Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What range should i be able to see in my mirrors?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by tigerspew, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hi Guys.

Im riding a CBF250, which when i bought it had its handle bars and (mirrors i presume) replaced due to the previous owner dropping the bike.

My question is, what range of vision should i be able to see through my mirrors? Should i have a clear line done the lane next to me? Should i be able to see what directly behind and to the side?

I feel like i cant see S$%T through my mirrors and have taken to looking over my shoulder rather then scanning my mirrors cause i dont feel like im seeing enough of my surroundings through them to be safe.

Im not sure if the mirrors are too low for me or something.

What do you guys see clearly when you scan your mirrors?

2. In normal gear on a VTR250 I adjust the mirrors so that my elbows are only just in view. With this I can see behind me and the other lanes from a cruising position.

As soon as I move around I can't see S#!t. With wet weathers on I can't see S#!t.

I think getting used to looking around is par for course. Other riders might have better mirrors but hey, you learn to live with what you have.

3. With most bikes you get a nice view of your elbows but some are worse tha others.
    Mirror extenders are available for most bikes but I wonder why convex mirrors are not fitted as standard?

4. If can see your elbows it's about right, more than that & you've got great mirrors!

Turn your head some more, you'll be right! :grin:

5. cycleaware_mirror.

Solved.

6. Most motorcycle rearview mirrors don't live up to their name.
    You'll find that moving your elbow or shoulder should reveal something worth looking at to the rear left & right of you.

Head check is good policy though.

7. Mirrors are bloody crap, I don't know why they won't f ucking approve the Reevu helmets :evil:

Generally you adjust them so you can see half your lane and half the next or the lane over if you're in the far right track.

The storms mirrors are gimped though so i often have a great view of my arms but not much of the traffic.

Also you have a blindspot directly behind you and police motorcycles like to take advantage of this and follow you in your line till you decide to give it a squirt so i'd advice moving around in the lane every now and then to get a better idea of whats directly behind you or wriggling till you can see directly behind you.

8. I like looking at my shoulders :p

considering mirror extenders on the next bike, depends on how bad it is though. I'm riding with one mirror atm (I know, naughty.) waiting on new ones from taiwan or something to get here :>

9. Irespective of how much you can see in your mirrors, you need to be aware of how much you can see and by extension how much you can't.

Next time you are pulled up at the lights in multi lane traffic, take a note of the limit of vision to your left and right, that is use the cars to measure the extent of your blind spots.

For example today i was stopped and my front wheel was level with the front of a taxi in the lane to my right. In my mirror I could down the right lane and just see the back of the taxi. Which means from the back of the taxi forward is a blind spot for the lane next to me, even bigger two lanes over. Your mirrors may not be as good as mine are set pretty wide, much wider than shoulder width, which means your blind spots may be much bigger..

Once you know how big your blind spot is you know how much/where to check before swapping lanes.

Remember mirrors are handy but never never a substitute for a head check.

10. I also suggest if there is rom to park on a littl angle at the lights. Helps to provide a better view behind you so you can for that individual who brakes late/not at all.

11. I just turn my bars slightly and lean to one side a little to see behind me, not so far that if I had to take off to avoid something it would cause problems though.

12. I put mirror extenders on my bike last week - HUGE difference. Instead of looking at my elbows I now have almost a full mirror view of the road each side. Very worthwhile and a cheap upgrade (for me) at $60 odd.

13. Right, so seems this is a issue lots of people have. Ill stick with my head check for now, ive got a great view of my sides and elbows at moment.

And maybe one of those bike helmet mirrors too.