Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is considered low km's?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by sapperpie, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HI guys,

What is considered low kms in regards to a motorcycle?

I am in the market for my first bike - Suzuki DR650. I've noticed most of the bikes within my budget (4-5k) usually have around 20-30, 000km! Should I save my pennies and try go for something with lower kms?

Cheers!

(ps, I am aware it is more than low kms when evaluating a bike, I guess I am just trying to find a starting point!)

2. When I'm in the market and looking for a second hand vehicle I look for the latest model with the lowest km's and/or the most accessories within my budget.

3. Budget is always a factor, those kms arent many it its been looked after. A bike with 40000 that's been looked after is better than one with 15000 that has never been serviced, another suggestion is looking what a rebuild costs so if your going to clock up the kms and know what its going to cost for new pistons rings etc in X time then don't be too worried about kms. Good luck!

4. This. But as a rough guide for whether a bike's odometer is high vs low, I generally work on 10,000km a year on a bike and 15,000 to 20,000 a year on a car.

But 1600Nomad is right. It's more important that a bike has been properly maintained than how many km it has on it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ...and how close it is to the next major service...

6. One other thing to consider. How many k's are you going to be doing a year? If you are doing low k's then you can afford to get a bike with more k;s on it at a cheaper price as by the time you sell it will be an vaerage k bike. If you do a lot of k's you are better off looking for a low k bike.
    This of course should take into account what the guys have said allready re servicing etc.

7. As others have said, look at kms and servicing togeather.
    A bike with 21,000km that has just had a major service is a better choice then a 18,500km bike that's almost due (assuming cost is equal)

8. Thanks for the tips guys! :)

9. I would suggest it depends on the type of bike as well. Some tourers are quite happy to do 200,000 kms without an engine rebuild, but other bikes that are built a bit closer to the limit may find that 100,000 is enough for a new engine.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Other way around for me!!
    The cage had an oil change Jan '12!! Bike gets done at half the book intervals!!
    Washed the cage last oil change too! Bike gets done every week or two!!

Just soooooo over cars!! :)

11. +1 This......

Something like a DR with 30,000kms is going to be much more worn than a bike which was purpose built to cover distance......

12. 20,000 is barely run in unless it's something crazy like a supermoto in which case it's probably on it's third set of pistons. 24,000 is the big service, so make sure anything after that has had it done.

13. Dr650 is more about how hard life than kms i suspect.

One that has been commuted by road around the suburbs is probably better than one that has just come back from the gunbarrel highway.....

Having said that third gear is their weak spot, it is suspected to be fixed from 08 though iirc.

You should expect 80-100000 kms from a dr.

Mine had a hard life so had some issues at 35000

14. The KM I quoted have nothing to do with oil changes but rather average distance covered in a year. Sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule of thumb I've found it pretty accurate.

15. it depends if you're looking at a BMW tourer or an RS125 2 stroke... low k's is relative.

16. True. Although an RS125 2 stroke is cheaper to rebuild than an R1200RT.

17. Maybe not? You'd probably be on your third or fourth rebuild of a RS125 2 stroke for the same mileage when the R1200RT was ready for its first.

18. You could be right over the life of the bike. But then again, most RS125's aren't toured on and are unlikely to do the sort of KM's that an R1200RT is anyway.

19. An RT is pretty easy to rebuild as the pots are exposed and only two The new 6 cylinder beemer would be a lot harder.

20. Who said easier, I said cheaper.