Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is considered a minor service?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Cheeba, Mar 26, 2009.

1. N00b question - I'm going to do the minor service myself - is it just oil, plugs and filters? Cheers in advance.

2. Oil, filter, and a good check over things like cables, chain, coolant, bearings, brake fluid/pads, that sort of thing. Plugs are more of a major service item, but if you can get to them easily, go for it.
  3. Thanks Loz :)

Didn't think about the fluid levels
  4. Don't forget air filter condition, especially if you've been riding on dirt roads or whatever. This is usually an item not replaced for at least 5 to 10 thousand kay, however. I'd also give the tyres a check for tread and sidewall damage, and ensure they are at the proper pressures if you havent done this in the last week or two.

I wouldn't touch the plugs unless performance has dropped off, you're having trouble starting the bike, or responsiveness has done a runner. In my case, I'll budget on getting 40,000km out of a set of NGK's. I imagine that getting 10,000km out of a set in a bike wouldn't be unusual. When looking at the electrodes, you want a tan colour. Not black or oily, this means too rich a mixture. If its white you're running a lean mixture. Do a websearch for plug colours - or refer to user service manual which often has it.

Cheers - boingk
  5. More good advice, thank you boingk :)
  6. Sacrifice a cow to the motorcycling gods for safe and prosperous riding.

Check your blinkers (all four of them), high and low beam, and rear brake light (should be on when the bike is on and double intensity when you hit the rear brake with your foot) all work.

Check that your clutch action is nice and smooth and not creaky.

Consider removing all those crusty insects from your headlight and front forks. Then decide they add character, and move on.

Charge yourself $200 labour time and spend your earnings on bike mags, cigarettes and beer.
  7. in any vehicle, i use plain old copper plugs (cheap as feck and the benefits of those expensive thigns are debatable) and change them fairly often. Great way to keep a check on your engine health if you know how to read plugs. cheap insurance.
  8. Rock on speed_demon :LOL:

Cheers Cheeba, probably should have metioned in my original post that the 40,000km figure for plugs was in my car. Hence the lower figure for bikes as they are in a much higher state of tune. Essentially, use them until they don't work or you feel a new set is in order. Gapping them will make a difference to lifespan and running, the specified gapping should be in the service manual. Of not, use the standard gapping measurement for the type of plug you use.

Cheers - boingk
  9. "benefits of those expensive thigns are debatable"

I've got a set of those "expensive thigns "in my bike, been in for 40,000 kl, never been out and won't be coming out for at least anoher 10,000 kl,
    so they do have some benefits.
  10. Don't forget to replace the blinker fluid. :)

:LOL: always wanted to use that.
  11. dont forget to clean the ash tray and replace your aircon gas :grin:
  12. I ended up kicking the tyres, sucking on my teeth and telling myself it is likely to be a big job but for cash I could do it for a wee bit cheaper. Then realised I didn't even know where the bloody filters were so checked cables, lights, bolts etc and topped up the front brake reservoir ha ha! So much for amateur mechanics weekend ;)

I did hoover the back parcel shelf and replace the box of tissues though.