Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is your most near death experience on a motorcycle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by poorpigi, Mar 22, 2008.

1. We have all had them, tankslappers, sideways down the wrong side of the road, near head ons.

The feeling is euphoric when you come out the other side.

You always vow never to do it again but you always find your self there agin... Why

I think it's humn nature to push it as far as we can go.

Got to love human nature...

2. Well my memory is short so I'll just do today's near death experience, which was giving it some serious stick with a car well in the distance.. reaching.. some kms an hour.. judged how much longer I could accel before having to brake for the car, but then the car braked to go somewhere hehe.

Not really a close call but I did have to work the brakes semi hard and stoke the gearbox on the way down. Fun though :grin:

3. Mine wasn't on the road, but at a motorcross track...

There's a place in adelaide called stonewell park which is for public use to ride dirtbikes, quads etc.

anyway, I had just bought an RM250.

On the enduro track when you get to the end theres a massive straight. Well... I pinned it :)

I was going in 4th pinned fairly fast, and I just thought "Oh why not?" Clicked it into 5th and I was going faster than I ever had before.

I was going about 110kmph. I had gone 90kmph on a bike with a speedo before, but I was going waaay faster than that.

Anyway, I'm hooning along and I somehow hit this bump extremely hard which makes me go into a MASSIVE fishtail type of thing. My backwheel was flying left and right sooo fast but luckily I controlled it. Somehow my muffler flew off too ahaha.

But I rekon if I came off I could have seriously hurt myself or actually died.

Scariest moment of my life.

4. To many to go into :shock: 3 cages to my credit and 2 of them i wrote off,plus numerous close calls.But thats to be expected when you have riden on the roads for 31 years :wink:

5. went down a pretty steep lift in kinglake with bike on its side and me. missed all the trees. pretty hairy

6. Sliding, on my back, watching the car that was behind me about to run me over, just before they veered off the road up the embankment, in the process wrecking their car (for which I never recieved an insurance claim).

Then there was the time I hit a tree (at about 50mph), went to the right of the tree and hit a fence post.

7. (Z900 Quote)
    To many to go into 3 cages to my credit and 2 of them i wrote off,plus numerous close calls.But thats to be expected when you have riden on the roads for 31 years

Hearing u.

Been out there 34 years.. 2 cages, one through a caravan at 100. That was fun. Numerous adventures on a bike. It's all good as long as your still breathing...

8. Thought i could keep up with three 1000cc bikes in the natio when i was on my Ls on the rs125
    tried to overtake 4 cars on the wrong side of the road over double lines hit a big bump and had a masssive tank slapper whilst overtaking. Kept the throttle pinned and made the overtake then stopped up the road a bit to chill out.
    Dumbest thing i have ever done.!

9. A car came out of a blind side street straight through a stop sign and then realized it had done so and slammed on the brakes blocking both my lane and the lane next to me.

There was a car next to me and a car coming towards me in the opposite way lanes (plus there was a 2metre drop to them and a wall).

The car next to me skidded locked up, I locked the front end and went flying through the air over the handle bars head first toward the side of the car that had come through the stop sign.

In the split second after I went over the bars and before I hit the car I remember things slowing down and me thinking "well I've done it this time.. I'm dead now" and my whole body just went relaxed (no time to feel scared).

I'm told that I spun in the air and impacted the car length ways (rather than head first), the bike which was by now sliding on it's side slammed into my legs and the bike and I bounced away from the car.

I landed some 2 car lengths from the car (after seeing a high speed blur spin), slammed into the ground (that *really* hurt too), then bounced off the tarmac about a metre in the air and landed again (that didn't seem to hurt much at all after what had come before)... then my head sort of went *boing* *boing* *boing* before the helmet stopped acting like a ball.

I sort of blacked out after that for a short time, but came to about 10 minutes before the ambos got there.

That's pretty much my 'near(est) to death experience' (don't really want to get any closer ta muchly).

10. syd rs125

I take it u went out and bought a gold lotto ticket after that. Luckerly I have never come hit something that hard.

11. A couple of weeks ago while doing the bit t'ween walcha and gingers while traveling at not 180 a kanga appeared to my left on an uphill right hand sweep. By the time it took you to read this word -that one, you just read it, the sucker was in the middle of the road. Then...Gone..
    Fuk me if the kanga dose'nt disappear under my right hand mirror !! Thats the last i saw of it, missed it by inches. Didn't do anything to avoid the thing, i did not have the chance.
    You know what i thought when all this happen?
    "i'll be right"
    I'll be right my arse , i had one of those "this only happens to other people" moments, that was the closest i have come in 20 years.

