Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is it that you like about Supermoto-why did you get into it?

Discussion in 'Supermoto' started by Takamii, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Personally I like the idea of being a bike that can handle the asphalt as well as the dirt.

A supermoto gives me two bikes in one

In street form with the right gearing they can get up and really go and keep up with the superbikes in the twisties (with a skilled rider of course)

- long straights however are a different story and the supermotos loose out there - but other than highways where are the long uninterrupted straights in most cities ?.

Plus they are relatively cheap to modify and customise as well as being a lot easier to work on yourself for servicing etc hence teaching you some more skills as well as saving a few dollars.

Another great aspect is that a sportsbike if you put it down you are looking at some big $$ for fairing repairs etc whereas with a supermoto plastics are cheap
  2. Serious question.

Would you give up your R1 for it though?

Ignoring any other factors like it is used to advertise my lights etc, purely based on riding pleasure etc.
  3. I have found myself not even looking at the R1 any more to be honest

It just sits in the corner of the garage and I have not even started it for two months

If I was riding in sydney or melbourne or a congested city I would not own the R1 - the motard I believe is much better for those conditions

However as I am in Canberra its not crowded so the R1 is okay here as it can have the legs stretched

tough call to be honest - as I am a recreational rider rather than using it for transport and I am basing my answers on that fact

I found my friends Harley was nicer to ride in Sydney Traffic than the R1

In saying all this I am having more fun with the motard than I have had with the R1 because with the motard due to its low initial cost and repair costs I am happy to really lean it over big time as well as do things like learn to drift etc -- perhaps because my skills as a rider are better suited to an upright supermoto way than knee down sports bike way is why I am enjoying it more.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Good to hear you're enjoying the S'moto Tak! :)

I agree with ya, 1000cc sports bikes are largely a waste on the road.

I quite enjoyed riding a 250 around, keep the thing pegged everywhere, a flurry of gear changes to keep it on the boil and in the twisties you can take the less experienced on bigger bikes quite easily.

I'd love a S'Moto I really would. It appeals to the stunter in me and I know I'd be *riding* on dangerous ground with my licence, I can see it being destroyed very quickly LOL

I love tarmac and dirt so it's an excellent crossover, I just wish there was specific motard tracks available, a mix of tar and dirt WITH jumps etc, rather than laps of Wakyfield.

Biggest thing that attracts me to motards is the leverage over the bars allowing mad drifting... :D
  5. I'm interested to know from owners of factory spec motards whether they think their bikes are really capable on dirt. Not just adequate, but genuinely good. Of course there is a compromise but I've got the impression that the industry has moved the class over toward bitumen ability.
    It's easy enough for home builders to choose their spec but it seems to me that the manufacturers aren't as interested in the crossover characteristics any more. Comment?
  6. agreed because the for example fork size and suspension set up is for the asphalt from the factories
  7. This is how I feel as well so you have helped me answer the question

I zipped past a gsxr on saturday on the monaro highway off ramp on to hindmarsh drive ( left turn ) about a 75 degree corner like the gsxr was parked - had the bike leaned all the way left and back wheel sliding out

the gsxr came past me later and gave me a thumbs up

fairburn has the sm track I think - where it meets up dirt with the go kart track
    your 310 would make a great s'moto
  8. I've got one of the 'big' factory supermotos - a Dorsoduro 750. Ok so its not a 'real' supermoto in the true sense but close enough. In terms of dirt ability, really the only advantage it has over any naked bike is extra ground clearance. The biggest limiting factor - and this goes for 'real' supermotos too - is the 17" wheels. There are just no proper dirt tyres available for them. You can get supermoto tyres, but not in a 180 rear which is what my bike takes, and even if I could get them on there I don't think they would last too long on the road.

I've got a set of dual sports on my dorso now, which basically just look like wet weather racing tyres, and its ok offroad, but you still wouldn't want to do much more than gravel roads on it. The smaller motards might be a bit better offroad being much lighter, but I would think they're still going to be limited by their road tyres and suspension. Mind you I haven't ridden one so I wouldn't know for sure.

The reason I started looking at supermotos was after seeing a bloke on a KTM 990 supermoto carving up the city and thinking - "wow that looks like a shitload of fun". Couldn't find a secondhand 990 anywhere and KTM had stopped making them so I looked at the Hypermotard and the Dorso and settled on the Dorso. It sounds counter-intuitive, but they are just so practical as an all round bike - great for commuting, perfect for splitting traffic, hopping up kerbs, etc. Its great in the twisties and will easily keep up with any <1000cc sport bike given riders of roughly equal ability. I can hit gravel roads on it and if I really need to can tour on it, although the small tank is not ideal.

The biggest problem with owning a supermoto? They make you do bad things......like getting 5 speeding tickets in 11 months :cry: (compared to 1 in 5 years before that).
  9. Same boat as you MH (950SM here) What tyres you running? I gave up on the Scorpion Syncs because I felt they were not significantly better on dirt that sport tyres, but noticeably worse on tar.
    (Syncs are superseded by Scorpion Trails I think)

Still making 990R for Europe but KTM Aus have dropped it. Dorso is very good value.

