Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What problems should I expect after dropping my bike?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Nocker, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Well I'm really piss#d with myself now. I dropped the bike for the first time this morning. :evil: :evil:

The wheels slipped on the smooth concrete at the indoor car park at work and I got high sided.

What should I expect to find wrong with the bike now?

The only damage is that the front right indicator lens is broken and I'm pretty sure that the handle bars are slightly twisted to the right (that means that the forks are twisted right?). Can they be bent back straight? Or how do you fix them? Get new ones!? :shock:

After it happened the bike wouldn't start for a couple of hours, but that didn't matter cause I still had all day at work. Also fuel leaking when I stood it up but I turned the fuel tap off and that seemed to stop it.

2. Non starting after a drop is the norm, and time will fix that one. The fuel tends to get a mind of its own when allowed to roam free :LOL:

I'd be surprised if the handlebars or forks are bent from a low speed drop ( even a highside ) more likely just twisted . Try supporting the front of the bike[ ie: under the engine ] on a jack so that the front wheel is just lifted of the ground, and only 'just' loosen all the tripple clamp bolts. Then holding the front wheel between your legs give the bars a twist till its all straight again, then tighten it all back up.

It may help to use a friend to help you align the front easier.
    Some people will say check the alignment using a string line from the back wheel. But imo a quick ride around the block will tell if its all tracking right :wink:

If your not sure about trying this fix, DONT you can make a minor problem worse or not ridable at all.
  3. I would also check the battery terminal connections, the battery can get thrown around quite a bit in a drop sometimes.
  4. +1 on the fork straightening.

I had many stacks on my old dirt bike and found I had bent steering. All it was was the forks moving in the triples.

Loosen the bolts, bend it straight and you're laughing.

Shouldn't be too much that isn't visually obvious.
  5. Thanks for the replies.

I'm absolutely paranoid about things that like this. The old saying "if you don't know then it won't hurt you" has definately not paid off for me in the past.

Much appreciated. :wink:
  6. Dont forget that noise that sounds like sniggering that follows you everywhere you go....

The forks shouldnt bend at that kind of speed. Loosen triple clamps and twist is the go.
  7. Let me know if you want a had, hope your ok.