Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what *should* it sound like?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by emsie, Jul 4, 2006.

1. I know a 250cc bike is MEANT to sound a bit like its gonna take off when you go faster, but what's my VTR250 meant to be sitting at rev-wise at 60kph?

In fifth it seems to sit somewhere between 5000-5500rpm when I'm doing 60kph. Is that normal?? I come from car-world where you don't rev them out and I'm slowly getting used to keeping the revs up nice and high (if it was a car, it'd be "thrashing" ;) ) and changing at higher rpm, leaving it in a lower gear for longer, stuff like that. It just concerns me a little that at *60*, its revving that high with no choke on .. I've never been above 60 (getting my confidence in traffic up to 60kmh before attempting more than that) .. I realise its probably me still being car-oriented so I suppose I just need to hear someone say it :D

What do other VTR250's sit at when you're doing 60, 80 and 100?

2. Welcome to the buzzy world of bikes my friend! Especially 250's (those turbo hairdryer cbrs rev to 18000rpm or so). The reciprocating parts inside a 250 are small and light, which helps allow them to rev so hard.

Don't stress about 5k on the tach it'll sit on that for weeks and not miss a trick. They sit on about 7k at 100 in 5th. Notice how the tacho goes up to about 13k? you can use most of that.

on a day out in the hills, my vtr never drops below about 7k unless I'm cruising.

I wouldn't use 5th at 60 round town, if you need to zip out of trouble in a hurry it will just bog and you'll go nowhere, keep it in 4th at least. i use 3rd for 60 unless im going to be staying at that speed for few blocks at a time.

i know how coming from cars to bikes is, it feels like you're revving the hell out of the poor thing, valves bouncing,pistons smashing. but its not happening. so long as your bike has been run in and properly maintained, you can rev it pretty hard pretty often. honor thy rev limiter, by using it!
  3. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you learn to rev it, you'll have a lot of fun.

I rode a 1000cc V four before riding my 250cc across and it took me some time to change my habits as well. The big bike never got much past 7000 rpm but the across needs 7000 just to start with. Most of the time I rev it to 13,000rpm but the redline is at 16,000. Sitting on 110kmh means about 10-11,000 rpm.

Give it a go when you feel comfortable and you'll never look back. :grin:
  4. Yeah, keep the revs up so you're somewhere near the powerband - particularly in the city where you might need to twist it and go to get yourself out of trouble.

Only when you're really cruising and very comfortable that the road is clear of possible hazards would you kick it up into 4th/5th - you've just got no power.

I was playing with a VTR250 tonight, believe me, even high up in the revs you're in no way stressing that engine.
  5. cool, i've also been wondering something similar for my ninja, good to know that being in 3rd around the inner city going at 60 is standard, i wasn't too sure what I should have been in till now.
  6. Thanks guys .. Last night I had my first "quick!! do I brake or floor it??!" and thankfully I was only in third or fourth so I floored it instead of going over the handlebars ;) Was nice to have so much more power like you guys have said.
  7. Yep, your bike produces its maximum power at 10,500rpm, so you want the revs fairly high to make use of the power when you need it. :)
  8. It should sound like a "screaming tourtured soul" of a bike that about covers it... anything less and you wont need the ear plugs.
  9. OK, thinking about this as I was riding home today on MY blue '05 VTR. 3rd or 4th at 60. At least 5000rpm but 6000 probably more responsive. That's my thoughts, anyway. At least I've got an '05, with tacho. Older VTR owners can't answer: they haven't got a tacho, have they?

10. No tacho on mine. Just rev it until it runs out of go.. :LOL:
  11. What you don't know doesn't worry you, eh?
  12. my lil virago is at top revs in top gear just to hit 100. poor lil thing.
  13. I would classify the 250's as screamers although some of them are louder that your average misus. :LOL:
  14. I would have hated to own one of the early non-tachometer VTR's as a first bike.
    When I first rode I was all concerned about over revving and overstressing the engine. When I got my first CB250 I was always watching the tacho, systemetically changing up at 5500-6000rpm, never revving it higher. If I had one now I'd thrash it to hell, red line every gear.

After the Cb, over time I learnt that you can really use all the revs a modern bike engine has available without stressing it at all. VTR's are fairly moderately tuned, and it'll take 10'000rpm+ all day.

My bike redlines at 7000 rpm. I usually rev it to 6000 (equivalent to 10'000+ on your bike), and spend most of my time riding at 5000+, just cause I like the noise and the explosive acceleration of being near peak power and torque.

SA lets you get bikes over 250cc right? If you don't like the buzzy 250's, why not get something with a more car like torque and redline, a bigger bike, particularly a single cylinder of some sort (as is my bike), such as a big trailly? Or just any bigger non-sports bike. Plenty of bikes rev to sub 10'000, with reasonable car like torque and power at low revs (though the acceleration at high revs will still blow most any car away).

If I was in top at 60km/h, I would be doing about 2400rpm. Probally about what your average car is doing- it's only just above idle! I never rev this low though, I get to 70km/h in second gear usually, it's all up from there! Quite different from a 250 as you'd imagine. This is from a learner legal machine too.