Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What has happened to motorcycling?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by StRider, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Another thread got me thinking about this, so here goes;

What has happened to motorcycling of late? There was a time when motorcycling was a way of life, when it came along with a rebellious attitude and if not complete disregard for the law, it certainly did not come with blind acceptance.

Lately I read of people calling for more police on our roads, others are praising cops for booking drivers and riders. WTF? Once upon a time when you got caught doing something wrong the first thing you thought of was 'can I run away?"

People are now debating whether they should filter or split lanes .... of course you should, goddamit that was one of the reasons you bought your bike to begin with. Who are all these new wooses?

Others are saying that they never even drink if they're riding. Hell, we never ever got drunk but stopping at a pub for a drink with friends was always part fo the scene. Now it's get togethers for lattes ..... (don't lecture me on coffee BTW, I grew up in Italy and was drinking coffee before I could walk). I still enjoy coffee, but I also like a beer.

Probably I'm a dinosaur, things do change and maybe I'm just starting to sound like someone from the 'previous generation'. I should mention I'm only 40 ....

I know heaps of my riding friends feel the same way ... that maybe motorcycling was better when it was a little more 'fringe'. Like most activities, once they reach the masses they lose their special feel. Is this all it is?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

2. I wasn't around in the bad old days but they sound like fun to me...

3. Maybe you're right, but it's not about to change.

Back in the war years and after, motorcycles were essential transport, here as well as in devastated Europe. A fringe of those riders saw them as a socially rebellious tool as well.

The Japanese made motorcycling respectable, while a fringe still wanted it to be out-there and rebellious.

Now our affluent society enables almost anybody to ride, and most peole can afford a bike (after all, they've already got heaps of other toys too).

And a fringe still wants it to be rebellious, but they are the minority against such a background. And rising fuel costs and parking costs, etc, will only increase that situation.

Of course, you could always buy yourself a Harley with illegal pipes :LOL:.

4. completely agree.....was saying to a mate recently people seem more interested in coffee nights then rides :?

Oh well keeps em off the good roads :wink:

5. drinking? yeah I won't drink & ride. I'm not that brave.

i break about 5739872508 other laws when I get on my bike though. splitting & speeding being the main 2. in fact, i got busted last week for being in a bus lane. same intersection I was busted at 2 years ago for the same thing.

The only thing I ever said about people breaking the law is they shouldn't biatch about it when they get busted. to say 'i was speeding & now I have no licence and that's bullshit and cops suck' - no, that's the law & you broke it, deal with it.

I'd prefer people said 'i got busted speeding & lost my licence. oh well, it sucks that I can't ride but.'

6. nah I'm too old to be a rebel now! In my teens, twenties and even early thirties I was a long haired, heavy metal tool that hung around bikies. Now I'm a dad who wants the world to be a good place for my kids without too many tools to ruin it.

If that means that you think I am to old, well guess what I don't give a fcuk what you think of me. :wink:

7. Maybe your glasses are a little rose tinted?

I am 41 and don't remember it as you do. I do remember my dad moaning about how it was different in his day. Doubtless my granddad used to cringe when my dad said that and wanted to remind him how much more hardcore it was in the 30's...and so on.

Go checkout Youtube if you want to be reminded about how people still want to rebel. There seems to be lots more crazy stuff now than when I was starting out.

Biking only became 'fringe' in the late 60's and 70's as people got wealthier and could afford cars. Bikes were pretty mainstream before then. I think my mum even rode in a sidecar!!

I don't think anything has changed. The same people want to do the same things. Just there are internet forums now that allow you to know what's going on.

8. It may have been the case that 'the joys of riding motorcycles' were a closely guarded secret. Real Bikers didn't want mainstream Joe Blogs and his missus knowing how much damn fun it was to ride.
    Someone leaked this into the general public, and now not only do Mr & Mrs Goodie-two-shoes wanna share in the fun, they want to change the sport into one that is now respected and law-abiding.
    Only takes a few to spoil it for the rest of us (me excluded, I may be 47 soon, but I'm a toddler when it comes to this GREAT passtime)
    :LOL: :LOL:

9. What 'spoils it' by having more people involved in riding??? Sounds like recreational snobbery to me.

10. I'm probably one of the offenders you're thinking of... but I'm OK with that. I think there's nuance to some of these things you're missing or ignoring. It's not so much applauding cops booking people in general, but saying 'if the cops are out there with a role to play, let 'em police the things that are really important like tailgating, changing lanes without indicating and such'.

I guess the other thing is that I now have a wife and kids. I no longer think I'm immortal, but I want to be - I don't want to die before my time. That means I realise there's a time and a place... but go for it when I can.

Oh, and, tongue in cheeck - all the wild and crazy don't-give-a-shit rebels are now riding scooters!

11. Hmm people with complete disregard for police and road rules.

What you need is one of these
    ricer_civic_2.

12. If you want things more 'fringe', get a different bike. Go race speedway on the weekends, or build a hardcore adventure bike. Put together a motard, or go back to some dirt/enduro roots.

I can't imagine anything less fringe than commuting to and from work with the occasional weekend jaunt through the twisties and I'd be amazed if it ever was.

It's an engine with two wheels, not a ticket to some romantic/rebellious lifestyle. :?

13. STRider, it is a very european thing, most of the rest of the world ride like panty waisted girly men

coming from the uk it is still seen as a rather rebelious thing to do and yes, the police are the enemy, so is anyone who wants to curtail your fun

14. Yeah, I think you got it on the head.

I'm a new rider and a daily commuter. I don't have much money and just wanted to simplify my life a little and ride a bike.

I initially looked at scooters, and it wasn't until I had done exhaustive research on those bikes that I came across my first CBR250RR, after which I completely switched my focus. I then wanted something with lots of gears, precise handling and a requirement for concentration and focus. Oh, yeah, and reasonably fast.

I'm a bit of a loner and the idea of getting around on a bike just suits my feelings. Riding a bike is efficient and focused. The more I ride the little cibby, the more I am enjoying learning the finer aspects of riding - balance, timing, cornering... everything.

I think filtering when the traffic is rediculous is a fantastic benefit of having a narrow vehicle. When and how you do it is entirely personal and you have to have a bit of the old 'farrk you, I can do what I want' reasoning.

I think there will always be another class of rider that is truely rebelious, however, no matter what era or age they may be. But, that ain't me and it ain't part of my identity.

15. Which is why, as a country of just 20 million, we have managed to produce several World Champions, and riders who have (and do) compete in all brands of motorcycle racing at the very highest level.....

16. Motorcycling was a lot less mainstream 30 years ago (even 20 years ago), but speaking personally I don't miss country town police treating a group of motorcyclists turning up in town as if the local patch club had turned up instead.

At least these days they can actually tell the difference :wink:

17. I'm with you STrider
    I'd much prefer a beer at a pub than a coffee..... However a lot of the people that attend are on restrictions and hence can't have a beer. :)

but yes,i think it is the way society is going.... toomany frickin preachers and do-gooders. drives me nuts :evil:

i swear we will wake upone day and will have to fill out a form and or be careful which way we wipe our fricken asses as it may contravene a new fcuking law they just though up :evil:

It seems as people become more aware? or educated (hence they question more)... the fcuking governments have to think up new laws and restrictions to keep us under control (with a certain dash of fear thrown in) and creat a bit more revenue as well

And as long as people keep swallowing the shit as it gets shovelled down the throats of the masses they will keep doing it.

You can't do this, you can't do that.......

EXAMPLE (related to riding): The introduction of front numberplates to motorcycles will make it safer to ride and reduce fatalities???? :?: :?:

EXPLANATION: front numberplates will make it easier to:

A - Keep track of where you are at all times (as they can track you on the plethora of traffic cams, surveilance cams (on businesses) and make it a lot easier to ID u and punish you for any slight offence blah,blah,blah
    B - Enable them to get more revenue by booking you in locations where the speed cameras don't face in the right direction to catch your rear plate.
    C - Probably increase your plates fees (as there are now 2??)

And then the fear and it's for your own good bullshit gets thrown in as 'it will reduce fatalities??????'

fcukING JOKE!!

I'm with you Strider!!!

18. Which is why you now need to be more creative in finding ways to fight the system. The direct approach is no longer popular simply because most people have worked out that it's just plain dumb. Much like bragging about illegal activity on a public forum (which only brings unwanted attention to ALL motorcyclists).

19. STrider it sounds like your riding with the wrong groups!

20. Maybe it's the forum environment that does it St Rider? I haven't seen much of a difference in the last 15-20 years 'out there', but maybe it's the type of riding I do, the type of bike I ride and who I ride with. For me, not a lot has changed :)

What seems to have changed is the way, amount and sheer number of people communicating via different channels i.e. forums etc.

I also think it does have something to do with people coming back into the fray, who's memories of riding may have blunted the realities (or made them stronger even!), more choices in bikes and LAMS, also people moving and being more mobile - lane-splitting, nodding, squidding etc weren't even really thought about in Tassie when I lived/rode there, here in Vic it's often talked about.

Get thee to a rally or poker run or something :)