Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What is a Slipper Clutch?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PilotPete, Jun 27, 2009.

1. I did a search on the topic and found nothing!

I have a vague idea on what it is but i'm sure some of you guys will be able to help me out. This question came about while reading AMCN 600 AUSTEST and noticing that the CBR600RR is the only one of the 600's without a slipper clutch, why is this and what is a slipper clutch?

Thanks for any help
  2. Very handy with the high compression used these days,as you go down the gears braking into corners without some give in the drive you tend to lock up the rear end with engine braking,a slipper clutch allows some freeplay or give so you can avoid this rear locking,even partial locking,you might have notice the term backing it in,thats achieved smoothly with a slipper clutch,you can dial in more or less affect via weights.Really useful in Motad bikes to gain the max effect
  3. It is a new method of hanging on to one of these
  4. Basically, if you have ever shifted down prematurely and let the clutch out a little too fast, you will recall the bike strongly decelerating as the rear wheel slows and the engine speeds up to match each other. If this example is taken to the extreme, the wheel and engine speeds are so far apart that the force required to match the two exceeds the friction between the tyre and the road (this will almost always be the weakest link) and the rear wheel locks up.

Slipper clutches are set so that they slip before the tyre loses grip, thus leaving the tyre free to spin and the rider free to keep out of the ambulance. Note that slipper clutches work one way only; they will not limit torquefrom the engine to the wheel, just from the wheel to the engine.
  5. On the track (just to add).

If you need a slipper clutch on the street you shouldn't be riding that hard hehe. But I'd love one for the track where its constant higher rpm downshifts.
  6. [​IMG]

Squids wear 'em 'cos they're too stingy to buy proper boots :LOL:
  7. It's when you grab for her and she gets away!
  8. you two Hall blokes are shockers.
  9. i think i'll ignore the two mods but thanks to everyone else basically the same as what i thought it was.
  10. hey, don't get upset, mate, I know what a slipper clutch is too, I just like to have a bit of a chuckle every now and then. I wasn't ridiculing you or anything.....
  11. Pete, this is a pretty easy going forum. Sometimes you will get joke replies, actually alot of the time you will but also you normally get a useful reply.
  12. i know guys, i've been reading this forum for a few years now and am familiar with most of the mods. I know you didn't mean anything by it, either did i.
  13. I got all exited then, I thought the heading read Strippers Crutch!

I'd put my glasses on if I could just see where they are.
  14. Slipper clutches come about because the factories are trying to tap into the gay market.