Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is wrong with riding in the rain?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by PranK, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Besides safety concerns, whats the big deal? I see so many ad's for bikes where people state 'never ridden in the rain' .. Makes me think that there is a mechanical reason for not riding in the rain... Is there?

2. Maybe they just want everyone to know they are softcocks :)

3. A bike ridden in the rain has the habit of getting dirty in hard to reach places. So the trick is to buy a clean one and dishevel it with your own riding road grime.

4. Rust. Dirt. That unloved feeling :wink:

5. Maybe thats it. :)

Is that really it? While I can see that as being a selling point on some collectors bike or cool old vintage thing, its hardly a big deal for a daily rider, surely?

6. I get the feeling the bike would feel unloved if you *didnt* ride it in the rain. :)

7. Moving parts that are dirty are more prone to wear. Things like suspension are a biatch to clean. Some people like to keep their bikes looking pretty. Other like to ride them. Some have the time for both.

8. :shock:
    :LOL:

I guess the more exposed to all elements, the more likely to look less than pristine. Then .. do you buy a bike to just admire? I prefer to ride mine, although I will admit I like to keep her relatively clean, especially when the two of us are alone in the garage right after I've washed her down ...
    ... but that's another story :oops:

9. It's actually an underground dating thing.

"Never ridden in the rain" lets viewers of the ad know that the seller is a flaming homosexual and interested in some action apart from just flogging a bike.

10. Love riding in the rain, especially with my new PR2s. It's even better if you can crack a vent open without getting too much water inside the helmet, the fresh air, the smell of hot bitumen and that unseen bloated corpse of a roo :sick: :LOL:

11. Why some ads say: “ Never ridden in rainâ€.

Well it’s kinda sounds like the bike is only used is ‘ideal conditions’ & it’s also difficult to disprove.
    Scored brakes disks & notchy steering bearings (before time) might be some side effects to lots of mud/rain riding.

Always check a bike out though. Red flag for me is a bike with 20,000kms & brand spanking panels etc.

Like the comment ‘never crashed’ makes me look extra hard for crash damage ( on the frame & difficult to spot places that don’t get replaced in a crash repair) because most crash reapirs involves replacement parts (brand new) & a lot of sellers reckon you can’t tell that the bike ever went down.

12. I ride rain or shine, and in canberra, rain clouds usually follow me.

Fogging visors are about the most irritating thing.

13. What Bonk said :LOL:

14. nothing sexier than suds dripping down the curves of a tank ;)
    people tend to judge me when i say that, until i show them the wedding photos of us out in international waters on that boat we hired. then they usually go silent, which i interpret as acceptance and probably just a little bit of marital jealousy.

in all seriousness, rain-dodgers need to harden the fcuk up. sure, due care must be taken in the wet, but like all other aspects of life, it's important to focus on the positive.
    i believe police LIDAR is useless in the rain ;)

15. haha, i just sold a bike last week and the guy looking at it asked 'has it been ridden in the rain', i said of course mate, why wouldn't i ride in the rain? he didn't really have any response and bought the bike anyway.

16. [quote="loki]nothing sexier than suds dripping down the curves of a tank ;)
    people tend to judge me when i say that, until i show them the wedding photos of us out in international waters on that boat we hired. then they usually go silent, which i interpret as acceptance and probably just a little bit of marital jealousy.

in all seriousness, rain-dodgers need to harden the fcuk up. sure, due care must be taken in the wet, but like all other aspects of life, it's important to focus on the positive.
    i believe police LIDAR is useless in the rain ;)[/quote]

LMAO
    sometimes you don't get a choice about riding in the rain... unless you can fit an umbrella on the bike

17. Id prefer to buy a bike never ridden in the rain, so it would last longer when i did.

As someone mentioned rain is dirty, it gets in to small places hard to clean out and increases the rate of ware. So i want the bike to last as long as possible and one that has stayed out of the weather is going to be a better choice.

So im happy knowing there are people that keep their bikes out of the rain . :)

18. Maybe they just want everyone to know they are softcocks :)[/quote]

I'll second that :grin:

19. who wants to hear of my plans for MotoGP DOMINATION?
    (it involves a learner bike limited to 154km/h and a SuperSoaker sponsership deal ;) )

20. Personally, I dont mind riding when it is constant rain - actually like it. What I dont like is those days where its dry and wet through the day - hard to keep a rythm.

Anyway, some reasons why people dont like riding in the rain - in no particular order:
    Can be dangerous
    Everything is dirty
    Getting wet and cold - expecially in winter
    Visors fogging
    Wet down the middle of your back
    wet crotch
    Exposed wires on slightly older bikes can be a concern
    tyres dont work as well :LOL:

Apart from that. Riding in the rain is fun. :)