Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What have you almost run over?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jessbolden, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Wouldn't mind hearing the weird stuff that you've either almost, or have, ridden over on your bike...

I was on my way to uni today and the Merc in front of me slowed down and I'm like WTF, so I slammed on the brakes, which was necessary even being 2 and a bit car spaces behind him, and then I realised as he sped up that he had tried to dodge this crazy green massive plastic piece... Now I haven't been riding for too long, but even I was impressed by the little swerve I enacted to barely miss this thing!

Swear words flooded my helmet... :facepalm:

• Like Like x 5
  2. I recall the time when the car in front of me braked for no apparent reason, no other vehicles around, no other roads to turn into, but didn't pull toward the edge of the road in order to stop. I soon realised the reason, moments before I was about to overtake, that it had slowed to allow mother duck and her ducklings to cross the road.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I hate pine cones! Big and round enough to mess you up!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Aw man that is so cute!!! I'd happily jam on my brakes for that!

• Like Like x 1
  5. here in qld... roos jumping out in front of me on my way to work!! haha have to be really cautious i must say ;) having to brake suddenly or very quick counter steering have been performed to avoid mishap

6. A little old lady in a Gemini when she ran a giveway sign. I tried to make it over her, but the little CBR250 wasn't quite up to it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I've narrowly avoided a flying number plate off the back of a bike I was following - doing 100 on the highway, in the wet and fading light. Fun little exercise swerving to avoid that...

Also narrowly avoided a mates thong (the left foot kind!!) as it fell out of his bag on a ride. That's it, so far...

• Like Like x 1
  8. A fast moving elderly Italian Gentleman when he popped out jack in a box style from behind a parked van.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. #9 twistngo, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Mainly animals. Dogs, kangaroos, wallabies, lyre brids, rabbits, rosellas, ducks, snakes. And a ventura bag from a bike in front when his rack broke.

and echidnas!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Several years ago, a plastic bollard in the middle of Westgate Freeway late one night, someone must have dropped it from the Point Cook Rd overpass. By the time I saw it i was past so it was sheer luck that I didn't hit it as it would have really ruined my day if I had.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's the same here where I live in central NSW although not regularly when I commute. I went out for what was to be an hour's ride before sunset on Sunday afternoon and got talking to a roadside fruit & vegetable stall-holder.

Before long the sun was setting and I continued on, riding across the Macquarie River as the temperature reached zero on the river flat. Pools of mist were rising in every hollow across the paddocks and road. I made several near-stops for mobs of kangaroos, a black wallaby standing sentinel at the verge, rabbits darting out, a fox slinking from the long grass and a barn owl that swooped between trees overhanging the road.

• Like Like x 3
  12. After an oncoming road train passed me years ago in the middle of the night ,way out West ,one wily fox who'd obviously been watching the truck made his dash across the highway as it passed him,propped in a big hurry when he saw me but not before knocking my foot off the right peg.....and a mob of galahs on the highway hit at speed (thankful I've always worn a full face helmet),when I pulled up some 100 km later one was wrapped around the header pipe of my R90s like a split chicken..it was quite barbecued.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sounds like a scene from England, except the kangaroos and wallaby of course. Well written!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I was following a mate driving his car when he drove over a square 2 foot peice of rubber that flicked up and like a ninja my hand came up and punched it out of the air. my gaming experience has finally paid off with quick reactions

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. I remember another occasion on a group ride, it was late spring a nice balmy day, I had my visor cracked partially open and was hit in the mouth by a Rosella. I was spitting green feathers for the next kilometre.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. A metal toolbox in the middle of the fast lane of a 110 zone. A big come to me Jesus moment because I wasn't looking far enough ahead and didn't see it in the shadows of the overpass

17. God I love reading all of these... Keep them coming!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Last week I was coming out of the M5 tunnel heading west when a construction helmet and a 3m aluminium ladder fell off the back of a truck.

The helmet bounced off the road then landed between my front wheel and the bitumen and rocketed into a car beside me. AND then rebounded straight back at me! Hitting me in the side of the leg!

The ladder...I run over all the rungs! And couldn't believe I was still upright! Went to the doctor later that day and had my bloody pressure read. It was up as you can imagine.

I think I'm really lucky cause my bikes so big and heavy. I didn't stop just looked back in my rear vision mirror. I did stop further up the road though and told a Highway Patrol copper what had happened and what was probably still on the road. I had a bit of a laugh about it later, but at the time, I fair sh*t myself!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Riding through Willow Grove yesterday and a staffie casually crosses the road right in front of me oblivious to my bike and the bike behind me. Wasn't happy.
    Should consider getting around with a chauffeur

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. On a group ride I was leading last Sunday a Buck Deer on the road down from the Eildon Dam wall to Thornton. It didn't seem to be in any hurry just sauntered across the road towards the water.

I did see it well ahead though, I thought it was cow or horse from a distance.

• Like Like x 2