Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Happened, What did you learn?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MattyB, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ("Who is your father, and what does he dooooo" haha)

I know these forums have been stocking up on accidents and accident threads lately, and I apologise for adding another, but I'm curious and this should be good.

What accident were you involved in, and what did you learn/change from it?

Spare us the parts we don't want to hear, just short and sweet how it happened, what went wrong, and what you learnt from it?

I'll put mine as an example, thoug most of the reg's know about it -

I came off due to lack of concentration - I learnt not to get on a bike if your mind isn't on the job.

2. Off#1
    Came off at traffic lights in city, broke to hard/late was not concentrating and didn't notice light change to red.
    Learnt to bloody look where i'm going!

Came off around a right hand corner on reefton spur, came in too fast, panicked, grabbed front brake, bike stood up and went in to the gravel shoulder.
    Learnt to be calm, trust the bike more and lean lean LEAN!
  3. off # 1
    going through diaginal slow down that you find in side streets clipped/scrapped centre part landed in gardened middle section

solution LOOK ahead where you want to go not at the obsticle in front of you
  4. what happened?? TARGET FIXATION...

Going through a left corner, muffed up my line and ended up staring at a signpost, which i inevitably crashed into...

what i learnt? Look where you WANT to go! Oh, and dont panick
  5. Which one? :p :LOL:

The most recent one is puzzling.

It was very familar road, I was riding at probably no more than 50%, (bringing up the rear, as I often do, on a group ride) and there was no identifiable reason for a gentle right-hand slide to turn into a vicious right-hand highside.

Several riders since have had 'moments' at the exact same corner, but close examination of the road surface gives no clues as to why...

What did I learn? That even at lowish speeds, these things can still bite you..

And, always, ALWAYS wear the proper gear....
  6. What = I managed to completely loop a brand new bike over backwards and turn it into a sorry mess.

Why? = I learned that no matter how many times you stall it, you don't rev it to the red line and then drop the clutch. Particularly if it weighs 2/3 of bugger all, even if it is only an 80cc 2-stroke and your first ever new bike.
  7. #1 Fell over in my driveway
    Lesson Learnt: When on a hill, make sure you turn off the bike and leave it in gear. That way, the bike wont roll forward when you are taking off your gear (ie helmet, golves etc)

I also had a close call where i assumed a driver wasnt going to pull out, but she pulled out at the very last minute.
    Lesson learnt: Even though you make eye contact with them, never disregard them as a risk. The chances are, they are probably going to pull out.
  8. Memory don't fail me now....

1980 - Pretty much first time in wet on L's and locked up backwheel downhill - leanred a skid on a bike bit harder to control that a pushie.

1981 - On way to beach in thongs, boardies & t-shirt. Some part of front brake broke and when I went to put brake on locked up and threw me over the front. Learned that bikes can break without warning and gravel rash hurts like hell.

1981 - Ploughed into back of car that had no brake lights working that stopped in middle of road - didn't want cops invovled as I was only on my P's. Learnt to pay attention.

1982 - Took sweeper way too fast and clipped shoulder. Learnt that sometimes you can't go twice the advisory speed limit.

1984 - Locked up shaft drive (dropped two gears) into a corner and got thrown from bike. I slid into car, bike went up driveway and landed on grass. Learnt that shaft drive bikes can't be ridden like a chain one and that bikes still travel well with no rider.

Pause riding

2003 - Car pulled around double parked armoured van and into me. Learned that idiots exist everywhere and that a headcheck would have saved all that sh!t

2004 - Wet carpark, didn't see some was gravel, front brake on in turn. Learnt that a 320kg bike can pin you to the ground and that good boots and draggins do a pretty good job of saving scratches.

2006 - rode up a footpath and forgot panniers were on and clipped concrete garbage bin. Learnt that panniers built tough and bike pretty easy to pick up when they're on.
  9. my one and only: approaching a T-intersection (controlled by lights), planning on turning right. I was in a line of cars... Followed the car in front a little too closely (5 feet or so, going about 10 k/hr), and unfortunately there was a large patch of oil in the middle of the intersection. By the time I saw the oil and reacted I didn't have the space to go around, and couldn't stop due to person on my tail I tried to straighten it up and hope to skate through. I didn't succeed.

What did I learn - I am glad for equipment as even this low speed off could have left me with serious road rash. And that some cage drivers also ride bikes (I had 2 cages stop to come to help - both were riders).
  10. here here.

(Un?)Fortunatly the biggest lesson Iv'e learnt thus far is try and hold off sneezing when you are riding with a cold....not cool. :sick:
  11. #1 - Raining/Dark, I was probably travelling too close for the conditions and about 5 cars ahead someone locked up their brakes causeing everyone else to do the same and i couldn't stop in time so i put it down.
    I had only been riding for a month and with the experience i have now i probably could've swerved to avoid te car instead of braking :(

#2 - Wet/Dark :( , Accelerated too fast out of a corner and the rear wheel spun then gripped and sent me flying over the bike :( .
    I learnt to take it easier in the wet and not get on the throttle so hard coming out of a corner.
  12. accident: the souffle went flat

lesson: learnt not to open oven to check on it before at least 1/2 has past.
  13. for the benefit of the newer riders, what does an oil patch look like?
    Surely it cant be as simple as a puddle of oil right?

I sometimes get scared of shiney black patches on the road... but i dont think that's oil right?
  14. Incident - Riding along a straight road at night. Car from other direction slows and indicates right. I slow down to ensure he has seen me or let him turn in front of me. Car pulls up to a complete halt. I progress forward. Car turns and knocks me off. Driver says "I didn't see you"

Lesson - Never ever trust a car to be predictable.
  15. Oil patches usually are seen (if they're seen at all) as a rainbowy sheen on the road surface, if that makes sense.. They are sometimes easier to spot at night because your light, or the street lights pick them up, and sometimes easier when the road is wet too, but it's the one you CAN'T see that bothers me :grin:
  16. +1

Also learned that clay pots are great for roasts, but you need to leave them in longer than an hour and a half most of the time.

Learned NOT to put hot water over cornflour unless you want instalumps.
  17. what 1: Titanic syndrome.. the maiden voyage. Riding from the spirit of tas to launceston overloaded taking it mildly easy. Looked over cut in to a straight and while leaning through the corner to gravel all over the road... hidden by the cutin / hill...

lesson: gravel is a biatch... and that you can dent tanks with your pelvis.
  18. In the dry, an oil patch will usually be darker than the surrounding road surface, in the wet, it will have water beading off it or running across it in trickles, kind of like on a waxed car.
    Be especially careful of oil at traffic lights if you live somewhere with lower socio-economic vehicles!
    Both easier to spot with polarised glasses in my opinion.

I learnt that a 265kg bike will definitely fall over if you let it, but it's not that hard to pick up by yourself!

Regards, Andrew.
  19. Dirt Incident: A tree jumped out in front of me.

Dirt Lesson: Sometimes full throttle on a CR500 is not the answer. (But most of the time it is!)

Road Incident: Lowside (front end lost) heading north towards Woori Yallock.

Road Lesson: New tyre + damp road + gravel + noticing the corner late = #$%(!!
  20. Came off going round the mother of all corners, Lemming Corner.

How did it happen? Inexperience in judging a good corner line, decreasing radius corner took me by suprise then target fixation and clenching arms to put the icing on the cake...and the bike on the ground.

Solution? Know the signs of a decreasing radius corner, pick a suitable turn point when approaching the corner and learn to keep the arms relaxed.