Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what does it mean - noise in helmet?!?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by spoonta, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I'm getting a helmet, and at the shop, the guy was saying:

"X-12 is a racing helmet, more vents, meaning it'd be louder......." when compared to the XR-1100

What does "louder" mean?

isn't more vent = better? so u are less hot (tempreture wise)?!?

2. vents are a trade-off between comfort and noise, simple as that

air is rushing past the helmet at great speed, every interruption to the surface creates turbulence, the more interruptions, the more noise

buy the helmet you want and get some earmolds and you won't have to worry :)

3. What???
    Did you say something???
    :p

Seriously though, you'll quickly find out about noise as you get to hwy speeds and in the long term can affect you hearing.
    Earplugs-moulds or in my case earphones with some music make a big difference...

4. Joe's quip raises an interesting point. How many wear earplugs when riding. I tend to on longer distance stuff but not commuting around town?

5. I always wear earplugs.

Its the easiest way to ensure any helmet is quiet.

The only other way is a super aerodynamic helmet on a heavily wind shielded bike.

Its easiest to wear earplugs and then focus on a physically comfortable helmet.

6. IF its going to involve freeways or 100ks plus roads for any length of time, I use the plugs, short trips in suburban areas, I don't bother..

7. I ride 80kms a day on the freeway. For the first 2 weeks I rode without ear plugs or headphones...boring ride and it was noisy, but didn't know it at the time (thought it was normal-ish). Next few months I started using in-ear head phones with my phone...it made the ride much more enjoyable (with radio playing) and wind noise was considerably lowered. Managed to lose my in-ear headphone rubber surround and so used ear plugs. What a god send, the wind noise was reduced even more and it is pretty much quiet (bar the whistle from visor).

You have to also bear in mind that the wind noise will be much louder on a windy day.

8. for me, if the ride is longer than 40mins I wear ear plugs otherwise I get off the bike with wind noise bouncing around my ears and a headache

9. I always use in-ear noise reduction headphones plugged in to my Ipod when I go out,
    I remember trying my brothers helmet once and was thinking dam thing is loud... after i told him his helmet was a POS I remembered I didn't have my earphones in and my helmet sounded the same.. :oops:

10. ok, another i need to buy.. ear plugs...

but then, would it be dangerous not being able to hear the noise around u..

like syrons or honks?!

11. All you people wearing ipods - doesn't the lack of ability to hear traffic, sirens etc worry you ?

12. I'd say there a degree of bullshit going on here. Helmet shape will influence noise a lot more than ventilation.

with regards ear plugs, the cheap foam one just filter the dangerous noises away. You can still hear at 90%.

At the other end of the scale you can buy musicians earplugs. These are molded to your ears and allow you to hear what you want without the damaging noise.

13. general consensus is 'no', same for earplugs, they filter out noise but you can still hear what you need to hear

remember, whether a noisy helmet or any other concentration of noise, once you lose hearing in a certain range (or any range) you never get it back

I wear earplugs even if I'm riding round the corner to get petrol

14. All sound is lowered in volume (not evenly over the frequency ranges), so the relative volume and timbre of sounds remains. You shouldnt have any trouble hearing sirens (if youre an alert person anyways - I encounter so many people with poor hearing perception)

Constant loud sounds will fatigue you and lower your overall concentration over time, which isnt what you want on a motorcycle.

15. the noise is the voices in your head trying to escape

16. This was my understanding, but more recently I got some information that hearing can repair itself and that too much quiet can result in partial deafness too.

I like to hear from and expert on this.

(yes it was intended)

Ahh that explains everything.

17. I accept that hearing may repair itself, but in my case, it hasn't

at least that's what I tell Mrs Hornet when she asks me to take out the garbage :LOL:

18. I wear ear plugs or in-ear headphones with an MP3 player (depending on mood) when I'm going to be on the bike at speed for an hour or more.

The in-ear headphones can be a problem if you have the music turned up to loud. I read somewhere, it might have been on this forum, that the best way to 'tune' the headphones is in your lounge room. You set the TV to the normal volume then put in the ear phones, put on your helmet and adjust the volume on the MP3/iPod thingy until you can only just hear the TV. Seems to work for me.

The best ear phones I've owned had an 'in-line' volume control. Brilliant, you can turn it up at highway speeds, but turn them down or even off when going through a town. Unfortunately one of my sons borrowed them and they've never worked since.

19. Ah, selective deafness, I think most men who have been married a while develop that. Funny thing though is as soon as she mentions the promise of beer or sex my hearing (and memory) is perfect.

20. Dont get an M2R TT, 2 vents on front+lots of noise = no cooling+headaches.
    I have to wear earplugs on my bike if im going for a decent length ride or i end up with ringing ears.