Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What paint to use?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by lordtb, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Does any one know what paint is best to use on a brake master cylinder??

On my project bike the seal is weeping and the paint has blistered off... any ideas on how to prepare the paint?

2. Any paint will do, just use an etch primer first. (It's aluminium right?) I like Wattyl Killrust, if your painting steel you don't need a primer.

That looks like the paint has been exposed to brake fluid too, try not to do that after you paint or you'll have to paint it again.

3. I'd rub it back and not paint it at all...

4. I tend to do that too quite a bit, but it depends if you like the patina or not I guess. It's an honest look.

5. I think with time it will look very dull... but how would I prep/clean the surfaces??

This thing has writing, bumps, dips and all sorts of interesting angles..

6. Soda blasting would be best, you can DIY with an air compressor & a $15 kit from super cheap. & Bi carb soda of course!

I am about to start on my bike, it's pretty easy & cheap if you have an air compressor.

7. Brake fluid seems quite effective. :wink: