Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what lubricants to be used on which engine parts?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Meyerhoff, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. So. Doing the shims.
    I know the engine pumps oill up to lubricate that general area .
    I sprayed some wd40 down the valve holes because I'm worried an exhaust valve might bestuck because it had no clearance .

The manual isn't clear because it's poorly translated. It definitely says to put moly grease on the cam shafts. I was planning on putting the moly grease everywhere including the cam chain. But now i remember in the manual it says not to use moly based oil because it's bad for the clutch plates. I'm going to change the oil anyway.

Will slathering the whole thing with moly grease cause problems? Should i just let the oil do its thing? Any other good lubes i can use on certain engine parts.

2. WD40 doesf#kall for lubrication.

moly or assembly lube (for example) on cam lobes is to protect them initially from a dry start (unless you pre-prime your oil galleries and drizzle oil over cams before starting.
    it is only a smear, and only to give lubrication under high load before oil gets there properly.

the molybdenum disulfide kind of acts like graphite (sliding layers). if that gets on clutch.. not ideal.
    don7t slather it around. absolute minimum, if at all.

for inside engine... engine oil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Most components in the engine get soaked in engine oil which is their primary lubricant. Once the engine gets upto temperature it will likely burn off any grease or the oil will wash it away
    Certainly put some grease on the cams when rebuilding however my attention would be to torque values. Save slopping on the grease for the wheel bearings, swingarms, steering head bearings and other areas.

4. Oil all the moving parts generously (on their bearing/contact faces) as you assemble them, just use the normal engine oil in an oil can for this.
    The molybdenum disulphide grease is for the tappets and cam lobes (again, on the contact faces), it takes a while for oil to get to the top of the motor and the cam lobes work under a fair amount of pressure from the valve springs, hence a special lube to combat wear on first start up.
    When you first start it, run it straight up to 2000 or 3000 revs and hold it there for a minute to ensure prompt and full oil circulation.

5. Back to valve clearances, do you know what you are doing,? Do you know about TDC, top dead centre, when your cam is engaging your valve, you will not have any clearance, if your valve is stuck, it will hit the top of your piston, not good, do you have shims, or is it thread controlled, or self adjusting hydraulic, sorry, see you said shims, do have a valve depressor, spare shims, intake will be a different measurement to the outlet. If you answer no to any of these, I advise you to seek advise from somebody who knows what they are doing. Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Not a job taken lightly. You can stuff the engine pretty quickly if you don't know what you're doing.