Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is it about BMW's....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nearlyempty, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ... that some people seem compelled to overtake you :?
    (I suppose that HD riders suffer a similar fate)

I wouldn't mind if they were faster riders, but when they then slow you down through the corners, it does get a little frustrating.

Just a Monday, oops, TUESDAY winge...
  2. Most BMW riders reading this will be saying to themselves, "Well, it's because they are jealous of the fact that I am riding a better bike than them.

Most non-BMW riders will be thinking, "There goes another BMW rider continuing with the patronising, condescending attitude that BMW riders have towards everyone on the road except BMW riders."

In 30+ years of riding I have found BMW riders the least friendly, the least likely to stop at chat at a fuel stop and the least likely to wave or nod on the highway.

I have quite a few friends who own BMW's and they are lovely people. But something funny happens to them when they get on the bike and start riding. Something seems to seep through the handlebars and change their attitude. Very strange.
  3. You're a charmer aren't you :D . Full of the joys of, er Winter :?

This is just something that I've noticed since getting the BM. It never happened on the Jap bikes I have owned. The BM seems to have become ... well, an obstacle. Must be the tractor engine :)

Maybe I should just get more aggressive, not stand for it and take 'em back :twisted:

Or buy a Duke & sit at coffee shops all day drinking latte's :D
  4. Oh, and you're only jealous because my bike's better than your bike...
  5. Latte's are for wimps. Plus I prefer to have the Duke on the road and annoying car drivers. Mind you I do not mind finding a nice coffee shop when I am out riding.
  6. Yeah, I remember the advertising slogan:

"There are actually 2 kinds of people in this world. Those who dream of riding the K1, and those who know absolutely nothing about motorcycles"
  7. BMW riders eat sausages.
  8. Sausages are yum! Especially brat wurst, mmmmmmmm brat wurst =P~

There is nothing wrong with BMWs, slow old people like to ride too :LOL: .
  9. No, you don't need to buy a Duke, heavens, then you'll get even MORE of a superiority complex!
  10. You are one of those little people aren't you?

Yes, I have encountered people like you. As I say to Marge, ".. it pains me that they have to live such poor, miserable lives, but we must do what we can to help them."

"You little fellow, yes you. Here, cheer yourself up & fill the bike with petrol, there's a good fellow."

"Marge, look at how happy he is, tending to Bertha. Did you bring the sausages? And soem Bratworst I think. Warm tea? Mmmmm, I'm in heaven."

See, we BMW riders are not without charity.

Go on, be nice :)
  11. I'm just going to have a wild stab in the dark here, but would it happen to be riders of the latest Litre & 600 sports bikes that seem to be the best/worst offenders?
  12. Maybe I used to do it on the Gixxer :LOL:

Perhaps we should have a 'Bag-a-tractor' week.

Anyhow, I'm over it :D ... or am I :x
    Time to get even :twisted: ... or is it :?:

God I'm confused.
  13. When I bought the beemer, I asked the mechanic if the particular model was a good one.

He said "There are two types of bikes, Beemers, and the ones in the garage being repaired". :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I bought it.

I acknowledge all rider, even hd riders, after all we are all bike riders.
    8) 8)

And they are not tractor engines, they are aeroplane engines, that's why they fly. :p :p :p

14. Thought better of my post. Will make it a PM instead.
  15. I am old, I move in slow motion, I am turning grey (body and hair), my joints creak, my 'laughter lines' are taking over my face (& body), I am forgetful, I am old. I am now trying desperately to develop a paunch to rest my german beer.

Sausages are brilliant. Pork, roasted in the oven so that they are brown and crispy on the outside. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  16. retarded water pump, not that i have a problem with them
  17. I would be interested an honest appraisal by yourself of the R1100S N.Empty.
    Of the entire range, the 1100S and the more recent 1200GS are the only two bikes that I have given a second look, so to get the opinion from someone who owns one would be appreciated.
    +'s and -'s and comparisons with what you have been accustomed to in the past.
    Only if and when you have some time, thanks.
  18. You're on your own there buddy

You just gotta learn to ride yours better.
  19. *looks at what this teenager is riding*
    aha yep you know what you are talking about.
    NOT :evil:
  20. I have owned mine now since 2001.
    Well balanced bike tyhat uses the torque curve very well.
    Seems like Nearly Empty is riding his like a 4 cyl bike and not a big twin.
    You can just sit on third all day in the hills and ride the tits off it.
    Pegs are setback a fair way so you barely scrape anything and get decent corner clearance.
    Suspension is forgiving especially if you stuff up like I did once last year and had to overcorrect a corner I went into when I locked both front and rear tyres. On any other bike I would have been flung off.
    It's not the fastest bike off the line but still does the 1/4 in 11 seconds and 0-100 in less than 4 secs. Similar figures to most sport tourers like the vfr's and triumph st's but more comfortable.
    In terms of weight they are 220 kg wet which is similar to the vfr 800
    Putting a set of staintunes on it has made a great difference in the way it sounds and in the higher revs as it releases a few horses.
    As for bmw riders not being friendly I find that hard to believe. but then in a forum full of teenagers they think all of us old farts are grumps:)