12. Posted this a while ago, so most of the NR veterans will have read it. However, for the new folk:

Just noticed the request for war stories so I thought I'd share the sequence of events leading up to my nastiest near-miss (or should that be near-hit Very Happy )of all time. All my own fault too. Spot the c%#k-ups.

Fifteen years ago, back in the UK, half a dozen of us were returning from an evening run to a country pub.

I was on my old CB400N, which had been playing up a bit of late due to some crap from a secondhand replacement fuel tank getting into the carbs. After several weeks of fiddling and flushing I thought it was sorted and this was partly a shakedown run.

I'd had a couple of pints over the course of the evening and, although well inside the legal blood alcohol limit my faculties probably didn't have the finely honed edge that I've come to accept as necessary for two-wheeled survival.

As we left the pub, it was noted that one of my companions, a young lady whose favour I sought, had a dead tail light. No amount of fuse or wire twiddling would get it to light reliably and so it was agreed that I'd stick close behind to give her some tail end cover.

The road was a lovely, winding two-laner and the night was clear, warm and dry so we set a brisk but not excessive pace, running at the 60 mph (100 kmh) speed limit or a bit more, riding to the slowest bike (an old Yam XT250) in the group.

All went well until we came up behind a couple of slower cars. Not a problem, just need to wait for the next overtaking opportunity.

A short straight appeared and the leading GS1000 gunned it and got past. Then my charge on a Kwak GT550 went through.

I looked at what remained of the straight. It was tight but doable and the GT's tail lamp was out so, feeling obliged to keep up, I went for it too.

The old CB, ghastly though it was, was decently quick and I got past car number 1 without problems, keeping it nailed to pass car number 2.

Then the carb problem made itself felt and the bl*ody thing stuttered and went onto one cylinder for a split second, before coming back on song.

The two cars were nose to tail and I was already past what little gap there was. In hindsight, I'd have backed off and barged my way into the gap if necessary, but, at the time, I kept it on.

By this time, the straight had largely disappeared, the white lines were threatening imminent solidity and there was a moderately sharp right hander ahead. Just as I was thinking, "If nothing comes the other way I'm OK", the lights of an oncoming vehicle became visible and rapidly became impossible to ignore as they rounded the bend.

Narrowroadnoroomnowheretogo80 mphohf*ckthisisitgoodbyeworld.

Fighting a strong urge to shut my eyes and consign my soul to whatever might await, I braked reflexively and jammed hard up against the car I was alongside. And I mean tight. My left pinkie was pressed against the edge of his mirror. Knees tucked in tight and hope.

The oncoming car passed me so close I felt its mirror brush the fringes on the right sleeve of my leather.

And to add insult to utter terror, the right hander opened out onto the most beautiful long, empty straight, thus rendering my self-inflicted near death experience completely ridiculously pointless.

When I got home, and looked in a mirror I found I'd gone a sort of luminous white and I didn't stop shaking for days. I'm also informed that everyone riding behind me had had a good scream on my behalf.

So lets have a look at the lessons. First the negatives:-

1) A substandard bike that didn't perform as expected.
    2) A substandard rider, not illegal but not 100%.
    3) Said rider being led by his genitals to make poor decisions.
    4) Taking liberties on an unfamiliar road.

Now the positives:-

5) However dire the situation, don't give up. Find the gap and aim for it.
    6) Sometimes, you just get good luck you really don't deserve.

And I never did get my leg over. Crying or Very sad

13. drive chain snapped on an rgv250 whilst hard on the throttle at about 150kmh and locked up the rear wheel.i was thrown forward over the front of the bike looking straight back at the headlight.my left hand came off the grip as my feet went above my head,accompanied by vicious tank slapping.I was convinced without a doubt that i was coming off.suddenly the chain came loose and i found my bum back on the seat and left hand relocated on the grip,coasting to along to a stop.it happened in a flash or so it seemed.pulled over and checked the budgie-smugglers for vegemite.finally recomposed and checked the bike.the chain had smashed through the ducktail missing the seat by an inch,therefore my ar$e,chewed huge gouges out of the swingarm and stripped half the teeth of the rear sprocket.oh,and i found boot marks on top of the tank.then theres the time i hit a wombat at 120.......

14. Originally posted in a top speed thread on another (non-riding) forum, so had to explain some of the jargon.

Re: Top 'speed' done and where?
    A bit over 180km/h on a 1981' Suzuki GS650 Katana

Apparently it was originally capable of 200km/h, which was my goal. It was still pulling hard at 170km/h when a horrifying weave developed. The bars flapping from side to side rapidly and uncontrollably, and the rear of the bike swinging from side to side, stepping out half a meter at a time. Known as a tankslapper among riders. The terror of a tankslapper can not be expressed in words.

I hoped the handling might fix itself at a higher speed, but it only got worse as I got faster. It seemed certain I was going to highside (where you get thrown from the saddle and land in a sickening crunch, as opposed to lowside, where the bike relatively gently slides out from under you).

This was 3am on the Sydney to Newcastle freeway, totally deserted. I imagined myself lying crippled or dying by the side of the road, waiting in the dark for someone to find me, unable to move with my bike smashed to bits.

I drifted across three lanes and eventually managed to slow. I was extremely shaken by this and began to laugh histerically.

15. My worst near death experience? From my copious 9 months riding experience I'll relate my first and hopefully only:

Dec 21st 2007, approx 9:13am. Cruising to work on my ZZR-250 along Parramatta Road. These are the facts I know to be true. What comes next is purely from the police report as I have no memory of that day (or much of the few days following really).

At the corner of Harris Rd and Parramatta Rd, dump truck + dog trailer is stopped at the lights in the middle lane. Front of truck is just into left hand lane but apparently far enough such that cars are backed up behind truck in both far left (gutter) and middle lane.

Lights go green. Semi begins his turn into Harris. Dump-truck goes fully into Harris Rd leaving dog trailer still turning. At this point I come down gutter lane and notice truck blocking my way. Hard on the brakes. I come off and fall under trailer. Back set of wheels (one or two axles, this is not clear) run over my head and chest. Bike does not go under truck. Que ambos + police + a fast ride to RPA hospital + 6 or 8 hrs surgery (first op) and 2 weeks in ICU before landing in a general ward.

Those are the facts. There are unfortunately several issues with them:

1. At least one witness claimed I was lane splitting. This is physically impossible on Parramatta road (you can change lanes but cannot split, there's simply no room.) Several friends who ride have seen the stretch of road in question and concur.
    2. Police mentioned someone moved my bike prior to them arriving.
    3. At least one witness claimed (and police report thus states) I attempted to turn left into Harris and clipped side of truck which was halfway into making same turn; i.e. I attempted to turn under the truck into the same road.
    4. At least one witness claimed cars waiting behind truck in both middle and gutter lane. How did I get past them at all, let alone at sufficient speed to fail to stop before going under the semi?

Of the above points, #1 is impossible. #2 affects the crash scene investigation (which apparently went for something like 9 hours). #3 is suicidal, not to mention the fact that I have no reason to go down Harris Rd (I take City Westlink a click or two down the road). #4 points to witnesses being wrong (again). Unfortunately I have absolutely no memory of the incident and thus must make do with theorizing.

As to what I think happened:

Scenario: Truck turning into Harris as per above. For some reason I do not see my lane is blocked (there are _huge_ amounts of vision at this stretch of road, you can see the intersection from approx 600 - 800 meters away). I fail to notice stopped traffic at lights (possible but unlikely) and by the time I notice it's been green for only three or four seconds. I hit the brakes. Two seconds go by and at the last moment back wheel locks up and steps out to the right (explains cagers claiming I attempted to turn left into Harris). Released back brake and performed a low-speed highside onto my right side, sliding a meter or three and under the middle of dog trailer which proceeds to roll over me. I almost certainly had my initial impact to the right (broken fingers and cut on elbow to prove it). Alternatively instead of highside I attempted to squeeze the last meter or two of stopping space by heading to left side of lane and/or turning left as hard as possible to attempt the corner and thus miss truck.

This still does not explain how I could possibly have gotten past the stopped cars in my lane which were apparently behind the truck waiting for it to turn. Assuming the witness is wrong and there were no cars in my lane, it doesn't explain how a truck stopped in middle lane at peak hour on Parramatta road, doesn't have cars stopped either side of it (There's simply too many cars on the road at that time of day, especially given the 60 or 90 seconds of wait time at the lights, for there not to be traffic stopped behind the truck in middle and left lane).

