Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is this cable and why won't it go back on?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Genetical, May 11, 2008.

1. Sorry folks, my mechanical knowledge is pretty shocking so I don't know whether or not this is a stupid question and easy thing to fix...

I just got home from a 35 min ride and as I went to garage the bike I noticed a cable dangling out the front of my bike.

I runs from the rev guage to the engine.

aV28l70J.

aV28ljur.

aV28lysi.

aV28lZTS.

I was hoping someone could tell me what it is, and more importantly, how to get it back on! I have tried lining up the groove in the end of the loose cable with the flat pin inside the hole from where the cable came, but then outer part of the cable, which obviously is meant to screw into the hole in the engine, doesn't reach. The closest I can get the thread is this:

aV28mqkr.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

2. It's the drive to the tachometer (rev counter).

You need to align the 'spade male' section of the cable with the 'spade female' section in the tacho housing. You'll find then that it will push in far enough for you to be able to tighten up the outer knurled nut.

3. +1, yep tacho cable, usualy screws right in.

4. Thanks for that.

You were totally right (of course), it screwed on just fine once I eventually realised that by pulling out the internal cable so as to line it up with the flat pin, I was stopping the cable from then fully receding back into the cable tube/cover/hose, hence the threads never meeting up.

All fixed now.

Thanks very much.

5. Please don't call a tachometer a "rev gauge".

6. He didnt... he called it a "Rev Counter"

7. Thanx :wink:.

8. And while we're being pedantic, why is a tachometer called a tachometer? A speedometer is obvious but a tacho............

9. Hornet called it a counter (I wonder what it's up too now?)

Genetical called it a gauge.

And shouldn't a speedometer be called a velocityometer?

10. the tachometer was called a rev counter long before it was called a tachometer

and anyway, how suddenly is someone the arbiter of correct terminology, on an internet forum, for God's sake :roll:???

The object of the post was to seek advice; the advice was given, it WAS correct and the problem is solved

the rest is just wind-baggery......

11. Ibast, you piqued my curiousity.

Definition and some background on the word "tachometer" can be found here: http://www.answers.com/topic/tachometer?cat=technology

Interestingly the tach part comes from the greek tachos which apparently means speed...

So perhaps "rev gauge" might actually be a better term afterall?? :-k

Dunno.

Meh!

12. Settle mate. With my piss-poor typing, I can hardly hold my head high. I was taking the piss all round.

13. Whilst we are at it shouldn't milage now be kilometerage?

14. Really? I thought Tacho meant time on the toilet.

15. Only if it also showed your current vector of travel. ;)

16. Thanks Rob :wink:

17. :LOL: As my dad used to say, if we're going to go metric, we're going every inch of the way!!

On a similar vein, though, isn't lawn bowls still all measured in feet and yards, despite metrication??

18. Yeah and lets not talk about wheels and tyres. Metric, imperial and % all together :LOL:

threadjacked.

19. meh, the thread, as I remarked earlier, has served its purpose, what's a bit of thread-jacking between friends now??

20. Agree. Was more for the OP