Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What pump/ pressure gauge?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sixty2strat, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Looking for a pump + pressure gauge preferably in one unit.. Needs to have calibration accuracy suitable for motorbike tires... any suggestions?
    <$40 also preferable..

2. I have a michelin double barrel foot pump. The thing is pretty good, was about $40 I think, and I got mine from Autobarn, but I'm pretty sure a fair few places sell them. If you can't get a guage, borrow a mates, and just check it against the one on the pump. I found the foot pump was out by 3psi all the time, everytime.
  3. I bought a little one at the Camping expo a few weeks ago. 12V terrain tamer brand. Was $40. It's very quiet and fills up tyres fast. It's a single head piston pump with a ciggy lighter plug.

It has an analogue gauge that is pretty accurate (to about +/- 2lb/in^2) compared to the good digital gauge.

Have a look at 4WD shops (not ARB shops as they only sell their own overpriced shit).

4. I've also got one of these and the pressure is accurate against my "good" gauge, one of these sorts of thing

but mine was more exxy (and is consistent with the one my mechanic uses)
  5. I've got a shitty small electric air compressor that runs off a 12v outlet in a car. It does the job though.

As for gauges, I use this: http://slime.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_9&products_id=43

Seems to be accurate, and it's handy having real time measurement and a pressure release because most of the time I end up over inflating by 1-2psi. (air compressor's gauge is shit) I haven't had a chance to compare it to my mechanics master gauge yet though.

I have a few pen gauges that are mostly 2-4psi off. I tested two cheaper slime gauges that a friend of mine owned, one was 2psi under and the other was 10psi under! So beware, shitty gauges can be quite far off.
  6. I bought one from Kmart today for $10, 12v cigarette lighter plug. While you're there hit up the book section - there's a sweet book 'The Ultimate History of Fast Bikes' for $19... 300 pages full colour etc - it's awesome.