Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What gear for the outback?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jantar, Jul 8, 2007.

1. In October I'll coming over to Aussie for the Postie Bike Challenge, and I somehow suspect that the riding gear I use in New Zealand won't be the most suitable for riding a CT110 from Brisbane to Cairns.

In NZ I ride in temperatures from -6C to +25C in full leathers, 2.5 mm with lining and pads. For warmer temperatures I wear Technic Jeans, but still the leather jacket.

I guess the Technic Jeans will be OK in the outback, and I have a pair of lightweight touring boots that shouldn't get too hot, but what do the more experienced riders reccommend?

Or should I just bring over my helmet, boots and gloves and buy what I need in Brisbane at the start?

All advice appreciated.
  2. It'll still get cold at night that time of year in the wide open spaces at night, I'd pack something suitable for 10 degrees or less, but wouldn't pack a whole wardrobe around it. I'd say on average, pack for say 8 degrees overnight and maybe 25-30 max during the day.
    Just think water, carry lots of it, and keep the sun off you with light but long sleeves if not wearing a jacket.
    I'd say what you have wil be fine. October tends to be fairly mild weather, not too much rain, but usually fairly windy.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Wear what you have mentioned and a good textile jacket, one that can be unzipped to end up with a vented jacket if it gets too hot. October should be fine and its not really the outback. I know the route goes inland a bit but its not really outback.

You will have fun.
    I wear a Joe Rocket Alter-Ego jacket if that helps.
  4. Nice plug! You're a sponsor's dream! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Thanks guys, On that basis I'll just bring over minimal gear and buy an additional jacket etc in Brisbane.
  6. Hey Jantar,
    I am doing the Postie bike challenge too!

I am using the riding gear I already have. I have the DriRider RallyCross Jacket and Pants. They are both pritty well ventalated but have liners (water proof and thermal) if they are required. The jacket has a camel back built in. I am trying to decide if I buy a cheap MX style helmet and goggles or I will just use my road helmet.

My riding boots are actualy offroad boots so they will be coming along too.

7. Beware - not too many "good" stores in Brisbane. Gear can be hard to come by here!