Oh yes, even if they aren't 'real' tards.
  10. Nice, I really like the KTM's. It says something that I couldn't find a single second hand 990SM for sale anywhere in Victoria when I was looking. Obviously people are hanging onto them.

I'm running Dunlop D616's at the moment and I'm surprised at how good they are on the road. The OEM tyres on the dorso were Pirelli Rosso 3's which were great in the dry but terrible in the wet and obviously hopeless on gravel. The 616's have a wider profile so they turn in slower, but are very stable. It took a bit of getting used to but once I figured out how to ride with them I reckon I can carry just as much corner speed as I could with the Rosso 3's. They go ok on gravel roads - better than sport tyres - but still not brilliant. They are the BEST wet road tyres I have ever used by a mile, which is handy when you commute in Melbourne in winter and are riding on wet roads with cold tyres reguarly.

I considered the Scorpion Trails too, but couldn't find a 180 rear for the life of me. They must be available though, because I think they are standard on the Duc Multistrada, or at least they were at one stage. There's a review somewhere comparing the D616 to the Scorpion Trails on Multistradas.....I think the Dunlops were rated better on dirt and the Pirellis were meant to be better on the road. However, they mentioned that the Dunlops felt really skittish on tarmac, and I've gotta say I think they are completely the opposite. Maybe they are sensitive to which bike they are put on??

The dunlops were super cheap too.....$350 odd fitted. But from reports I've read you don't get great mileage out of them which is surprising cause the tread is so deep. They must be a soft compound or something.
  11. I love tards......nearly bought one myself just recently....
    For me the only limiting factor is their short range......12L is too restrictive for the riding I do.
    I got a Shiver instead :demon:

Mind you I am talking a Tard here......not an SM....BIG difference....

A mate of mine just sold his '09R1 for a Ducait Tard - he has ridden the Tard more in the last 2 months than he did the R1 in 2 years......
  12. Either way, I don't own one and cannot comment but when you say "factory spec motard" do you mean something like the Hypermotard or the full on race motards like this: http://www.ktm.com/supermoto/450-smr/highlights.html#.UACxrvW8DU0
  13. What do you mean? Motard, Supermoto and Supermotard are all derived from the same thing.
  14. I could be barking up the wrong tree here.......

For me a SuperMoto is:
    Single cylinder
    Very light
    Big compression
    A proper dirt bike "converted" for road
    High maintenance

For me a Motard is:
    Factory built as a road going SM
    Twin cylinder
    Not as light
    More akin with road bikes in terms of maintenance.
    Still tonnes of fun.....

Thus, the machine you linked is an SM not a TARD (by this definition should you choose to accept it)
  15. hypermotard as generally big capacity bikes
  16. I'm not pretending I know 100% either. My understanding is that the sport started off in the USA as "Superbikers", got big in France and they called it Supermotard (motard = rider/biker?). Then when it started to get big in the USA again it was called Supermoto.
  17. Interesting......I actually thought the origins were Japanese....???

+1.....I'm not an aficionado.....just an interested participant :D

Also +1 Tak......for me - Tards are a larger capacity (usually twin) bike.....heavier and with more "road bike toys" such as the Dorsoduro750 & 1200, Duc Hypermotard 796(803) & 1100 as well as the Husqvarna Nuda 900.............

Incidentally....all of which I have personally ridden - again....very close to buying one (except for the tank size)

EDIT: I stand corrected - +1 Deadsy....the Seppos invented it
  18. I've heard that the super motos are a bundle of fun... I'm starting to lean towards getting one when I upgrade to my unrestricted - rather than a supersport or sports touring as I had been thinking...

Is there any aftermarket mods for tanks?
  19. Provided you are talking about the real ones, most supermotos are LAMS approved and you can get bigger tanks that hold a few more litres.
  20. Sumo's are mad. nuff said.

Those tard's people are mentioning the doso, shiver, hyper etc are factories trying to build a more road oriented bike. A supermoto is like the Huksy race ones, SMR630, KTM 450 SMR etc, they are race bikes that happened to get road legality XD

They are all sick though! not sure on what I want, don't get me wrong I can't wait to sumo my WR450F and ride it on the road but I can't see myself doing it for ages, naked is the way to go for me, super sports have to much of an agressive riding position and tourers just don't give me that shiver like the sumo's, naked's and the 1000cc sport bikes.

Out of those three the one that will get you the most tickets? sumo. they make you want to bad things, they tempt you :p 1000's on the road are a waste in Australia unless riding twisties but for commuting are silly, the naked are mad as well but the sumo's are where it's at :)

I don't even care about the tank size aye, its still cheaper than a car. You'll get about what 30KM/L for a sumo ridden properly?

Can't wait !!!