Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured What makes a good riding buddy?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by XJ6N, May 19, 2015.

1. I'm a new rider with six months' road experience. I've been on a number of rides with other people - some good, some bad experiences. Difference in rider attitude has been the deciding factor for me.

I've heard about other riders who have developed a close-knit riding group over time. Outwardly it might appear that they all ride the same style of motorcycle or that they're of a similar experience level or age group.

I'm interested to know - what makes a good riding buddy for you?
  2. I am yet to experience a group ride, have had few offers though. I guess for me age or style of a bike wouldn't matter that much as long as they look hot in their leathers :p

But seriously, attitude, common interests, how one deals with potential problems during the ride and supports each other would be important things to consider
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Agree with Fr33dm empathy for the group is an important thing. That means you personally may be able to go faster, choose more difficult roads, go on dirt roads etc but you make choices for the overall enjoyment of the group.

On the other hand if it is an individual riding buddy and it is just the two or three of you, you can push the envelope a bit. Take the road less travelled, arrange to camp out by the side of a river. Go riding with a single phone call rather than organised meet points, timetables etc.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I prefer small numbers when riding.
    The bike types have little to do with the experience.

For me, being on the same wavelength, whether on or off the bike. Understanding and looking out for you when not having a good day.
    Sharing the others elation when you're riding like a God (or at least feel like you are).

I've been very lucky to have that from early on in my riding experience.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. These were exact words I was looking for! Thank you fin mentalfin mental for finding them (y)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I reckon just ride with one person & preferably of the opposite sex coz then you can screw 'em. But make sure it's the opposite sex coz one time I...never mind :'(
    • Funny Funny x 11
  7. You also wanna be sure they know what they're doing. That's why I tend to ride alone.

Seriously though, I don't ride in big groups ("big" being anything >3) cos I don't like all the farting around at meetup points and rest stops. What I look for in a riding buddy: answers their phone, responds to messages, turns up / is ready at the agreed time. Not a hero. Keen eye for cops. Happy to leave me behind when I'm feeling contemplative and just meet me at the next agreed stop.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Interesting question, For me;
    -Rides at safe pace and doesn't pressure you into taking unnecessary risks
    -ability to provide supportive and constructive feedback
    -shares your sense of humour and similar views on what an adventure is.
    Also handy to have someone to have at least one mate who has a good mechanical understanding to teach you the basics of bike maintenance or help repair damage.

Unless your a Harley rider I cant imagine the need to stick to people with similar brands or styles of bikes. One of my best riding partners buzz's around on a 300cc SYM scooter and manages to put up strong fight through the mountains .

While its good to base yourself around and learn from experienced riders you don't want them to pressure you into riding outside your ability's, ride your own ride. My advice is to stay well clear of learner groups...they seem to wipe out each other far to often.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I enjoy organized group rides and I do them on a regular basis (Ulysses and H.O.G and I've done Netrider ones as well) but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

It helps if you like coffee (during morning break) and eating out (lunch breaks) and aren't impatient (waiting for slower riders) but more importantly you need to be the sort of person who doesn't mind doing stuff by the book.

That means corner markers and ride leaders and TECs most of the time (which I actually prefer because I don't have to worry about which way to go or when I get where and I'm a bit directionally challenged) but some people aren't built that way.

If you're unsure try it, you may find you enjoy it (or you may not) but either way you'll know.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I enjoy riding with someone who has a vast amount of experience who I am on the same wave length with (both on and off the bike) a great asset. Choose someone who you admire as a rider and hope to learn some of their skills from. I enjoy following a good rider who I can watch lane position, gear change, braking times etc to learn from, but they also need to be someone who is willing to follow me at times and pick apart my faults (in a positive manner) so I can learn to better my riding skills. Oh and I second Big W, if you can screw them its a HUGE tension breaker/bonus, nothing better than that post ride shag to bask in the post ride excitement after glow, all the more fun really.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Well-said, Fr33dm. How people react to problems is such a big deal. In my (limited) experience it has often been older riders who have responded best to problems on the road and with other riders or drivers. Having a common interest or perspective makes the conversation over a coffee or beer as much a feature of a ride as the riding itself.

This sentence embodies my touring ideal. Loose schedule, take the opportunities that present themselves along the way.

This is such a hard-to-define thing yet makes any experience, motorcycling or otherwise, much more than the sum of its parts. Sharing the same road experience can take you at least some of the way to being on the same wavelength in that moment.

I have ridden recently with a small group who have a policy of never leaving someone behind the T.E.C. It's reassuring and limiting all at once. I tend to like having some independence in this vein but I see their point too.

I can't overstate how much I agree with this, especially for newer riders. Being pressured in to riding faster or similar would end a ride for me.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. My preferred riding situation is with my brother; we've been riding together on and off for decades and all other things considered, I know I'm never going to have any nasty surprises. Last weekend we did the Putty, stayed over in Newcastle and rode back through Wollombi, Wiseman's Ferry, Penrith and The Oaks...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I agree with many points made here. Having always ridden alone I cant really comment on the whole riding in pairs or more scenario. I hope that I can do it one day, before that though I have a long way to go skills wise! :D:D
    • Like Like x 4
  14. There's a need for a inclusion to rider training about group riding - what's expected of you as a participant and the various informal roles that riders perform...

Now, I understand that your riding buddy is different to mine...tolerant as they are, I have an idea it'd increase tension if I suggested a post-ride tumble-in-the-hay with any of those blokes...

That is awesome, hornet. That's another level of 'close-knit' riding buddy. Families that have a common interest seem to get along better in the long run.

I've done the vast majority of my riding alone thus far too. Finding the right person who's on the same (rider) wavelength (as mentioned previously by fin mental) is a bit like romance...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. NR to expand into online matching service!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Like Grindr, but with more leather. I'm in! :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I'm not familiar with the leather content on Grindr, but I shall take your word for it
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I've turned down offers for group rides as I was never sure whether I would be able to keep up and how this was going to be received.

But the one group ride I did go on was so fantastic that I'm looking forward to more and all of these things that Fr33dmFr33dm quoted were all present. Great company, common interest and support.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. And a new common theme of this thread emerges...o_O
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Had to Google that... Sorry mate, not my seen ;) But as XJ6NXJ6N noticed, we do agree on more leather!
    • Funny Funny x 2