Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What made you want to learn to ride a bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Tigress, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi All,

When I went for my learners the instructor asked us "Why do you want to learn how to ride a motorobike"

What made me attend the course was an experience I had as a pillion.

We started at 8am and rode down to Lorne. Had plenty of stops and met up with a few other riders along the way. It was my first time on a bike(unless you count the peewee 50 I rode at a farm when I was 15 hehe.)

Sitting on the back was scary enough let alone having to lean with the rider. I was also worried about the traffic around us. Luckily everything went well and we had a great social day. I did say I would never get on a bike again, but here I am 6 months later learning how to ride.

Tash :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wanting to rent a scooter in Phuket but not being covered by travel insurance as I didn't have a bike license.
  4. Sick of being a pillion too.... Time to step up :)
  5. because it's cool... and first time I tried it, I had the biggest grin on my face. Felt like I was strapped to a chair with a rocket up my ass... :D
    • Like Like x 1

If I may add

Seriously? It runs in the family. Dad had one and some other family members did as well. Been a pillion since a toddler and last but not the least - I'm a hopeless romantic at heart and everything about bikes is 'Romantic'. :). The freedom, the escapism, the sound of the exhaust, the long road - you get the point??
    • Like Like x 2
  7. heehee... this is also my reason, and you have summarized it quite well for me, thanks
  8. In between jobs at age 48, sitting at home 'SEEK' ing, and job hunting, thought fark it, went and got the 'bike first' from Daylesford, got learners a few days later, thatwas 3 years ago. 4 bikes, 1 write off, 2 frac ribs, frac scapula and tendon damage, and a couple of drops, still luvvin riding as I did when I got a quick taste at age 15 on an yz80 in Coburg decades ago :)
  9. ...and THE FONZ

10. Carpetbelly...when I was driving home from my learners weekend and I passed the test, I had the biggest grin on my face too! Even though I stuggled a little majority of the time I did well and loved it!

Ohh Goddie a few injuries there! I fell off my bike during the learners and had a nice graze on my knee, Kevlar jeans next time ;)

Thanks all for sharing :) I love hearing other people's stories :)
  11. It seemed like it would be a fun thing to do. It turned out that riding a motorbike is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
  12. For the rush. Sounded like a better idea than taking up heroin.

oh...and I saw some peewee's bashing around in a paddock and I thought I could do better
  13. This might sound a bit lame, but the company I worked for moved to the city and the traffic was driving me nuts. I didn't want to catch the train so a motorbike was the only logical choice - thank Christ for logic, eh?

It runs in the blood......
  15. For years my husband and I have said we wanted to get our licences and bikes..we finally have!
    I'd also like to become qualified to fly a helicopter. One day.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The fun of learning something new. And cause everyone says not to do it. lol.
  17. To irritate the Mrs :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Because I lived in Bristol in the UK and being a big, hairy, borderline outlaw seemed like a good way to avoid getting beaten up or robbed on a weekly basis.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Semi competitive cycling for well over 10 years and needing/wanting to go faster :demon:

But in all honesty

It's the closest thing I can image to flying a jet-fighter at ground level
  20. i was 5
    there is no logic or reason at 5
    you do things simply because you want to.
    took a 16 year break from bikes, but it was always burning deep down inside so i started kicking the ground. after about a year the planets aligned and a bike once again graced my garage