ok, if this was on an RC car, id know it is a heat sink, but its not so i dont have the faintest idea what it is or what its for. i dont even know what its called so i cant even help myself on this one. anyway, a little back ground: a few weeks ago, i went to start the bike and the battery was flat. unusal, even for 2 weeks but didnt think much of it. jump started the bike off the Fairlane (which also had a flat battery) and as soon as i took the jumper leads off, the bike would stall. definately time to put the battery on the charger - very unusal. so, after a couple of minutes with the bike running, getting its power from the fairlane, i can smell the dreaded burning electronics smell. pop the side cover, restart the bike and its smoke season. smoke pouring out of this thing. stop the bike and the smoke stops. the fuse isnt blown either. now, youll notice in one of the pics that im pointing at a plug on the bottom of it. if i unplug this, it doesnt smoke. everything still works (lights, blinkers - everything). so, what the hell have i done? why did it do it in the first place? what is 'it'/purpose of 'it' and what do i need to do to fix it?