Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What level of rattiness is allowed in a track only bike?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by minoz, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Just wondering what is required in order to get past scrutineers at a track day. Obviously it will have to be roadworthy and not be a total and utter shite box but what else?
    No fairings on what was always a faired bike, streetfighters, or works in progress? Im doing up an early GSXR400 and finding it hard to get all the right panels so it will be a bit of a bodge to look at what with an r1 ? arse end on it and all. Hey I bought it like that.

Ive seen all sorts at track days but that was a while ago and I wonder if things have changed.
  2. As long as you have all the required parts on the bike there shouldnt be too much of a drama with getting on the track. Tie wire everything and oil catch can or belly pan or what ever they run and should be right.

Going fast and looking nice don't always mean the same thing.
  3. If it's just used for track days, you generally don't have to tie wire anything, or even put a belly pan on, and this applies to almost all tracks in Australia, including Phillip Island and Eastern Creek.

The bike must not have any exposed brackets. i.e. if you've pulled off the front fairing but still have the instrument panel mounted to the front fairing sub-frame bracket that now has bars poking out, that's not allowed.

The chain has to be correctly adjusted. The fairings (if there are any) must be securely fastened. You can't have fairings held on by duct-tape, or half-broken and flapping around in the wind where they might bend and tear off. Brakes and clutch must work properly, and that's pretty much about all that's required. The bike must also be structually sound, meaning no heavily dented frame, cracked frames, and so on. You don't want the bike to fall apart under race-track stresses at 200kph through some corner.

Other than that, that's usually about all that's required. Particular tracks may have some specific extra rules to them, but for most tracks the above is generally all that's checked for track days.

For racing, it's a whole different kettle of fish, and you'll need to abide by the regulation of the racing body under which you're registered, and they'll give you a full set of regs to be followed with little doubt as to what is needed.
  4. Chain guard compulsory?
  5. No. Seen plenty of bikes at the track without chain guards, or even front sprocket covers for that matter.

I don't have a chain guard and have never had troubles passing scrutineering.