Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What happens when you pick up a new bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by moog, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I'm picking up my new bike next monday and just wondering what happens when you get to the shop? It's fully paid but what paperwork will I have to do?

I mean does the shop register it in my name?

Will they insure it at the shop?

Do they run through any info about the bike or just give you the keys and say bye?

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on thir experience on picking up a new bike.

Also is there a link discussing correct ways of running in the engine?

2. www.google.com

There are 2 main schools of thought on the matter:
    1) Nothing under x rpm until y kms. Oil change at 500/1000/etc

2) Revv it very high, going through each gear, in the first 20kms, and use engine braking to slow down alot after reddling each gear. Then change oil after 20kms

Both have the normal stuff like avoid constant speed & rpm (ie no freeway/no sitting on the same speed for extended period).

The middleground is just ride it 'normally'. Ie. don't nancy it, but dont thrash it either. Then oil after say 100, then 500, 1000,etc.
  3. Rego, insurance, warranty

If you instruct them to or whichever name you request

If you ask them to or you can pre-arrange it so that cover start from the day you pick it up.

If they are a great bike shop they should. If they toss you the keys they are tossers :grin:

Get a friend to stretch your head to fit your smile.

As suggested, either google or user manual

Have fun, enjoy
  4. Take wet weather gear. It always rains when I get a new one.
  5. Nope, that wasnt my understanding of the generally accepted "2nd school of thought" on break-in's. No extreme revs, just full loading and no low or really high revs. Let it cool down fairly regularly.

Dyno, track (no brakes), or deserted road recommended. Instant licence loser with this method on the road.
  6. You also have to consider that the new bike has new tyres so you need to take it easy until you can scrub them in.
  7. hi. picked up my bike last week. it was registered in my name. I arranged insurance through them as I couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere. they spent a bit of time talking about the bike and how to run it in and what tyre pressure to use, checking the oil and coolant, oiling the chain, not glazing the discs, etc.
    the manual says keep the revs under 4000 for the first 800 k's, the dealer said don't go more than 1/2 way to redline but vary the revs. I started out fairly gently and after 300k on the weekend its settling down nicely. (you can feel the engine change and it gradually runs smoother at higher revs)

edit. ps I got two lectures on scrubbing the tyres in. one from the salesman and one from the tyre guy when I was talking to him about tyre pressures.
  8. Take a backpack for all the little odds and ends. Manual, paperwork copies, pillion seat or ducktail. Shaun and I picked up our new Gixxers from Peter Stevens on a Saturday morning. Gixxers only allow you to have either seat or ducktail on but not at same time like the Storm did. So, we had no bags but had to get pillion seats home. we ended up taping them to bikes ( dont ask). Shouldve seen our big smiles out the front of the shop that morning. We laughed all the way home.
  9. my tip - don't drop it on the footpath on the way out unlike someone i know with their first bike :oops:

congrats and enjoy :wink:

might've missed a thread about this but a belated congrats to the two of you. did you ride them to saturday night coffee? beautiful day to take them out for a first decent ride yesterday!
  10. Maybe this post should be highlighted - as it is the most likely cause of the 'first' off.
  11. My bike was ready to go a couple of days before I could get to the dealers.
    It was insured, pre delivered, oiled and fueled. I signed the reg papers and we went over the bike from top to bottom. I bought a couple of bits'n pieces then paid up.
    I chucked the extras in the car which my son drove home and I set off knowing I had new tyres and an unfamiliar bike under me. Upon looking when I got home (130k) I had gone almost to the edge of the tyres at some point anyway.....Oops! :grin:

The Bandit book says to keep it under 4,500RPM which happens to be 145ish in 6th and vary the revs and engine load.

If you're not sure, ask heaps of questions of the dealer. Make sure it has been checked over before you ride off. I did this by asking what they have to do to it out of the crate. There is a fair bit of assembly with some bikes so they have to work on them. Not just chuck fuel in and hand the keys over.

Its a great feeling. Enjoy.
  12. I havent yet had tyres that couldnt be scrubbed in within 5 or 10km. :?
  13. Experiences have varied with insurance obtained through dealers - you should at least get a quote from them and shop around a bit. You can get a Cover Note over the phone from whichever insurer you choose so you're covered from Minute One.
  14. Don't pop a wheelie when leaving the shop like I did: You loose the respect of the salesman.
    Oh what do you care. Go ahead and do it anyway. :LOL:
  15. You get on it & ride it home :roll: