Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What does the term 'Motorcyclist" mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tweetster, May 26, 2011.

1. In years gone by and to some people still, it simply meant a person riding a motorbike. Is this still a fair assumption? or does that term mean different things to diffent individuals or groups of people?

2. The cool dude that walks around with a helmet and gets all the chicks. I'm that guy, whether I take the bike out that morning or not.
  3. Masochistic temporary citizen with an inflated ego. :)
  4. A rider who lives and breathes motorcycles and is prepared to learn about and work on their bike.
    Part time, coffee drinking,pristine leather wearing ,show ponies who pay to have their chains adjusted are not motorcyclists.

They are simply people who ride a bike.
  5. An American magazine????
  6. ^^^^^^^-see,he has no idea.

I knew it.
  7. and of course you do
  8. motorcycle rider.
  9. Isn't a motorcyclist a bicycle rider that's attached a little motor to his bike?
  10. That's me, but I'm working towards becoming the first one ;)
  11. Good,you qualify in my opinion.
  12. Heh, motorcyclists are just lazy cyclists.
  13. Isn't that a "mopedist"? Or have I just invented a new word?
  14. It does seem to mean different things to different people. To me, it just mean a person who rides motorcycles.

I seem to remember this impassioned debate over rider v motorcyclist v biker v bikie some time back. Semantic nonsense, like the angst over lane splitting going on at the moment. Towering peaks of passion and emotion over nothing, but that's the internet for you.
  15. Sorry, but I don't 'completely' agree.

Anyone who rides & has a passion about it.
    I do all my own maintainance & wouldn't have it any other way.
    Some others aren't so mechanicaly inclined, but that's OK too! :D
  16. I agree with this. Nice way of putting it streetmaster.

As a noob, I'm still somewhat nervous, but as I do more riding, it's getting less, and the FUN is taking over!
  17. Someone who rides a motorcycle. Even wankers who ride bikes to get women still ride motorcycles and by definition, I'm struggling to find another term for them.
  18. don't you think that we should be responding to the troll with troll-like answers; I know I did :LOL:???
  19. Q. Motorcyclist?

A. Someone who rides a motorbike.

There's that whole debate about rider, biker, bikie thing alluded to earlier in the thread and I'm not going to try and define any of them except to say that the posts talking about the emotion of the experience and living the lifestyle etc are more appropriately applied to one of the three other terms than they are motorcyclist.
  20. A simple machine that feels like an extension of myself because it's a passion that needs not, nor can be explained, to anyone who asks.
    It's in your mind most hours of the day.
    Even after nearing the end of a 1000K day, you're already thinking of your next journey.