Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What should I Do?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Parko82, Mar 23, 2007.

1. G'day guys. I've just got a question on what bike to buy. I'm basically completely new to motorcycle riding.
    I went into a shop wanting a 600cc bike, talked to the owner and he suggested a 250 because of my lack of experience. I'd be happy enough on a 250 for a while but i'd wanna upgrade maybe 6 months down the track and the problem there is i cant afford it. Im buyin a bike soon and then that will be it.
    My experience isnt really an issue to me... i'd ride a 600 just as i'd ride a 250... Like a grandma until i slowly worked out exactly whats it's like to do anything (handling wise etc.) on the particular bike. Im cautious on the road and im certainly not silly.

Basically ive been told it'll be harder to resell a 250 than a larger bike and i should go at least a 600cc especially if i cant afford to resell my bike later and upgrade which is the case.

I just wondered what your opinions would be on this topic. Any welcome. :) Thanks!
  2. Where are you located...if in NSW you can buy a LAMS approved 600cc...in VIC you are stuck on a 250...although you can still learn plenty on a 250...I commuted everyday on mine for about 18 months and loved it! :)
  3. oh this will be a good one , :popcorn: :beer: :bolt:
  4. buy my bike. Ull look good on it
  5. Nah like i said above i had decided on 250 after what the shop owner told me but last couple days people hav told me it's harder to resell a 250 and in 6 months im gunna want an upgrade anyway.

Just need a little help in makin a decision. At the moment it's lookin like 250 will be way to go cuz i want new and can only afford 600 if it's second hand anyway.

LAMS was my biggest hope and i'd be stoked with that but im not sure if they do it here in WA. I was told they dont but that might be wrong. I want a hyosung and the gt650 cut back to 250 would be ideal.
  6. If you're located in Victoria re-selling a 250 wouldn't be a problem at all - they're in constant demand. Hell, people are still silly enough to pay $6000+ for a CBR250RRRRRRR that's 15 years old. :p :LOL:
  7. Well why not buy an older 250,eg 82 model gpz 250 for $600 and learn how to ride it. Its not much money to outlay and you will be able to resell a 250 as they are in reasonably high demand as everyone that gets their Ls needs one unless they dont want to ride on their Ls and Ps legally.
    I can ride my 250 to red line in top gear, doesnt mean im due for an upgrade yet. Im still no where near the limits of my bike and a bet when i upgrade i still wont be able to ride the 250 to its limits.
    So with this in mind why do you need a brand new bike or a bigger bike, maybe im missing something but why not learn on something cheap and upgrade to something better when you can ride better.
  8. Tenoq wrote:
    Dude I think you left out one R in that. They're fully sick mate. rev to like 20 million RPMS and youze can get them at suxmoto for $7k!
    It's a blade!!!
  9. Yeah ive just been speakin to a couple guys and they said same thing. Get a cheap 250 to learn on and spend up bigger later. Basically the only reason i wantd a bigger bike now is cuz later i can't afford to upgrade but thats cuz i was lookin at a brand new $6000 250cc. Not to go faster or harder right away.

I just wanted (and always have) a bike that i'll really love straight away and a bunky old cheap 250 prob wont do that for me.
    But now having talked to others i cant really justify payin $6000+ for a new 250 when i know im gunna upgrade in a year or so.

Got some good advice from someone just 10 mins ago. He said go get your liscence before you do anythin else. Then i can try before i buy anythin and decide from there. Probably a good idea lol! I'll be doin that now.

Thanks for your comments fellas. It's helpin a lot with my decision.
  10. While you say you will want to upgrade after 6 months...

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on my learners here in VIC (and NZ before that) of about 3.5 years. I never regretted having a 250cc bike in that time. I always rode the hi performance 4 strokes - e.g CBR250RR, ZXR250, and GSXR-250(not many of those here). There's a huge amount you can learn on a 250cc about traffic and anticipation.
    When I look back at what I knew about riding at the start, then 6 months, then 1 year, to now (6 years) there is a huge amount I was missing.

If you think riding fast might be your thing, then learning to keep up on a 250 sports bike will give you much better skills than just figuring out how to twist the throttle on a 600cc++

I've still got mates who have 250's because they are cheap to rego and easy to ride.

Get a nice 250 isn't completely immaculate (you will drop it) and have the time of your life.
  11. When I bought my bike in January there weren't many cheap 250's on the market in Perth, but I picked one up for $600 in Kalgoorlie. Even after I factor in the diesel and trailer hire to go and pick it up, and the replacement chain and sprockets, it was much cheaper than anything I could have found in Perth.

We don't have LAMS in WA, so you'll be limited to 250cc for the first year. Once you've got your R-E license you can apply for your R learners, and after you've had the R-E for a year you can do the test (so go for the R learners a few weeks after you get your license, cos it's only valid for a year).

I don't think you'll have any trouble selling a 250 in Perth - there's way more people out there who are new to riding than there are second hand bikes.

Also, after you've been riding for a while you'll have a better idea about what you like/dislike - you might find a particular riding position is uncomfortable, or there's something about a bike that you don't like - better to find out on a cheap bike than to buy a brand new bike and be stuck with something you're not happy with.
  12. Can you tell us why you think a 'bunky old cheap 250' wouldn't do it for you? Do you plan to be riding at 160km/h+ when you are NEW to riding? Just trying to see why you honestly don't think a 250 would cut your mustard (for a while at the beginning to a while)? You may just shit yourself on a 250 when riding at the start and "giving it some guts". If you said you plan on riding slow/learning the bike, I can't see why an old 250 wouldn't do the same thing a 600 would do for the first 6-48 months of your riding experience :)
  13. True Bob, this'll be the usual fun...

Righto newb - you know nothing so start with nothing. Get thee to a training centre and get thee some knowledge. You do not deserve a good-sized capacity bike so forget a 600+cc, with your stated lack of any skill you will possibly just kill yourself sooner. Buy something appropriate to your skills, a 250 may be above them given that a 250 can be raced and you aint Danny Pedrossa :wink: .

Start slowly, start legally, but just start. when you actually know shit then think about a bigger bike.

Nice to meet you. :grin:
  14. Buy something that makes you feel good. Buy something that makes you happy whenever you see it parked in the garage. Buy something you feel comfortable riding, something you can learn to corner on, brake on, go fast on. Buy something that you will respect but not fear.

You can die just as easily on a 250 as you can on a 1000.

The limitations and restrictions applied to society only serve to undermine our power and free-thought.

What you buy and how you ride is entirely up to you. Good luck. You are an adult, and you can make your own decisions.
  15. +1
    And Deyago "knows stuff", so heed his advice well :)
  16. Thanks for your replies all. :)

Probably a little hasty posting straight after one person told me not to get a 250. Pretty much everyone else i know has told me to def go cheaper 250 first tho and that's what i've decided to do.

Some of you are getting me slightly wrong though in thinkn all i wanna do is get a big bike to go as fast as possible.

Being able to go faster or have more accel was something someone told me i would defnatley want in 6 months or so and hey... he might be right but it's not a factor at all at the moment.

Basically i just couldnt justify payin a large amount of money ( which is what i had planned before today ;) ) for a bike i may trade or sell in a year.
    So the thought went to gettin a cheap 250.

By 'bunky' 250 i mean what i said. If i pay say $600 bucks for a bike im not gunna get what i will payin $6000 for one. The bike i eventually look for (the one i will really love and cherish... My taste) will probly be a late model, great condition (possibly second hand) bike.
    This isnt to say i wont thoroughly enjoy a cheap old 250... I know i really will but at the end of the day it's not my dream bike.

By the way deyago losing the patronising attitude might be a better way to convey your tips to newbs. I will take what you've said on board though and i do thankyou for your advice. Nice to meet you too :grin:

I've already organised training and plan to get my liscence before i purchase anything. Can't wait!
  17. In regards to reselling a 250, find out if WA is planning on going to LAMS. If they are, then yes, it may become harder to resell when suddenly things like throttle restricted Ducatis become an option on restricted licences and you're trying to flog an Across :bolt: . If LAMS isn't coming in and the 250cc restriction is there to stay, then there will always be a market for 250 learner bikes as people continue to flock to riding in greater numbers. This was the case in SA when I did my licence(before LAMS came in).

I'd get a really basic, cheap 250 that will teach you a lot about riding. That is why the CB250(sob sob) was such a good learners bike. If it is a simple bike, it will also allow you to really get to know it by doing a lot of the maintenance yourself. This is a huge aspect of riding for some people.
  18. Ah but 'tis my way and it's possibly better than stating that you'd be an idiot to get a large capacity bike without the necessary skills :p .

Buy sensible riding gear of the best quality, go to a training course or two to get you familiar with the basics and when you do start riding take it easy. Pratically every learner I know crashes and it's either a skill issue or an ego issue. Increase one, decrease the other.

There's a good lad.....sorry, could help myself :grin: