Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW What modifications void LAMS status?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by basejumper, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Has anyone had any experience as to what " modifications" has been done to a lams bike that voids it's lams status ? Seems to be such a grey area. I bet there are thousands of lams bikes out there with non standard exhausts on them. Has anyone ever been pulled over by a cop who has fined them for riding a "lams" bike that has been modified and the cops pinged them for it ? Cheers

2. To my knowledge the only thing that separates a LAMS bike from an Open bike is the power to weight factor. If a modification doesn't change that to being above the allowed number then I can't see why it would attract any penalty.
    I'm happy to be corrected, but that's the way I would view it.

Edit: That assumes the modification is otherwise legal of course.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You also need to check with your insurance. They may not cover a modified LAMS bike or it may greatly increase your premium.
  4. #4 KenOathcarn, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Short of having a NOS bottle hanging off your rear sub-frame or a Garret GT35R poking through the fairing I suspect you'd have to either be pretty unlucky or fail the "attitude test" badly to get too much trouble...
  5. a disco-potato would be ok though...
  6. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Over 660cc or over 150KW/t and you're technically breaching LAMS. What might happen next I have no idea. You'd have to attract some serious scrutiny to be caught out, but I wouldn't want to be caught doing it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'd put that on my bike!