Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Gets Varnish Out of Denim?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by madwomanofdonnellyst, Jan 13, 2008.

1. In a moment of un-coordination I spilled clear varnish on my black Draggins. It was supposedly water-based, but several goes through the wash has only suceeded in turning it into a somewhat suspicious white stain :shock:

So yeah, any ideas as to what gets varnish out of denim? I use these jeans as work pants, and I don't want to be disturbing our clients with Monica Lewinski impressions!

2. Try turpentine.

3. Thanks. Here's hoping the turps doesn't bleach the black dye out of the trousers.
  4. You could try eucalyptus oil if it is water based varnish. It gets out grease stains.
  5. Try the turps inside the hem(?) or some other incospiscuos place before going ahead on the varnish.

6. nail polish remover??
  7. +1
  8. Peanut butter.

Ahem. Kidding. Watch out though, Varnish can be dangerous. A boy I knew died drinking varnish. It was an awful sight, but a beautiful finish.
  9. Ba dum tish!!
  10. 25 kilograms of TNT with a short fuse is the speediest method Guaranteed to remove the most stubborn stains. However using this method could have some unpleasant side effects.
  11. Seriously though;

Metho' is a good solvent and is compatible with water based paints etc...

good luck...

If that does not work try Methylethylkeytone. Use gloves and dont get any in your eyes.