Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What have they done to my bike??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by stagwa, Jun 29, 2008.

1. The carb was leaking fuel out of the bottom; it appears to be an “overflow†valve.
    I rang the local Kawasaki workshop who suggested brining the carb in to be serviced & have the float valve changed.

After a few days I get the “serviced†carb back & refit the carb to the bike. I take the bike for a test ride of about 4 kilometres to get home and have it just cut out. Several attempts to restart it, no go. At this point I notice that the oil level look a bit high but think it is because the bike in not on level ground.

An hour later the bike starts first kick and I decide to take it to the workshop in case they need to change any settings or tweak anything. I get there and the bike cuts out again. The young mechanic looks at it, turns a few screws on the carb, talks to the boss. The boss says “the valve clearances seem to be blocked, we need to take the head offâ€.

After a week they have done nothing to the bike. I go there to get it & the fuel tap has been in the on position for a week. All the fuel from the tank has “found†its way into the motor! The motor is now well over full with fluid that has the smell & consistency of fuel but is black like used oil!

What have they done? And how do I fix it?
  2. Out of curiosity, is leaving the fuel tap on bad? :? I've never heard to switch it off.
  3. You need to contact consumer affairs immediately, they have damaged your bike. They have filled th crankcase with fuel, after failing to fix teh carburettor the last time. You may have hydrolocked your engine because of this too.......
    I would also NOT accept any offers for them to fix teh bike, I would demand money back on previous repairs and take the bike elsewhere.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. What Andrew said about hydro locking, plus your carbs could overflow and stain your driveway.
  5. Thanks!

Didn't know that at all :shock: I thought when they said to check it was 'on' before starting the bike it was simply in case someone decided to play silly buggers.
  6. and what kind of mechanics knows the problem before he even looked at it? are you crazy dude?

even I.T people cant tell what problem u have on your computer until they ask you like 30 questions when the problem was that you didnt turn on the computer.

good luck and use legal actions, it might sound alot to do but it'll be worth it for your sake.
  7. Sounds a bit over the top to me. The shop has not laid a spanner on the bike at this stage.

Let's take it step by step.

1) The OP took a carb only in, after he found fuel leaking from it.

2) He refitted the carb to the bike after it was serviced by the shop.

3) He rode the bike and noticed that the oil level seemed high. It sounds very much like fuel has already leaked into the crankcase, before he ever got the bike to the shop.

4) At the shop they determined that there is some other problem as well as the fuel issue. - the have not laid a spanner on the bike as yet (well, maybe a screwdriver.)

5) OP returns and finds the crankcase overfull - bike has not yet been worked on.

"They" have done nothing of the sort.

If the fuel is dirty, or the fuel tap is leaking, or the vacuum line is leaking fuel into the inlet manifold, that is not the responsibility of the shop - remember, they have not laid a spanner on those parts.

That might be what you would do, but at this stage, it doesn't seem that the shop has done anything really wrong... I think you might have jumped to too many conclusions in this case.

It is quite possible, since there does not seem to have been any more fuel leaking from the carb after it was repaired by the shop, that any problems from the fuel leaking, via the carb, all occurred before he took it in.

It pays to be calm, logical and methodical when dealing with any mechanical issues.

All the best

Trevor G
  8. As mentioned in my response to typhoon, "they" have not done anything according to what you have told us.

The fuel in the sump is not an unusual problem - it has been raised in netrider before, and on Kawasakis as well.

The sump needs to be drained and refilled with nice oil.

The fuel leak needs to be identified - since you no longer saw fuel flowing from the overflow after the repair, we can assume that there is some other way that it is getting into the engine. I covered those areas in my response to typhoon.

It's really not the fault of the shop who repaired your carb...based on the information you have supplied so far. Don't get mad at them...they haven't done anything wrong, not yet, and maybe never.

I think your bike has an automatic or diaphragm fuel tap, which turns "off" when the engine is not running. If the tap has crud blocking the valve, or a damaged diaphragm, then the fuel can continue to flow into the carb if the needle and seat also gets blocked by rubbish.

Is the bike still at the shop?

All the best

Trevor G
  9. On my first bike i had the same problem, the floats in the carby always stayed down and when fuel level inside was full to lift the floats it didnt. As a result i had the same problem (my fuel tap was off too, but it still drips slowly). The next morning my house smelt on fuel i went into the garage and fuel everywhere leaking from the motor (all 4 litres of it).

What i did was removed the sparky, put it in neutral and got my brother to push me then put it in gear and all the fuel spat out from top, very messy but got the job done and worked a treat after that.

It'd suck being in ur position, the mechanics are obviously fu*kwits. Like what someone else said ring Fair Trading and they will let u know if u have a claim.
  10. hang on, this is not necessarily the case.
    OP hasnt clarified anything yet.
    from my interpretation of his post, he took a CARBURETTOR ONLY to the mechanics, to be serviced. he then fitted it to his bike.
    so, this saved him quite some dollars labour, as the shop didnt have to dismantle the bike. However, this removes ALL liability from the shop RE: bike as a whole.
    so, OP, clarify this for us.
  11. Only the crap ones :wink:
  12. You've got one problem that has caused 3 problems.

You've had some crap come through the tank. This may be rust, so have a good look inside your tank.

The crap has lodged in your tap so it is not seating properly. The crap has also lodged in the seat of the float needle.

this means fuel is leaking out of the tank and into the crankcase.

so long as they haven't tried to start the engine the fuel in the crankcase isn't really a problem. Just drain and replace as described above. In fact it may even give it a good clean.

You need to get the tank flushed, the tap pulled apart and cleaned and the bottom end of the carbie fully cleaned.

You may need to put a coat on the inside of your tank.
  13. Okay, but he took the bike back for further repairs and one week later he sees they left the fuel tap on, AND if they fixed the carby like they were supposed to then it shouldn't of flooded the engine and caused it to leak through the crankcase etc.
    I would be blowing fuses at em.
  14. Only one question needed. 'Are you running Vista?' :twisted:

(sorry OT but too hard to resist)
  15. I misread OP's first post, I thought he took teh bike in for carb work.
    OP, you suck as a mechanic.

Regards, Andrew.
  16. LOL. You might get away with that, I think. ;-)

PS It can take a while to learn all the tricks. I've been caught out in the past...
  17. I think you need to stop and read it carefully too, before you say any more.

Part of good diagnostic technique is being able to listen carefully to someone describe what happens and then to actually pick up all the info that is important for the solution.

I think you might have missed/overlooked too much and jumped to too many cocnlusions at this stage. ;-)

Cheers (and all the best)

Trevor G
  18. Well they clearly left the fuel tap on :grin:
  19. Did the OP leave the fuel tap on when he delivered it? ;)