13 kma_jg, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Not wanting to hijack here, but I was always wondering how would you proof that the R is an motorcycle license when you want to use it overseas for motorcycle hiring?

    Anybody used their VIC license for bike riding overseas?
  14. mine says HR, R P1 exp 27 Oct 2012.

    HR is Heavy Rigid. P1 is red P's which are valid for 18 months and I get my full licence because I am over 25 on the 27th April 2012.

    I'm in NSW
  15. #15 aussieak, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1