Scenario 2: Truck merged into me (or my lane at least) in preparation for the turn (so he can claim both lanes). This coincides with how I normally see semi's conduct left hand turns (i.e. back of truck in left lane, front in middle lane and hook around - NOT the other way around). It also explains how I utterly failed to avoid the accident given the visual distance available at that intersection. Furthermore it explains the bent forks if I went far left to avoid and hit the gutter as part of the initial "omgwtfLEFTLEFTLEFT" reaction). Hit gutter, fall right and under dog trailer, close to intersection.

I believe scneario 2 fits more than scenario 1 but given the witness statments (which I have not seen but which the police report is based on) and given my own lack of memory there's no way to substantiate it.

My insurance company sent me a copy of the police report. I called the constable who conducted the investigation and who both my family and I had been dealing with post incident. He agreed that it seemed unlikely and that the scenarios we discussed were certainly possible, but ultimately he can only write what the witnesses say.

Negatives from the experience? In no particular order:
    • Fractured base of skull
    • Subdural haematoma
    • 14 broken ribs
    • 2 punctured lungs
    • Ripped all right-side abdominal muscles off illiac crest (hip bone)
    • Herniated internal organs (organs in the wrong place, some poking out but thankfully not through skin).
    • Torn liver
    • Fractured transverse process' L2 through L4 (broken back; this hurt and was the only pain I remember feeling when the RPA Accident and Emergency staff asked me what hurt. On the positive side I did know why I was there so I wasn't completely f*$ked)
    • Broken neck
    • LeForte I and II fractures. Basically a whole bunch of breaks in my cheakbones and around the nose.
    • Anterior dislocated disc without reduction: my jaw joint was stuffed and I couldn't open my mouth more than about 1cm. Not sure whether this was caused by the accident or by facial surgery one week after.
    • 2x broken fingers in right hand.
    • Issues with my right elbow (missing about 5% of movement at this time)
    • I'm now the proud owner of two titanium plates and several screws which were placed to reinforce both cheeks.
    • Lots of rather large scars on chest and stomach.
    Positives?

• I quit smoking (morphine is a wonderful thing)
    • I'm positively paranoid on a bike now (which unfortunately leads to having very little enjoyment on the bike at this stage but hopefully this will change)
    • I managed to get a date with one of my nurses at RPA :wink:

At this point I'm about 90-95% of "day to day" normal and about 65-70% of "max capability" normal. Docs think I'll come very close to 100% and I think so too.

Pics of the gear (including my poor, utterly destroyed Shoei) can be seen from link in sig.

16. ^^^

You win this thread sir. My god, you're one tough bastard. Stories like yours put the fear of riding in me.

17. Holy snapping ducksh!t batman!!
    and your riding again?thats brave dude.props!

18. This is shaping up to be one spectacular thread. Cheers to all the guys who posted before me. Great to have you with us, alive and well, with stories to tell.

My 'near death experiences' haven't been too impressive so far as I appear to have been behaving myself rather well on the motorbike.

A woman pulled out right in front (no more than 4-5 metres away) of me doing a U-turn from the far left lane, causing me to hit the brakes real hard and put the bike on the side in a poorly executed attempt to avoid the collision. Bike written off, valuable lesson learned (actually two: some drivers are blind idiots, and I really should practise emergency braking).

Another time I was sitting in the far right lane at the lights (green at the time) waiting for the traffic going in the opposite direction to clear the intersection so that I could turn right. Suddenly, there's loud braking noise coming from behind, and this chick pulls up next to me, missing my left mirror by centimetres. She was very apologetic (and hot), so I just mumbled something like "it's okay, just be careful next time" and went about my day, although I would shake for a good few hours after that. Damn I should've asked her out :)

19. fark zeddicus, we are lucky that you are still with us. and farkin goodonya for getting back in the saddle so quick.

ive had a few hairy moments, but the stand out one was smashing into a concrete wall at 50 km/h. at the time i was very uncertain about me living assupose to being sure of certin death. i was very suprised when i simply bounced off it, and was still concious. only injury worth mentioning was a fractured metatarsal

20. you are one tough fcuker for surviving that, and still hopping on a bike. full credit to you!

however.....
    you'll do well to remember this Donotovertake-squaresignwhite.
    no point being first to the corner, and dead.

[​IMG]