Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is it that Buell does, that HD doesn't?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Fa1c0n, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Everyone says that HD's are slow. But the Buell I saw at the lights today begs to differ...

My question for you is, if it is the same/similar engine, why is it that Buell's can get up and boogie but HD's require a lot of work to make them fast?
    What is Buell doing differently?
    What is different between the Buell 1200 and my HD 1200?

Maybe I should get a Buell...

Also - why did Buell shut down?

• Like Like x 1
  2. It might have been the 1125 without the harley engine. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. After a quick google images search it was a buell firebolt.

He even did a huge mono :p

4. Simple tuning, I'm guessing, Probably higher compression, careful management of ignition timing, tuned gas flow (both inlet and exhaust), bigger valves and (much) less weight to carry.
    The greater stress on the engine also may have led to their unfortunate record of reliability. Lots of HD owners have tuning work done, with some fairly big gains in power and predictable results out on the road.

5. Hmmm.... If I can get my breaks upgraded at my next service, I might tune my HD before I throw it away.... I'm pretty concerned at how it doesn't stop though....

6. Doesn't go, doesn't stop, 8 litre tank. No offense, but exactly why did you buy it?

7. The usual reason. It gets him laid. :LOL:

8. I goes - just want it to go more. :p
    No - it doesn't stop.
    8 Litre tank is sexy as fcuk.

Every time I ride it I remember why I wanted it, but then I forget when I get off it. :p
    I it a lot of fun to ride and so long as no ****s pull out infront of me I won't need the brakes. I'm just concerned for that day I do need the brakes...

9. Also, with my tank lift its like a 5-6 litre tank bro.

10. Just flick it.....oh never mind

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. If you can find the film of Eric Buell's announcement that he was shutting the company down, I think you'll read between the same lines as me; Harley didn't like him using their engines to make better bikes than they could, or would.....

12. BAHAHAH

Yeah that sounds about right. fcuking Harley Davidson....

13. When Cycle Magazine in the States tested the XLCR Café Racer back in the seventies, their comment on the front brake was something like "If you could pull the lever in, then it wouldn't matter if someone came in front of you because you'd be strong enough just to swat it out of your way with your bare hand...."

14. LOL!

See the problem with my brakes are they don't really start to do anything till the brake is crushing my 2 fingers on the throttle.
    Makes for covering the brakes in traffic hard...

15. Eric Buell, forethought & desire to make great cutting edge sportsbikes.

16. Weight and state of tune is where your answer lies.

I have ridden a Dyna Glide Sport that was quite simply fantastic. Not only did it have a crap tonne of power (For a HD 110hp is a crap tonne), it also handled supremely well. But it'd had the better part of $10,000 spent on it.

There is a lot of 'performance' locked up in Harley engines, unfortunately it costs a lot of money to unlock it.

Buell's have their own issues with reliability. I've only spoken to a few long term owners who have had no (or few) issues.

They are fun, but don't expect to tour on them. They have a 14lt tank which is the frame. The swing arm is where the oil lives.

Buell closed because by that stage it was owned by HD and during the GFC Harley cut and slashed products that it didn't consider necessary for it's survival.

17. Get some brembo's and braided lines. Thank me later.

18. 1. Yeah, I plan on it. The brembos anyway.
    2. What exactly are braided lines and why are they better?

19. #20 b12mick, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Braided lines are made from a braided steel mesh and don't flex like the rubber lines on most bikes, Because of this they provide stronger 'feel' to the brakes (though not always noticeable).

In honesty most modern street bikes don't really need them. Personally I would only consider replacing the standard lines with braided if the standard ones need replacing anyway.

My wife's old M750 had braided lines and riding it back to back with an M750 with standard lines the difference was quite noticeable. However, her SV650 also as braided lines and quite frankly it's hard to notice any difference.

The other thing with braided lines is you can get coloured ones to 'dress up' your bike.

here http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-brake-lines-for-harley-davidson-xl1200-x-48-2010-2011.html